Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cdc10
Description: MBF transcription factor complex subunit Cdc10
Alias: MBF transcription factor complex subunit Cdc10
Species: fission yeast
- Dutta C, Patel P, Rosebrock A, Oliva A, Leatherwood J, Rhind N. The DNA replication checkpoint directly regulates MBF-dependent G1/S transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:5977-85 pubmed publisher..We propose a mechanism for this regulation, based on in vitro phosphorylation of the Cdc10 subunit of MBF by the Cds1 replication-checkpoint kinase...
- Aligianni S, Lackner D, Klier S, Rustici G, Wilhelm B, Marguerat S, et al. The fission yeast homeodomain protein Yox1p binds to MBF and confines MBF-dependent cell-cycle transcription to G1-S via negative feedback. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000626 pubmed publisher..Compared to the orthologous budding yeast Yox1p, which indirectly functions in a negative feedback loop for cell-cycle transcription, similarities but also notable differences in the wiring of the regulatory circuits are evident. ..
- Nadeem F, Blair D, McInerny C. Pol5p, a novel binding partner to Cdc10p in fission yeast involved in rRNA production. Mol Genet Genomics. 2006;276:391-401 pubmed..Pol5p is shown to bind to rDNA promoter fragments. Potentially, we have identified a mechanism by which Cdc10p controls rDNA gene expression, therefore linking the cell cycle with cellular growth. ..
- Maqbool Z, Kersey P, Fantes P, McInerny C. MCB-mediated regulation of cell cycle-specific cdc22+ transcription in fission yeast. Mol Genet Genomics. 2003;269:765-75 pubmed..Finally, we show that both clusters are orientation-dependent in their function. The significance of these results, in the context of MCB-mediated regulation of G1-S expression in fission yeast, is discussed. ..
- Whitehall S, Stacey P, Dawson K, Jones N. Cell cycle-regulated transcription in fission yeast: Cdc10-Res protein interactions during the cell cycle and domains required for regulated transcription. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:3705-15 pubmed..the MBF (DSC1) complex mediates transcriptional activation at Start and is composed of a common subunit called Cdc10 in combination with two alternative DNA-binding partners, Res1 and Res2...
- Miyamoto M, Tanaka K, Okayama H. res2+, a new member of the cdc10+/SWI4 family, controls the 'start' of mitotic and meiotic cycles in fission yeast. EMBO J. 1994;13:1873-80 pubmedIn the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe, the cdc10+ and res1+ genes play a crucial role in the start of mitotic and meiotic cycles...
- McInerny C, Kersey P, Creanor J, Fantes P. Positive and negative roles for cdc10 in cell cycle gene expression. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:4761-8 pubmedIn this paper we describe properties of the cdc10-C4 mutant of the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe...
- Ng S, Anderson M, White S, McInerny C. mik1(+) G1-S transcription regulates mitotic entry in fission yeast. FEBS Lett. 2001;503:131-4 pubmed..is shown to be an important target of MCB-DSC1 as it is epistatic for the mitotic delay phenotype displayed in cdc10-C4 cells, which are mutated in a component of DSC1...
- Purtill F, Whitehall S, Williams E, McInerny C, Sharrocks A, Morgan B. A homeodomain transcription factor regulates the DNA replication checkpoint in yeast. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:664-70 pubmed..Collectively, our data has implications for understanding the mechanisms underlying the coordination of cell cycle processes in eukaryotes. ..
- de Bruin R, Kalashnikova T, Aslanian A, Wohlschlegel J, Chahwan C, Yates J, et al. DNA replication checkpoint promotes G1-S transcription by inactivating the MBF repressor Nrm1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:11230-5 pubmed publisher..This leads to the expression of genes encoding components that function in DNA replication and repair pathways important for cell survival in response to arrested DNA replication. ..
- Ayte J, Leis J, Herrera A, Tang E, Yang H, DeCaprio J. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe MBF complex requires heterodimerization for entry into S phase. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:2589-99 pubmed..a fragment of p72res1 containing this DNA-binding domain could rescue a strain carrying a temperature-sensitive cdc10 allele at the restrictive temperature as well as a strain with a cdc10 null allele...
- Grenon M, Tillit J, Piard K, Baldacci G, Francesconi S. The S/M checkpoint at 37 degrees C and the recovery of viability of the mutant poldeltats3 require the crb2+/rhp9+ gene in fission yeast. Mol Gen Genet. 1999;260:522-34 pubmed..Finally, both the crb2 deletion and the crb2-1 allele induced a rapid death phenotype in the poldeltats3 background at both 30 degrees C and 37 degrees C. The rapid death phenotype was independent of the checkpoint functions. ..
- Woollard A, Basi G, Nurse P. A novel S phase inhibitor in fission yeast. EMBO J. 1996;15:4603-12 pubmed..We conclude that p14spd1 is a negative regulator of S phase, and that it may be part of the control ensuring an orderly onset of S phase or part of a G1-->S phase checkpoint control. ..
