Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ark1
Description: aurora-B kinase Ark1
Alias: SPCC330.16, aim1, aurora-B kinase Ark1
Species: fission yeast
- Vanoosthuyse V, Prykhozhij S, Hardwick K. Shugoshin 2 regulates localization of the chromosomal passenger proteins in fission yeast mitosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1657-69 pubmed..Taken together, our results demonstrate that Sgo2 is important for chromosome biorientation and that it controls docking of the Passenger proteins on chromosomes in early mitotic cells. ..
- Trautmann S, Rajagopalan S, McCollum D. The S. pombe Cdc14-like phosphatase Clp1p regulates chromosome biorientation and interacts with Aurora kinase. Dev Cell. 2004;7:755-62 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that Clp1p/Flp1p has a role in repairing mono-orientation of sister kinetochores. ..
- Leverson J, Huang H, Forsburg S, Hunter T. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe aurora-related kinase Ark1 interacts with the inner centromere protein Pic1 and mediates chromosome segregation and cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:1132-43 pubmed..We describe the cloning and characterization of the aurora-related kinase gene ark1(+), demonstrating that it is an essential gene required for sister chromatid segregation...
- Bohnert K, Chen J, Clifford D, Vander Kooi C, Gould K. A link between aurora kinase and Clp1/Cdc14 regulation uncovered by the identification of a fission yeast borealin-like protein. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3646-59 pubmed publisher..pombe Aurora B homologue, Ark1, colocalizes with known CPC subunits during mitosis, and shows sequence similarity to human Borealin...
- Huang H, Bailis J, Leverson J, Gómez E, Forsburg S, Hunter T. Suppressors of Bir1p (Survivin) identify roles for the chromosomal passenger protein Pic1p (INCENP) and the replication initiation factor Psf2p in chromosome segregation. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:9000-15 pubmed
- Chen J, Lu L, Ohi M, Creamer K, English C, Partridge J, et al. Cdk1 phosphorylation of the kinetochore protein Nsk1 prevents error-prone chromosome segregation. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:583-93 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish new roles for Cdk1 and the Nsk1-Dlc1 complex in regulating the k-MT interface and chromosome segregation. ..
- Heinrich S, Windecker H, Hustedt N, Hauf S. Mph1 kinetochore localization is crucial and upstream in the hierarchy of spindle assembly checkpoint protein recruitment to kinetochores. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4720-7 pubmed publisher..In bub3? cells, the SAC is functional when only Mph1 and the Aurora kinase Ark1, but no other SAC proteins, are enriched at kinetochores...
- Nakazawa N, Mehrotra R, Ebe M, Yanagida M. Condensin phosphorylated by the Aurora-B-like kinase Ark1 is continuously required until telophase in a mode distinct from Top2. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1795-807 pubmed publisher..then showed that the Cnd2 subunit of condensin (also known as Barren) is the target subunit of Aurora-B-like kinase Ark1 and that Ark1-mediated phosphorylation of Cnd2 occurred throughout mitosis...
- Robellet X, Fauque L, Legros P, Mollereau E, Janczarski S, Parrinello H, et al. A genetic screen for functional partners of condensin in fission yeast. G3 (Bethesda). 2014;4:373-81 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, of the five genes identified in this study, four encode transcription co-factors. Our results therefore provide strong additional evidence for a functional connection between chromosome condensation and transcription. ..
- Kawashima S, Takemoto A, Nurse P, Kapoor T. A chemical biology strategy to analyze rheostat-like protein kinase-dependent regulation. Chem Biol. 2013;20:262-71 pubmed publisher..To develop this approach, we focus on Ark1, the fission yeast member of the conserved Aurora kinase family...
- Sakuno T, Tanaka K, Hauf S, Watanabe Y. Repositioning of aurora B promoted by chiasmata ensures sister chromatid mono-orientation in meiosis I. Dev Cell. 2011;21:534-45 pubmed publisher..Our results elucidate how chiasmata favor biorientation of bivalents over that of univalents at meiosis I...
- Vanoosthuyse V, Hardwick K. A novel protein phosphatase 1-dependent spindle checkpoint silencing mechanism. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1176-81 pubmed publisher..Here we employ fission yeast to show that Aurora (Ark1) kinase activity is directly required to maintain spindle checkpoint arrest, even in the presence of many ..
- Bhutta M, Roy B, Gould G, McInerny C. A complex network of interactions between mitotic kinases, phosphatases and ESCRT proteins regulates septation and membrane trafficking in S. pombe. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e111789 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we observed defective endosomal sorting in mutants of plo1, ark1 and clp1, as has been reported for ESCRT mutants, consistent with a role for these kinases in the control of ESCRT ..
- Reyes C, Serrurier C, Gauthier T, Gachet Y, Tournier S. Aurora B prevents chromosome arm separation defects by promoting telomere dispersion and disjunction. J Cell Biol. 2015;208:713-27 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal an essential role for telomeres in chromosome arm segregation. ..
- Lucena R, Dephoure N, Gygi S, Kellogg D, Tallada V, Daga R, et al. Nucleocytoplasmic transport in the midzone membrane domain controls yeast mitotic spindle disassembly. J Cell Biol. 2015;209:387-402 pubmed publisher..Our findings illustrate how a separate membrane compartment supports spindle disassembly in the closed mitosis of fission yeast. ..
- Matsuhara H, Yamamoto A. Autophagy is required for efficient meiosis progression and proper meiotic chromosome segregation in fission yeast. Genes Cells. 2016;21:65-87 pubmed publisher..Our findings show a hitherto unrecognized relationship of autophagy with the nuclear structure, regulation of cell cycle progression, and chromosome segregation in meiosis. ..