Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: act1
Description: actin Act1
Alias: cps8, actin Act1
Species: fission yeast
- Petersen J, Nielsen O, Egel R, Hagan I. F-actin distribution and function during sexual differentiation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 7):867-76 pubmed..The polarization of F-actin cortical dots to the projection tip was unaffected in the cdc3.124 mutant, but cdc3.124 mutant cells were unable to break down the cell walls between the two cells following agglutination. ..
- Ti S, Pollard T. Purification of actin from fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe and characterization of functional differences from muscle actin. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:5784-92 pubmed publisher..These properties close the gap between the biochemistry and predictions made by mathematical models of endocytosis in S. pombe cells. ..
- Spahr H, Khorosjutina O, Baraznenok V, Linder T, Samuelsen C, Hermand D, et al. Mediator influences Schizosaccharomyces pombe RNA polymerase II-dependent transcription in vitro. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:51301-6 pubmed..Our findings thus demonstrate that the spSrb8/spTrap240/spSrb10/spSrb11 subcomplex governs the ability of Mediator to stimulate or repress basal transcription in vitro. ..
- Wagner A, Luan Q, Liu S, Nolen B. Dip1 defines a class of Arp2/3 complex activators that function without preformed actin filaments. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1990-8 pubmed publisher..This mechanism is distinct from other known activators of Arp2/3 complex. ..
- Christensen J, Hocky G, Homa K, Morganthaler A, Hitchcock Degregori S, Voth G, et al. Competition between Tropomyosin, Fimbrin, and ADF/Cofilin drives their sorting to distinct actin filament networks. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal that competitive and cooperative interactions between actin binding proteins help define their associations with different F-actin networks. ..
- Matsusaka T, Hirata D, Yanagida M, Toda T. A novel protein kinase gene ssp1+ is required for alteration of growth polarity and actin localization in fission yeast. EMBO J. 1995;14:3325-38 pubmed..These results show that the dynamics of actin-based growth polarity during the cell cycle are regulated, at least in part, by a novel set of protein kinases and phosphatases. ..
- Buchanan L, Durand Dubief M, Roguev A, Sakalar C, Wilhelm B, Strålfors A, et al. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe JmjC-protein, Msc1, prevents H2A.Z localization in centromeric and subtelomeric chromatin domains. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000726 pubmed publisher..Z from chromatin. These data describe H2A.Z action in S. pombe and identify a new mode of chromatin surveillance and maintenance based on negative regulation of histone variant misincorporation. ..
- Gachet Y, Hyams J. Endocytosis in fission yeast is spatially associated with the actin cytoskeleton during polarised cell growth and cytokinesis. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:4231-42 pubmed..Differential effects on endocytosis at the cell poles and equator were also observed in the actin mutant cps8 and the Arp2/3 complex mutant arp2...
- Itadani A, Nakamura T, Shimoda C. Localization of type I myosin and F-actin to the leading edge region of the forespore membrane in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Cell Struct Funct. 2006;31:181-95 pubmed..In addition, both F-actin and Myo1 localized with Cam2 in the leading edge region. In summary, type I myosin and F-actin accumulate at the leading edge area of the forespore membrane and may play a pivotal role in its assembly. ..
- Li Y, Christensen J, Homa K, Hocky G, Fok A, Sees J, et al. The F-actin bundler ?-actinin Ain1 is tailored for ring assembly and constriction during cytokinesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1821-33 pubmed publisher..Together our results demonstrate that dynamic bundling by SpAin1 is important for proper contractile ring formation and constriction. ..
- Nakano K, Satoh K, Morimatsu A, Ohnuma M, Mabuchi I. Interactions among a fimbrin, a capping protein, and an actin-depolymerizing factor in organization of the fission yeast actin cytoskeleton. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:3515-26 pubmed..Finally, genetic studies suggested that Fim1 may function in cytokinesis in cooperation with Cdc15 (PSTPIP) and Rng2 (IQGAP), respectively. ..
- Ishiguro J, Kobayashi W. An actin point-mutation neighboring the 'hydrophobic plug' causes defects in the maintenance of cell polarity and septum organization in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. FEBS Lett. 1996;392:237-41 pubmedThe fission yeast cps8 mutation gives rise to abnormally enlarged and dispolarized cells, each of which contains several nuclei with aberrant multisepta...
- Hogan C, Aligianni S, Durand Dubief M, Persson J, Will W, Webster J, et al. Fission yeast Iec1-ino80-mediated nucleosome eviction regulates nucleotide and phosphate metabolism. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:657-74 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the Iec1-Ino80 complex promotes transcription through nucleosome eviction. ..
- Ishiguro J, Yamada N. A novel mutation involved in the mitotic checkpoint in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Jpn J Genet. 1993;68:265-76 pubmedThe cps8 mutation which confers supersensitivity to a spindle poison, Isopropyl N-3-chlorophenyl carbamate (CIPC), in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe was investigated...
- Nakano K, Bunai F, Numata O. Stg 1 is a novel SM22/transgelin-like actin-modulating protein in fission yeast. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:6311-6 pubmed
- Sharifmoghadam M, Curto M, Hoya M, de Leon N, Martín García R, Doncel C, et al. The integrity of the cytokinesis machinery under stress conditions requires the glucan synthase Bgs1p and its regulator Cfh3p. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42726 pubmed publisher..The results show that the contractile actomyosin ring is very sensitive to stress, and that cells have efficient mechanisms to remedy the damage produced in this structure. ..
