Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: waaR
Description: lipopolysaccharide 1,2-glucosyltransferase; UDP-glucose:(glucosyl)LPS alpha-1,2-glucosyltransferase
Alias: ECK3616, JW3601, rfaJ, rfaN, waaJ
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Reeves P, Hobbs M, Valvano M, Skurnik M, Whitfield C, Coplin D, et al. Bacterial polysaccharide synthesis and gene nomenclature. Trends Microbiol. 1996;4:495-503 pubmed..We propose a scheme applicable to all species that distinguishes different classes of genes, provides a single name for all genes of a given function and greatly facilitates comparative studies. ..
- Roncero C, Casadaban M. Genetic analysis of the genes involved in synthesis of the lipopolysaccharide core in Escherichia coli K-12: three operons in the rfa locus. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:3250-60 pubmed..The genetic organization of this locus seems to be identical in E. coli K-12 and S. typhimurium. ..
- Creeger E, Schulte T, Rothfield L. Regulation of membrane glycosyltransferases by the sfrB and rfaH genes of Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium. J Biol Chem. 1984;259:3064-9 pubmed..typhimurium galactosyltransferase. Taken together, the results indicate that the sfrB(rfaH) gene acts as a positive regulatory element in expression of multiple glycosyltransferases in E. coli and S. typhimurium. ..
- Austin E, Graves J, Hite L, Parker C, Schnaitman C. Genetic analysis of lipopolysaccharide core biosynthesis by Escherichia coli K-12: insertion mutagenesis of the rfa locus. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:5312-25 pubmed..We speculate that the product of this gene is involved in the attachment of phosphate or phosphorylethanolamine to the core and that it is the lack of one of these substituents which results in the deep rough phenotype. ..
- Heinrichs D, Yethon J, Whitfield C. Molecular basis for structural diversity in the core regions of the lipopolysaccharides of Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica. Mol Microbiol. 1998;30:221-32 pubmed
- Pradel E, Schnaitman C. Effect of rfaH (sfrB) and temperature on expression of rfa genes of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:6428-31 pubmed..In addition, expression of the lacZ fusion to rfaJ was reduced by growth at 42 degrees C, and this correlated with a temperature-induced change in the electrophoretic ..
- Klena J, Pradel E, Schnaitman C. Comparison of lipopolysaccharide biosynthesis genes rfaK, rfaL, rfaY, and rfaZ of Escherichia coli K-12 and Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:4746-52 pubmedAnalysis of the sequence of a 4.3-kb region downstream of rfaJ revealed four genes...
- Leipold M, Kaniuk N, Whitfield C. The C-terminal Domain of the Escherichia coli WaaJ glycosyltransferase is important for catalytic activity and membrane association. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:1257-64 pubmedThe waaJ gene encodes an alpha-1,2-glucosyltransferase involved in the synthesis of the outer core region of the lipopolysaccha-ride of some Escherichia coli and Salmonella isolates...
- Klein G, Lindner B, Brade H, Raina S. Molecular basis of lipopolysaccharide heterogeneity in Escherichia coli: envelope stress-responsive regulators control the incorporation of glycoforms with a third 3-deoxy-?-D-manno-oct-2-ulosonic acid and rhamnose. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:42787-807 pubmed publisher..This truncation in ?rseA was ascribed to decreased levels of WaaR glycosyltransferase, which was restored to wild-type levels, including overall LPS composition, upon the ..
- Huang H, Liu X, Lv S, Zhong W, Zhang F, Linhardt R. Recombinant Escherichia coli K5 strain with the deletion of waaR gene decreases the molecular weight of the heparosan capsular polysaccharide. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016;100:7877-85 pubmed publisher..In the heparosan biosynthesis pathway, the gene waaR encoding ?-1-, 2- glycosyltransferase catalyze s the third glucosyl residues linking to the oligosaccharide chain...