Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: waaQ
Description: lipopolysaccharide core biosynthesis protein
Alias: ECK3622, JW3607, rfaQ
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Reeves P, Hobbs M, Valvano M, Skurnik M, Whitfield C, Coplin D, et al. Bacterial polysaccharide synthesis and gene nomenclature. Trends Microbiol. 1996;4:495-503 pubmed..We propose a scheme applicable to all species that distinguishes different classes of genes, provides a single name for all genes of a given function and greatly facilitates comparative studies. ..
- Mudapaka J, Taylor E. Cloning and characterization of the Escherichia coli Heptosyltransferase III: Exploring substrate specificity in lipopolysaccharide core biosynthesis. FEBS Lett. 2015;589:1423-9 pubmed publisher..Inspired by results from our lab on the E. coli HepI, we assessed the catalytic efficiency with phospho-Hep2-Kdo2-Lipid A (PH2K2LA) and two deacylated analogues. ..
- Shapira R, Mimran E. Isolation and characterization of Escherichia coli mutants exhibiting altered response to thymol. Microb Drug Resist. 2007;13:157-65 pubmed..Of four mutants showing more sensitivity, three were found in rfaQ, whose product is involved in lipopolysaccharide biosynthesis, and the fourth in the quorum-sensing gene qseC...
- Møller A, Leatham M, Conway T, Nuijten P, de Haan L, Krogfelt K, et al. An Escherichia coli MG1655 lipopolysaccharide deep-rough core mutant grows and survives in mouse cecal mucus but fails to colonize the mouse large intestine. Infect Immun. 2003;71:2142-52 pubmed..Sequencing revealed that the insertion in MD42 was in the waaQ gene, which is involved in lipopolysaccharide (LPS) core biosynthesis. Like "deep-rough" E...
- Heinrichs D, Yethon J, Whitfield C. Molecular basis for structural diversity in the core regions of the lipopolysaccharides of Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica. Mol Microbiol. 1998;30:221-32 pubmed
- Yethon J, Heinrichs D, Monteiro M, Perry M, Whitfield C. Involvement of waaY, waaQ, and waaP in the modification of Escherichia coli lipopolysaccharide and their role in the formation of a stable outer membrane. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:26310-6 pubmedThe waaY, waaQ, and waaP genes are located in the central operon of the waa (formerly rfa) locus on the chromosome of Escherichia coli...
- Pradel E, Schnaitman C. Effect of rfaH (sfrB) and temperature on expression of rfa genes of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:6428-31 pubmed..core, the transposon TnlacZ was used to generate in-frame lacZ fusions to the coding regions of five genes (rfaQ, -G, -P, -B and -J) within this block...
- Pradel E, Parker C, Schnaitman C. Structures of the rfaB, rfaI, rfaJ, and rfaS genes of Escherichia coli K-12 and their roles in assembly of the lipopolysaccharide core. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:4736-45 pubmed
- Roncero C, Casadaban M. Genetic analysis of the genes involved in synthesis of the lipopolysaccharide core in Escherichia coli K-12: three operons in the rfa locus. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:3250-60 pubmed..The genetic organization of this locus seems to be identical in E. coli K-12 and S. typhimurium. ..
- Klena J, Ashford R, Schnaitman C. Role of Escherichia coli K-12 rfa genes and the rfp gene of Shigella dysenteriae 1 in generation of lipopolysaccharide core heterogeneity and attachment of O antigen. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:7297-307 pubmed..The products of rfaK and rfaQ also appear to be involved in modification of the core prior to attachment of O antigen, and the sites of rfaK ..
- Lundborg M, Modhukur V, Widmalm G. Glycosyltransferase functions of E. coli O-antigens. Glycobiology. 2010;20:366-8 pubmed publisher..The procedure suggests a novel way of combining genetic information with experimental techniques in structural analysis of oligo- and polysaccharides. ..