- Shayeghi M, Doe C, Tavassoli M, Watts F. Characterisation of Schizosaccharomyces pombe rad31, a UBA-related gene required for DNA damage tolerance. Nucleic Acids Res. 1997;25:1162-9 pubmed..We have isolated the S.cerevisiae sequence, which we have named RHC31 ( ad31homologue in S. erevisiae), since we show that it can complement the slow growth phenotype and radiation sensitivity of S.pombe rad31. ..
- Toda T, Niwa H, Nemoto T, Dhut S, Eddison M, Matsusaka T, et al. The fission yeast sts5+ gene is required for maintenance of growth polarity and functionally interacts with protein kinase C and an osmosensing MAP-kinase pathway. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 9):2331-42 pubmed
- Saka Y, Yanagida M. Fission yeast cut5+, required for S phase onset and M phase restraint, is identical to the radiation-damage repair gene rad4+. Cell. 1993;74:383-93 pubmed..Mitosis and cytokinesis occur in the presence of hydroxyurea or in the double mutant cdc10-cut5 (the cdc10 mutation alone blocks progression from G1 to S)...
- Koyano T, Kume K, Konishi M, Toda T, Hirata D. Search for kinases related to transition of growth polarity in fission yeast. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010;74:1129-33 pubmed..Moreover, 5 kinases were required for NETO-delay in the G1-arrested cdc10 mutant. These results suggest that many signaling pathways are involved in the regulation of NETO.
- Hofmann J, Beach D. cdt1 is an essential target of the Cdc10/Sct1 transcription factor: requirement for DNA replication and inhibition of mitosis. EMBO J. 1994;13:425-34 pubmed..an immunoprecipitation-PCR cycle to isolate physically genomic DNA sequences that are bound by the fission yeast cdc10 gene product in an attempt to identify novel target genes...
- Ishiguro J, Yamada N. A novel mutation involved in the mitotic checkpoint in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Jpn J Genet. 1993;68:265-76 pubmed..A cdc10 cps8 double mutant remained lethal to high temperature, suggesting this double mutant to bypass the requirement ..
- Tournier S, Millar J. A role for the START gene-specific transcription factor complex in the inactivation of cyclin B and Cut2 destruction. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:3411-24 pubmed..Mutation of either Cdc10 or Res1 also deregulates MBF-dependent transcription and causes a G2 delay...
- Limbo O, Chahwan C, Yamada Y, de Bruin R, Wittenberg C, Russell P. Ctp1 is a cell-cycle-regulated protein that functions with Mre11 complex to control double-strand break repair by homologous recombination. Mol Cell. 2007;28:134-46 pubmed..Transcription of ctp1(+) is periodic during the cell cycle, with the onset of its expression coinciding with the start of DNA replication. These data suggest that regulation of Ctp1 underlies cell-cycle control of HR. ..
- Ivanova T, Alves Rodrigues I, Gómez Escoda B, Dutta C, DeCaprio J, Rhind N, et al. The DNA damage and the DNA replication checkpoints converge at the MBF transcription factor. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:3350-7 pubmed publisher..This is essential to reinitiate DNA synthesis and for correct G1-to-S transition. Here we show that Cdc10, which is an essential part of the MBF core, is the target of the DNA damage checkpoint...
- Cunliffe L, White S, McInerny C. DSC1-MCB regulation of meiotic transcription in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Genet Genomics. 2004;271:60-71 pubmed..The effect of mutating and over-expressing individual components of DSC1 (cdc10+, res1+, res2+, rep1+ and rep2+) on the transcription of cdc22+, rec8+ and rec11+ during meiosis was examined...
- Kitamura K, Maekawa H, Shimoda C. Fission yeast Ste9, a homolog of Hct1/Cdh1 and Fizzy-related, is a novel negative regulator of cell cycle progression during G1-phase. Mol Biol Cell. 1998;9:1065-80 pubmed..In the double mutants of ste9 cdc10(ts), cells arrested in G1-phase at the restrictive temperature, but the level of mitotic cyclin (Cdc13) did not ..
- Marks J, Fankhauser C, Reymond A, Simanis V. Cytoskeletal and DNA structure abnormalities result from bypass of requirement for the cdc10 start gene in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Sci. 1992;101 ( Pt 3):517-28 pubmedThe cdc10 gene of the fission yeast S. pombe is required for traverse of the start control in late G1 and commitment to the mitotic cell cycle...
- Snaith H, Forsburg S. Rereplication phenomenon in fission yeast requires MCM proteins and other S phase genes. Genetics. 1999;152:839-51 pubmed..Thus rereplication in fission yeast mimics the DNA synthesis of normal S phase, and the inability to rereplicate provides an excellent assay for novel S-phase mutants. ..
- Yoshida S, Al Amodi H, Nakamura T, McInerny C, Shimoda C. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe cdt2(+) gene, a target of G1-S phase-specific transcription factor complex DSC1, is required for mitotic and premeiotic DNA replication. Genetics. 2003;164:881-93 pubmed..These observations suggest that cdt2(+) plays an important role in DNA replication in both the mitotic and the meiotic life cycles of fission yeast. ..
