Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: yafQ
Description: mRNA interferase toxin of toxin-antitoxin pair YafQ/DinJ
Alias: ECK0226, JW0215
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Inouye M. The discovery of mRNA interferases: implication in bacterial physiology and application to biotechnology. J Cell Physiol. 2006;209:670-6 pubmed..The discovery of a novel way to interfere with mRNA function by mRNA interferases opens a wide variety of avenues in basic as well as applied and clinical sciences. ..
- Buts L, Lah J, Dao Thi M, Wyns L, Loris R. Toxin-antitoxin modules as bacterial metabolic stress managers. Trends Biochem Sci. 2005;30:672-9 pubmed..Under silent conditions the antidote inhibits the toxin and the toxin-antidote complex acts as a repressor for the TA operon, whereas under conditions of activation proteolytic degradation of the antidote outpaces its synthesis. ..
- Harrison J, Wade W, Akierman S, Vacchi Suzzi C, Stremick C, Turner R, et al. The chromosomal toxin gene yafQ is a determinant of multidrug tolerance for Escherichia coli growing in a biofilm. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:2253-8 pubmed publisher..coli populations. In the present study, we focused on the dinJ-yafQ-encoded toxin-antitoxin system and hypothesized that deletion of the toxin gene yafQ might influence cell survival ..
- Kolodkin Gal I, Verdiger R, Shlosberg Fedida A, Engelberg Kulka H. A differential effect of E. coli toxin-antitoxin systems on cell death in liquid media and biofilm formation. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6785 pubmed publisher..At the other extreme, as our results have revealed here, the TA system dinJ-YafQ is unique in that it is involved only in the death process during biofilm formation...
- Armalyte J, Jurenaite M, Beinoraviciute G, Teiserskas J, Suziedeliene E. Characterization of Escherichia coli dinJ-yafQ toxin-antitoxin system using insights from mutagenesis data. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:1523-32 pubmed publisherEscherichia coli dinJ-yafQ operon codes for a functional toxin-antitoxin (TA) system. YafQ toxin is an RNase which, upon overproduction, specifically inhibits the translation process by cleaving cellular mRNA at specific sequences...
- Gerdes K. Toxin-antitoxin modules may regulate synthesis of macromolecules during nutritional stress. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:561-72 pubmed
- Szekeres S, Dauti M, Wilde C, Mazel D, Rowe Magnus D. Chromosomal toxin-antitoxin loci can diminish large-scale genome reductions in the absence of selection. Mol Microbiol. 2007;63:1588-605 pubmed..Thus, chromosomal TA loci can stabilize massive SI arrays and limit the extensive gene loss that is a hallmark of reductive evolution...
- Condon C. Shutdown decay of mRNA. Mol Microbiol. 2006;61:573-83 pubmed..In this review, I discuss the recent developments in the rapidly expanding field of what I refer to as bacterial shutdown decay. ..