Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cdc4
Description: myosin II light chain cdc4
Alias: myosin II light chain cdc4
Species: fission yeast
- Balasubramanian M, McCollum D, Chang L, Wong K, Naqvi N, He X, et al. Isolation and characterization of new fission yeast cytokinesis mutants. Genetics. 1998;149:1265-75 pubmed..In addition, we have characterized a phenotype that has not been described previously in cytokinesis mutants, namely the failure to reorganize actin patches to the medial region of the cell in preparation for septum formation. ..
- Laporte D, Coffman V, Lee I, Wu J. Assembly and architecture of precursor nodes during fission yeast cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:1005-21 pubmed publisher..Mid1 first recruits Cdc4 and IQGAP Rng2 to form module I. Rng2 subsequently recruits the myosin-II subunits Myo2 and Rlc1...
- Naqvi N, Eng K, Gould K, Balasubramanian M. Evidence for F-actin-dependent and -independent mechanisms involved in assembly and stability of the medial actomyosin ring in fission yeast. EMBO J. 1999;18:854-62 pubmed..Once established, however, F-actin is not required for the maintenance of Cdc4p and Myo2p medial rings, suggesting that the attachment of Cdc4p and Myo2p to the division site involves proteins other than actin itself. ..
- Salimova E, Sohrmann M, Fournier N, Simanis V. The S. pombe orthologue of the S. cerevisiae mob1 gene is essential and functions in signalling the onset of septum formation. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 10):1695-704 pubmed..We also demonstrate that mob1p can be precipitated from cells in a complex with the septation regulating kinase sid2p. ..
- D souza V, Naqvi N, Wang H, Balasubramanian M. Interactions of Cdc4p, a myosin light chain, with IQ-domain containing proteins in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Cell Struct Funct. 2001;26:555-65 pubmed..We concluded that Cdc4p, a novel myosin light chain, interacts with multiple actomyosin ring components to effect cytokinesis. ..
- Le Goff X, Motegi F, Salimova E, Mabuchi I, Simanis V. The S. pombe rlc1 gene encodes a putative myosin regulatory light chain that binds the type II myosins myo3p and myo2p. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 Pt 23:4157-63 pubmed..Two myosin-II heavy chains have been identified in fission yeast: Co-immunoprecipitation experiments indicate that rlc1p associates more strongly with myo3p than myo2p. ..
- Sipiczki M, Grallert B, Miklos I. Mycelial and syncytial growth in Schizosaccharomyces pombe induced by novel septation mutations. J Cell Sci. 1993;104 ( Pt 2):485-93 pubmed..closely related functions as their mutant alleles interact with each other and with another septation mutant cdc4-8...
- Naqvi N, Wong K, Tang X, Balasubramanian M. Type II myosin regulatory light chain relieves auto-inhibition of myosin-heavy-chain function. Nat Cell Biol. 2000;2:855-8 pubmed..We conclude that the sole essential function of RLCs in fission yeast is to relieve the auto-inhibition of myosin II function, which is mediated by the RLC-binding site, on the myosin heavy chain (MHC). ..
- Le Goff X, Woollard A, Simanis V. Analysis of the cps1 gene provides evidence for a septation checkpoint in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Gen Genet. 1999;262:163-72 pubmed..Analysis of the interaction of cps1 with other mutations suggests the existence of a septation checkpoint, which requires the activity of the protein kinase weel for function. ..
- Eng K, Naqvi N, Wong K, Balasubramanian M. Rng2p, a protein required for cytokinesis in fission yeast, is a component of the actomyosin ring and the spindle pole body. Curr Biol. 1998;8:611-21 pubmed..The rng2 gene showed genetic interactions with three other actomyosin ring assembly mutants, cdc4, cdc12, and rng5. The S...
- Mishra M, Karagiannis J, Trautmann S, Wang H, McCollum D, Balasubramanian M. The Clp1p/Flp1p phosphatase ensures completion of cytokinesis in response to minor perturbation of the cell division machinery in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:3897-910 pubmed..We conclude that the Clp1p/Flp1p-dependent cytokinesis checkpoint provides a previously unrecognized cell survival advantage when the cell division apparatus is mildly perturbed. ..
- Chang F, Woollard A, Nurse P. Isolation and characterization of fission yeast mutants defective in the assembly and placement of the contractile actin ring. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 1):131-42 pubmed..cdc12 and cdc15 mutants display disorganized actin patches during mitosis, but normal interphase actin patterns. cdc4 and rng2 mutants display disorganized actin cables during mitosis, but normal interphase actin patterns...
- Padmanabhan A, Bakka K, Sevugan M, Naqvi N, D souza V, Tang X, et al. IQGAP-related Rng2p organizes cortical nodes and ensures position of cell division in fission yeast. Curr Biol. 2011;21:467-72 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Mid1p recruits Rng2p to cortical nodes at the division site and that Rng2p, in turn, recruits other components of the actomyosin ring to cortical nodes, thereby ensuring correct placement of the division site. ..
- Pollard L, Onishi M, Pringle J, Lord M. Fission yeast Cyk3p is a transglutaminase-like protein that participates in cytokinesis and cell morphogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2433-44 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the proposed evolution of animal transglutaminase cross-linking activity from ancestral bacterial thiol proteases was accompanied by the emergence of a subclass whose function does not depend on enzymatic activity. ..