- Dutta C, Rhind N. The role of specific checkpoint-induced S-phase transcripts in resistance to replicative stress. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6944 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the general importance of checkpoint regulation of G1/S transcription in response to replicative stress and elucidate the specific roles of Mik1 and Mrc1 in the checkpoint. ..
- Mondesert O, McGowan C, Russell P. Cig2, a B-type cyclin, promotes the onset of S in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:1527-33 pubmed..These observations also suggest that the gradual increase in the activity of Cdc2-Cdc13 kinase can be sufficient for the correct temporal ordering of S and M phases in deltacig2 cells. ..
- Aves S, Durkacz B, Carr A, Nurse P. Cloning, sequencing and transcriptional control of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe cdc10 'start' gene. EMBO J. 1985;4:457-63 pubmedThe cdc10 'start' gene from the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe has been cloned by rescue of mutant function. It is present as a single copy in the haploid genome...
- Osman F, McCready S. Differential effects of caffeine on DNA damage and replication cell cycle checkpoints in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;260:319-34 pubmed..In contrast, caffeine has no effect on the DNA replication S phase checkpoint in response to inhibition of DNA synthesis by hydroxyurea. ..
- Hirata D, Nakano K, Fukui M, Takenaka H, Miyakawa T, Mabuchi I. Genes that cause aberrant cell morphology by overexpression in fission yeast: a role of a small GTP-binding protein Rho2 in cell morphogenesis. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 2):149-59 pubmed..Analysis of functional overlapping between Rho2 and Rho1 revealed that their functions are distinct from each other, with partial overlapping. ..
- Uzawa S, Li F, Jin Y, McDonald K, Braunfeld M, Agard D, et al. Spindle pole body duplication in fission yeast occurs at the G1/S boundary but maturation is blocked until exit from S by an event downstream of cdc10+. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:5219-30 pubmed..In cdc10 mutant cells, the SPBs seem not only to be duplicated but also to undergo partial maturation, including ..
- Kanai M, Kume K, Miyahara K, Sakai K, Nakamura K, Leonhard K, et al. Fission yeast MO25 protein is localized at SPB and septum and is essential for cell morphogenesis. EMBO J. 2005;24:3012-25 pubmed
- Sawin K, Nurse P. Regulation of cell polarity by microtubules in fission yeast. J Cell Biol. 1998;142:457-71 pubmed..In addition, TBZ induces a shift in ral3-GFP distribution from cell ends to the cell middle, suggesting that a protein complex containing ral3 may be part of the cue that specifies the position of branch formation. ..
- Tanaka K, Okayama H. A pcl-like cyclin activates the Res2p-Cdc10p cell cycle "start" transcriptional factor complex in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:2845-62 pubmed
- Sanchez Diaz A, Gonzalez I, Arellano M, Moreno S. The Cdk inhibitors p25rum1 and p40SIC1 are functional homologues that play similar roles in the regulation of the cell cycle in fission and budding yeast. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 6):843-51 pubmed..All these observations suggest that fission yeast p25rum1 and budding yeast p40SIC1 define a family of Cdk inhibitors that specifically down regulate cyclin B/Cdk1 during the G1 phase of the cell cycle. ..
- Yamano H, Gannon J, Hunt T. The role of proteolysis in cell cycle progression in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. EMBO J. 1996;15:5268-79 pubmed..Appropriately timed expression of this N-terminal fragment of Cdc13 overcame the G1 arrest seen in cdc10 mutant strains, suggesting that proteins required for the initiation of S phase are subject to destruction by the ..
- Rodr guez S nchez L, Rodr guez L pez M, Garc a Z, Tenorio G mez M, Schvartzman J, Krimer D, et al. The fission yeast rDNA-binding protein Reb1 regulates G1 phase under nutritional stress. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:25-34 pubmed publisher..Similarly, reb1? cdc10(ts) cells are unable to arrest in G1 and die at the semi-permissive temperature.
- Zhu Y, Takeda T, Nasmyth K, Jones N. pct1+, which encodes a new DNA-binding partner of p85cdc10, is required for meiosis in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Genes Dev. 1994;8:885-98 pubmed..The cdc10(+)-encoded protein is a component of this complex...
- Ogawa Y, Takahashi T, Masukata H. Association of fission yeast Orp1 and Mcm6 proteins with chromosomal replication origins. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:7228-36 pubmed..The results suggest that the fission yeast ORC specifically interacts with chromosomal replication origins and that Mcm proteins are loaded onto the origins to play a role in initiation of replication. ..
- Tanaka K, Yonekawa T, Kawasaki Y, Kai M, Furuya K, Iwasaki M, et al. Fission yeast Eso1p is required for establishing sister chromatid cohesion during S phase. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:3459-69 pubmed..The C-terminal region acts to establish sister chromatid cohesion, and the N-terminal region presumably catalyzes translesion DNA synthesis when template DNA contains lesions that block regular DNA replication. ..