Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cdc6
Description: DNA polymerase delta catalytic subunit Cdc6
Alias: mis10, pol3, pold, DNA polymerase delta catalytic subunit Cdc6
Species: fission yeast
- Takahashi K, Yamada H, Yanagida M. Fission yeast minichromosome loss mutants mis cause lethal aneuploidy and replication abnormality. Mol Biol Cell. 1994;5:1145-58 pubmed..Progression of the G1 and G2 phases is blocked in mis11. The cloned mis11+ gene is identical to prp2+, which is essential for RNA splicing and similar to a mammalian splicing factor U2AF65. ..
- Bueno A, Russell P. Dual functions of CDC6: a yeast protein required for DNA replication also inhibits nuclear division. EMBO J. 1992;11:2167-76 pubmedThe Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene CDC6, whose protein product is required for DNA replication, is transcribed only in late G1 and S phases. We have discovered a critical reason why CDC6 expression is regulated in this fashion...
- Forsburg S, Sherman D, Ottilie S, Yasuda J, Hodson J. Mutational analysis of Cdc19p, a Schizosaccharomyces pombe MCM protein. Genetics. 1997;147:1025-41 pubmed..Not surprisingly, conserved residues in the MCM homology domain are required for protein function, but some residues outside the core homology domain are dispensable. ..
- Snaith H, Forsburg S. Rereplication phenomenon in fission yeast requires MCM proteins and other S phase genes. Genetics. 1999;152:839-51 pubmed..Thus rereplication in fission yeast mimics the DNA synthesis of normal S phase, and the inability to rereplicate provides an excellent assay for novel S-phase mutants. ..
- Miyabe I, Kunkel T, Carr A. The major roles of DNA polymerases epsilon and delta at the eukaryotic replication fork are evolutionarily conserved. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002407 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data and earlier results in budding yeast indicate that the major roles of Pol? and Pol? at the eukaryotic replication fork are evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Kanoh J, Francesconi S, Collura A, Schramke V, Ishikawa F, Baldacci G, et al. The fission yeast spSet1p is a histone H3-K4 methyltransferase that functions in telomere maintenance and DNA repair in an ATM kinase Rad3-dependent pathway. J Mol Biol. 2003;326:1081-94 pubmed..Our results suggest that SpSet1p and the ATM kinase Rad3 function in a common genetic pathway linking chromatin to telomere length regulation and DNA repair. ..
- Ranatunga N, Forsburg S. Characterization of a Novel MMS-Sensitive Allele of Schizosaccharomyces pombe mcm4. G3 (Bethesda). 2016;6:3049-3063 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, we found that the deletion of rif1+ suppressed the MMS-sensitive phenotype without affecting temperature sensitivity. Together, these data suggest that mcm4-c106 destabilizes replisome structure. ..
- Sanchez Garcia J, Baranovskiy A, Knatko E, Gray F, Tahirov T, MacNeill S. Functional mapping of the fission yeast DNA polymerase delta B-subunit Cdc1 by site-directed and random pentapeptide insertion mutagenesis. BMC Mol Biol. 2009;10:82 pubmed publisher..delta is a heterotetrameric enzyme comprising four evolutionarily well-conserved proteins: the catalytic subunit Pol3 and three smaller subunits Cdc1, Cdc27 and Cdm1...
- Mochida S, Esashi F, Aono N, Tamai K, O Connell M, Yanagida M. Regulation of checkpoint kinases through dynamic interaction with Crb2. EMBO J. 2004;23:418-28 pubmed..Hyperphosphorylation of Crb2 is also dependent on its intact BRCT. Finally, we show direct interaction between Rad3 and Crb2, which is inhibitory to Rad3 activity. Hence, Crb2 is the first to interact with both Rad3 and Chk1 kinases. ..
- Dovey C, Russell P. Mms22 preserves genomic integrity during DNA replication in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Genetics. 2007;177:47-61 pubmed..We propose that Mms22 functions directly at the replication fork to maintain genomic integrity in a pathway involving Mus81-Eme1. ..
- Locovei A, Spiga M, Tanaka K, Murakami Y, D URSO G. The CENP-B homolog, Abp1, interacts with the initiation protein Cdc23 (MCM10) and is required for efficient DNA replication in fission yeast. Cell Div. 2006;1:27 pubmed..However, no delay is observed when cells are released from an early S phase arrest induced by hydroxyurea suggesting that Abp1 functions prior to, or coincident with, the initiation of DNA replication. ..
- Kanke M, Kodama Y, Takahashi T, Nakagawa T, Masukata H. Mcm10 plays an essential role in origin DNA unwinding after loading of the CMG components. EMBO J. 2012;31:2182-94 pubmed publisher..These results show that Mcm10, together with the CMG components, plays a novel essential role in origin DNA unwinding through its zinc-finger function. ..
- Francesconi S, Grenon M, Bouvier D, Baldacci G. p56(chk1) protein kinase is required for the DNA replication checkpoint at 37 degrees C in fission yeast. EMBO J. 1997;16:1332-41 pubmed
- Saka Y, Esashi F, Matsusaka T, Mochida S, Yanagida M. Damage and replication checkpoint control in fission yeast is ensured by interactions of Crb2, a protein with BRCT motif, with Cut5 and Chk1. Genes Dev. 1997;11:3387-400 pubmed..Moreover, moderate overexpression of Chk1 suppresses the phenotypes of cut5 and crb2 mutants. Cut5, Crb2, and Chk1 thus may form a checkpoint sensor-transmitter pathway to arrest the cell cycle. ..