- Pinar M, Coll P, Rincon S, Perez P. Schizosaccharomyces pombe Pxl1 is a paxillin homologue that modulates Rho1 activity and participates in cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1727-38 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest that Pxl1 modulates Rho1 GTPase signaling and plays a role in the formation and contraction of the actomyosin ring during cytokinesis. ..
- Nakano K, Mabuchi I. Actin-capping protein is involved in controlling organization of actin cytoskeleton together with ADF/cofilin, profilin and F-actin crosslinking proteins in fission yeast. Genes Cells. 2006;11:893-905 pubmed..In addition, CP is likely involved in assembling the F-actin contractile ring and F-actin patch with F-actin-crosslinking proteins. ..
- Demeter J, Sazer S. imp2, a new component of the actin ring in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:415-27 pubmed..imp2 also shows genetic interactions with several, previously characterized septation genes, strengthening the conclusion that it plays a role in normal fission yeast septation. ..
- Nakano K, Mabuchi I. Actin-depolymerizing protein Adf1 is required for formation and maintenance of the contractile ring during cytokinesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:1933-45 pubmed..Tropomyosin was shown to antagonize the function of Adf1 in the contractile ring. We propose that formation and maintenance of the contractile ring are achieved by a balanced collaboration of these proteins. ..
- Wu J, Ye Y, Wang N, Pollard T, Pringle J. Cooperation between the septins and the actomyosin ring and role of a cell-integrity pathway during cell division in fission yeast. Genetics. 2010;186:897-915 pubmed publisher..One mutation affects Cdc4, a myosin light chain that is an essential component of the cytokinetic actomyosin ring...
- Escobar Cabrera E, Venkatesan M, Desautels M, Hemmingsen S, McIntosh L. Dissecting the domain structure of Cdc4p, a myosin essential light chain involved in Schizosaccharomyces pombe cytokinesis. Biochemistry. 2005;44:12136-48 pubmed..We hypothesize that these properties reflect a conformational plasticity of the C-domain, which may allow Cdc4p to interact with several regulatory or contractile ring proteins necessary for cytokinesis. ..
- Yamashita A, Sato M, Fujita A, Yamamoto M, Toda T. The roles of fission yeast ase1 in mitotic cell division, meiotic nuclear oscillation, and cytokinesis checkpoint signaling. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:1378-95 pubmed..Ase1, therefore, couples anaphase completion with cytokinesis upon cell division. ..
- McCollum D, Balasubramanian M, Gould K. Identification of cold-sensitive mutations in the Schizosaccharomyces pombe actin locus. FEBS Lett. 1999;451:321-6 pubmed..One of these mutations (act1-48) was identified as an extragenic suppressor of a mutation in the cdc4 gene, which is required for actin ring formation and cytokinesis...
- Cadou A, Couturier A, Le Goff C, Xie L, Paulson J, Le Goff X. The Kin1 kinase and the calcineurin phosphatase cooperate to link actin ring assembly and septum synthesis in fission yeast. Biol Cell. 2013;105:129-48 pubmed publisher..In contrast, Kin1 inactivation rescues septation in a myosin light-chain cdc4-8 thermosensitive mutant...
- Tebbs I, Pollard T. Separate roles of IQGAP Rng2p in forming and constricting the Schizosaccharomyces pombe cytokinetic contractile ring. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:1904-17 pubmed publisher..The Rng2p C-terminal domain is the only domain essential for viability. Our studies identified several distinct functions of Rng2 at multiple stages of cytokinesis...
- Coffman V, Sees J, Kovar D, Wu J. The formins Cdc12 and For3 cooperate during contractile ring assembly in cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:101-14 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that different formins cooperate in cytokinesis and that de novo actin assembly at the division site is predominant for contractile ring formation. ..
- Goss J, Kim S, Bledsoe H, Pollard T. Characterization of the roles of Blt1p in fission yeast cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:1946-57 pubmed publisher..We find three defects that likely contribute to this delay. Without Blt1p, contractile rings recruited and retained less Sid2p/Mob1p and Clp1p phosphatase, and ?-glucan synthase Bgs1p accumulated slowly at the cleavage site. ..
- Slupsky C, Desautels M, Huebert T, Zhao R, Hemmingsen S, McIntosh L. Structure of Cdc4p, a contractile ring protein essential for cytokinesis in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:5943-51 pubmedThe Schizosaccharomyces pombe Cdc4 protein is required for the formation and function of the contractile ring, presumably acting as a myosin light chain...
- Kovar D, Wu J, Pollard T. Profilin-mediated competition between capping protein and formin Cdc12p during cytokinesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:2313-24 pubmed..Given that capping protein arrives at the division site 20 min later than Cdc12p, capping protein may slowly replace Cdc12p on filament barbed ends in preparation for filament disassembly during ring constriction. ..
- Jang Y, Park S, Yoo H. Isolation of an HSP12-homologous gene of Schizosaccharomyces pombe suppressing a temperature-sensitive mutant allele of cdc4. Gene. 1996;172:125-9 pubmed..Mutations in one of the late septation genes, cdc4, cause Sp cells to arrest at cytokinesis and result in an elongated cellular morphology...