Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: xylE
Description: D-xylose transporter
Alias: ECK4023, JW3991
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Wisedchaisri G, Park M, Iadanza M, Zheng H, Gonen T. Proton-coupled sugar transport in the prototypical major facilitator superfamily protein XylE. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4521 pubmed publisher..The proton-coupled sugar transporter XylE is the first member of the MFS that has been structurally characterized in multiple transporting conformations, ..
- Jojima T, Omumasaba C, Inui M, Yukawa H. Sugar transporters in efficient utilization of mixed sugar substrates: current knowledge and outlook. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2010;85:471-80 pubmed publisher..Subsequently, we review and discuss recent studies on engineering of sugar transport as a driving force for efficient bioconversion of sugar mixtures derived from lignocellulose. ..
- Patrick W, Quandt E, Swartzlander D, Matsumura I. Multicopy suppression underpins metabolic evolvability. Mol Biol Evol. 2007;24:2716-22 pubmed..This genome-wide survey demonstrates that multifunctional genes are common and illustrates the mechanistic diversity by which their products enhance metabolic robustness and evolvability. ..
- Saidijam M, Bettaney K, Szakonyi G, Psakis G, Shibayama K, Suzuki S, et al. Active membrane transport and receptor proteins from bacteria. Biochem Soc Trans. 2005;33:867-72 pubmed
- Davis E, Jones Mortimer M, Henderson P. Location of a structural gene for xylose-H+ symport at 91 min on the linkage map of Escherichia coli K12. J Biol Chem. 1984;259:1520-5 pubmed..The site of prophage insertion was mapped to 91.4 min on the E. coli genome between pgi and malB. It is proposed that the gene for the xylose-H+ symport system be called xylE.
- Francoz E, Dassa E. 3' end of the malEFG operon in E.coli: localization of the transcription termination site. Nucleic Acids Res. 1988;16:4097-109 pubmed..Consequently malG is the last gene of the malEFG operon. orf2 corresponds exactly to the 5' part of the xylE gene reported independently (Davis & Henderson, 1987) as the gene coding for the XylE protein, the xylose-..
- Bazzone A, Madej M, Kaback H, Fendler K. pH Regulation of Electrogenic Sugar/H+ Symport in MFS Sugar Permeases. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0156392 pubmed publisher..electrophysiological study of the lactose permease (LacY), the fucose permease (FucP) and the xylose permease (XylE), which reveals common mechanistic principles and differences...
- Griffith J, Baker M, Rouch D, Page M, Skurray R, Paulsen I, et al. Membrane transport proteins: implications of sequence comparisons. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1992;4:684-95 pubmed..Their sequence similarities imply a common mechanism of action. This hypothesis provides an objective basis for examining their mechanisms of action and relationships to other transporters. ..
- VÃ¤stermark Ã, Driker A, Li J, Saier M. Conserved movement of TMS11 between occluded conformations of LacY and XylE of the major facilitator superfamily suggests a similar hinge-like mechanism. Proteins. 2015;83:735-45 pubmed publisher..Transmembrane segments (TMSs) 11 in both LacY and XylE of the major facilitator superfamily uniquely contribute the greatest amount of mobile surface area in the outward-..
- Davis E, Henderson P. The cloning and DNA sequence of the gene xylE for xylose-proton symport in Escherichia coli K12. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:13928-32 pubmedThe gene xylE, coding for xylose-proton symport in Escherichia coli, was cloned and its DNA sequence determined. The cloning strategy utilized lambda placMu insertions and exploited the proximity of xylE to malB. A 2...