- Ryu G, Tanaka H, Kim D, Kim J, Bae S, Kwon Y, et al. Genetic and biochemical analyses of Pfh1 DNA helicase function in fission yeast. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:4205-16 pubmed..Our genetic data indicate that the Pfh1 DNA helicase acts in concert with Cdc24 and Dna2 to process single-stranded DNA flaps generated in vivo by pol -mediated lagging strand displacement DNA synthesis. ..
- Pignede G, Moussy G, Bouvier D, Tillit J, de Recondo A, Baldacci G. Expression of the catalytic subunits of pol alpha and pol delta from fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Chromosoma. 1992;102:S128-32 pubmed..Constitutive expression of S. pombe pol delta in E. coli was possible only with vectors containing truncated forms of its gene, indicating a toxic effect of pol delta on E. coli growth. ..
- Daigaku Y, Keszthelyi A, Müller C, Miyabe I, Brooks T, Retkute R, et al. A global profile of replicative polymerase usage. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2015;22:192-198 pubmed publisher..However, our data suggest a subtle variability in the usage of the two polymerases within individual replicons. We propose that this results from occasional leading-strand initiation by Pol? followed by exchange for Pol?. ..
- Belfield C, Queenan C, Rao H, Kitamura K, Walworth N. The oxidative stress responsive transcription factor Pap1 confers DNA damage resistance on checkpoint-deficient fission yeast cells. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e89936 pubmed publisher..promotes survival of chk1-deficient cells with mutations in genes encoding DNA ligase (cdc17) or DNA polymerase ? (cdc6), but not DNA replication initiation mutants...
- Akai Y, Kurokawa Y, Nakazawa N, Tonami Murakami Y, Suzuki Y, Yoshimura S, et al. Opposing role of condensin hinge against replication protein A in mitosis and interphase through promoting DNA annealing. Open Biol. 2011;1:110023 pubmed publisher..We show that 16 suppressor mutations of cut14-Y1 were all mapped within the hinge domain, which surrounded the original L543 mutation site. ..
- Alleva J, Zuo S, Hurwitz J, Doetsch P. In vitro reconstitution of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe alternative excision repair pathway. Biochemistry. 2000;39:2659-66 pubmed
- Pai C, Garcia I, Wang S, Cotterill S, MacNeill S, Kearsey S. GINS inactivation phenotypes reveal two pathways for chromatin association of replicative alpha and epsilon DNA polymerases in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1213-22 pubmed publisher..We suggest that GINS functions in a pathway that involves Cdc45 and is necessary for DNA polymerase epsilon chromatin binding, but that a separate pathway sets up the chromatin association of DNA polymerase alpha. ..
- Moser B, Subramanian L, Chang Y, Noguchi C, Noguchi E, Nakamura T. Differential arrival of leading and lagging strand DNA polymerases at fission yeast telomeres. EMBO J. 2009;28:810-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, the conversion of telomere states involves an unanticipated intermediate step where lagging strand synthesis is delayed until telomerase is recruited. ..
- Castrec B, Laurent S, Henneke G, Flament D, Raffin J. The glycine-rich motif of Pyrococcus abyssi DNA polymerase D is critical for protein stability. J Mol Biol. 2010;396:840-8 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that the (G)-PYF box motif mediates intersubunit interactions and that it may be crucial for the thermostability of PabPol D...
- Hirano T, Funahashi S, Uemura T, Yanagida M. Isolation and characterization of Schizosaccharomyces pombe cutmutants that block nuclear division but not cytokinesis. EMBO J. 1986;5:2973-9 pubmed..A novel mutant nuc1 is also described which shows a cytological phenotype similar to the double mutant of DNA topoisomerases I and II but contains normal levels of both DNA topoisomerase activities. ..
- Santosa V, Martha S, Hirose N, Tanaka K. The fission yeast minichromosome maintenance (MCM)-binding protein (MCM-BP), Mcb1, regulates MCM function during prereplicative complex formation in DNA replication. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:6864-80 pubmed publisher..These results strongly suggest that Mcb1 promotes efficient pre-RC formation during DNA replication by regulating the MCM complex...
- Noguchi E, Noguchi C, McDonald W, Yates J, Russell P. Swi1 and Swi3 are components of a replication fork protection complex in fission yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8342-55 pubmed..We propose that Swi1 and Swi3 define a fork protection complex that coordinates leading- and lagging-strand synthesis and stabilizes stalled replication forks. ..
- Liu V, Bhaumik D, Wang T. Mutator phenotype induced by aberrant replication. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:1126-35 pubmed
- Uchiyama M, Galli I, Griffiths D, Wang T. A novel mutant allele of Schizosaccharomyces pombe rad26 defective in monitoring S-phase progression to prevent premature mitosis. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:3103-15 pubmed..A model of how Rad26 monitors S-phase progression to maintain the dependency of cell cycle events and coordinates with other rad/hus checkpoint gene products in responding to radiation damage is proposed. ..
- Chen X, Zuo S, Kelman Z, O Donnell M, Hurwitz J, Goodman M. Fidelity of eucaryotic DNA polymerase delta holoenzyme from Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:17677-82 pubmed..A comparison of pol delta HE with E. coli pol IIIalpha HE (lacking the proofreading exonuclease subunit) showed that both holoenzymes exhibit similar error rates for each mispair. ..
- Boddy M, Lopez Girona A, Shanahan P, Interthal H, Heyer W, Russell P. Damage tolerance protein Mus81 associates with the FHA1 domain of checkpoint kinase Cds1. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:8758-66 pubmed..Inactivation of Mus81 triggers a checkpoint-dependent delay of mitosis. We propose that Mus81 is involved in the recruitment of Cds1 to aberrant DNA structures where Cds1 modulates the activity of damage tolerance enzymes. ..