- Kovar D, Wu J, Pollard T. Profilin-mediated competition between capping protein and formin Cdc12p during cytokinesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:2313-24 pubmed..Given that capping protein arrives at the division site 20 min later than Cdc12p, capping protein may slowly replace Cdc12p on filament barbed ends in preparation for filament disassembly during ring constriction. ..
- Hou H, Wang Y, Kallgren S, Thompson J, Yates J, Jia S. Histone variant H2A.Z regulates centromere silencing and chromosome segregation in fission yeast. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:1909-18 pubmed publisher..Z loss. These results demonstrate the importance of H2A.Z and CENP-C in maintaining a silenced chromatin state at centromeres. ..
- Liu S, May J, Helgeson L, Nolen B. Insertions within the actin core of actin-related protein 3 (Arp3) modulate branching nucleation by Arp2/3 complex. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:487-97 pubmed publisher..Biochemical characterization of each mutant revealed steps in the nucleation pathway influenced by each Arp3-specific insert to provide new insights into the structural basis of activation of the complex. ..
- Bohnert K, Grzegorzewska A, Willet A, Vander Kooi C, Kovar D, Gould K. SIN-dependent phosphoinhibition of formin multimerization controls fission yeast cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 2013;27:2164-77 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings identify a SIN-triggered oligomeric switch that modulates cytokinetic formin function, revealing a novel mechanism of actin cytoskeleton regulation during cell division. ..
- Suarez C, Carroll R, Burke T, Christensen J, Bestul A, Sees J, et al. Profilin regulates F-actin network homeostasis by favoring formin over Arp2/3 complex. Dev Cell. 2015;32:43-53 pubmed publisher..Profilin is therefore required for formin to compete effectively with excess Arp2/3 complex for limited G-actin and to assemble F-actin for contractile ring formation in dividing cells. ..
- Coy S, Volanakis A, Shah S, Vasiljeva L. The Sm complex is required for the processing of non-coding RNAs by the exosome. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65606 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data provide important mechanistic insight into the regulation of exosome dependent RNA processing as well as telomerase RNA biogenesis...
- Yamamoto T, Kobayashi Ooka Y, Zhou G, Kawamukai M. Identification and characterization of Csh3 as an SH3 protein that interacts with fission yeast Cap1. FEMS Yeast Res. 2015;15: pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Cap1 in Schizo. pombe is a multifunctional protein that functions through interaction with Cap1 itself and other proteins including adenylyl cyclase, actin and Csh3. ..
- McCollum D, Balasubramanian M, Gould K. Identification of cold-sensitive mutations in the Schizosaccharomyces pombe actin locus. FEBS Lett. 1999;451:321-6 pubmed..These mutants differ in their phenotypes. One of these mutations (act1-48) was identified as an extragenic suppressor of a mutation in the cdc4 gene, which is required for actin ring ..
- Ishijima S, Konomi M, Takagi T, Sato M, Ishiguro J, Osumi M. Ultrastructure of cell wall of the cps8 actin mutant cell in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1999;180:31-7 pubmedA Schizosaccharomyces pombe cps8 mutant, of which the gene encodes a mutant actin with an amino acid substitution of Asp for Gly(273) [J. Ishiguro and W. Kobayashi (1996) FEBS Lett...
- Bestul A, Christensen J, Grzegorzewska A, Burke T, Sees J, Carroll R, et al. Fission yeast profilin is tailored to facilitate actin assembly by the cytokinesis formin Cdc12. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:283-93 pubmed publisher..Therefore an essential role of profilin is to specifically facilitate formin-mediated actin assembly for cytokinesis in fission yeast. ..
- Osumi M, Sato M, Ishijima S, Konomi M, Takagi T, Yaguchi H. Dynamics of cell wall formation in fission yeast, Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Fungal Genet Biol. 1998;24:178-206 pubmed..relationship between actin cytoskeleton and cell wall formation was found by using wild type and actin point-mutant cps8 of S. pombe...
- Motegi F, Nakano K, Kitayama C, Yamamoto M, Mabuchi I. Identification of Myo3, a second type-II myosin heavy chain in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. FEBS Lett. 1997;420:161-6 pubmed..Moreover, the function of Myo2 can be replaced by overexpressed Myo3. We observed a modest synthetic interaction between Myo2 and Myo3. Thus, Myo2 and Myo3 seem to cooperate in the formation of the F-actin ring in S. pombe. ..
- Cranz Mileva S, Pamula M, Barua B, Desai B, Hong Y, Russell J, et al. A molecular evolution approach to study the roles of tropomyosin in fission yeast. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e76726 pubmed publisher..We propose that bioinformatics is a valid analysis tool for defining structure-function relationships in conserved proteins in this model organism...
- Brooker H, Geeves M, Mulvihill D. Analysis of biophysical and functional consequences of tropomyosin-fluorescent protein fusions. FEBS Lett. 2016;590:3111-21 pubmed publisher..Thus, conclusions and physiological relevance should be carefully evaluated when using tropomyosin fusions. ..