Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: waaP
Description: kinase that phosphorylates core heptose of lipopolysaccharide
Alias: ECK3620, JW3605, rfaP
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Yethon J, Heinrichs D, Monteiro M, Perry M, Whitfield C. Involvement of waaY, waaQ, and waaP in the modification of Escherichia coli lipopolysaccharide and their role in the formation of a stable outer membrane. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:26310-6 pubmedThe waaY, waaQ, and waaP genes are located in the central operon of the waa (formerly rfa) locus on the chromosome of Escherichia coli...
- Heinrichs D, Yethon J, Whitfield C. Molecular basis for structural diversity in the core regions of the lipopolysaccharides of Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica. Mol Microbiol. 1998;30:221-32 pubmed
- Genevaux P, Bauda P, DuBow M, Oudega B. Identification of Tn10 insertions in the rfaG, rfaP, and galU genes involved in lipopolysaccharide core biosynthesis that affect Escherichia coli adhesion. Arch Microbiol. 1999;172:1-8 pubmed..Two insertions were located in the rfaG gene, two in the rfaP gene, and three in the galU gene...
- Rotman E, Bratcher P, Kuzminov A. Reduced lipopolysaccharide phosphorylation in Escherichia coli lowers the elevated ori/ter ratio in seqA mutants. Mol Microbiol. 2009;72:1273-92 pubmed publisher..We also found that colethality of rfaP with defects in the production of acidic phospholipids is suppressed by alternative initiation of chromosomal ..
- Klena J, Pradel E, Schnaitman C. Comparison of lipopolysaccharide biosynthesis genes rfaK, rfaL, rfaY, and rfaZ of Escherichia coli K-12 and Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:4746-52 pubmed..We speculate that protein RfaL may interact in a strain- or species-specific way with one or more Rfb proteins in the expression of surface O antigen. ..
- Pradel E, Schnaitman C. Effect of rfaH (sfrB) and temperature on expression of rfa genes of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:6428-31 pubmed..In addition, expression of the lacZ fusion to rfaJ was reduced by growth at 42 degrees C, and this correlated with a temperature-induced change in the electrophoretic profile of the core lipopolysaccharide. ..
- Beher M, Schnaitman C. Regulation of the OmpA outer membrane protein of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1981;147:972-85 pubmed..resistance to phages K3 and U3, we obtained mutants defective in rfaC (biosynthesis of core heptose) and in rfaP (phosphorylation of core heptose), and both of these mutant strains failed to express OmpA protein in the outer ..