Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: waaL
Description: O-antigen ligase
Alias: ECK3612, JW3597, rfaL
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Sirisena D, MacLachlan P, Liu S, Hessel A, Sanderson K. Molecular analysis of the rfaD gene, for heptose synthesis, and the rfaF gene, for heptose transfer, in lipopolysaccharide synthesis in Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:2379-85 pubmed..coli K-12 is about 35%, much lower than the average of enteric bacteria; if this low G+C content is due to lateral transfer from a source of low G+C content, it must have occurred prior to evolutionary divergence of the two genera. ..
- Heinrichs D, Monteiro M, Perry M, Whitfield C. The assembly system for the lipopolysaccharide R2 core-type of Escherichia coli is a hybrid of those found in Escherichia coli K-12 and Salmonella enterica. Structure and function of the R2 WaaK and WaaL homologs. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:8849-59 pubmed..coli K-12. However, the products of waaK (rfaK) and waaL (rfaL) each resemble homologs in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium but share little similarity with E. coli K-12...
- Kenyon J, Hall R. Variation in the complex carbohydrate biosynthesis loci of Acinetobacter baumannii genomes. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62160 pubmed publisher..The absence of a gene encoding a WaaL ligase, required to link the carbohydrate polymer to the lipid A-core oligosaccharide (lipooligosaccharide) forming ..
- Grabowicz M, Andres D, Lebar M, MalojÄiÄ‡ G, Kahne D, Silhavy T. A mutant Escherichia coli that attaches peptidoglycan to lipopolysaccharide and displays cell wall on its surface. elife. 2014;3:e05334 pubmed publisher..We have identified a point-mutation in the gene for O-antigen ligase (WaaL) in Escherichia coli that causes LPS to be modified with PG subunits, intersecting these two pathways...
- Klena J, Ashford R, Schnaitman C. Role of Escherichia coli K-12 rfa genes and the rfp gene of Shigella dysenteriae 1 in generation of lipopolysaccharide core heterogeneity and attachment of O antigen. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:7297-307 pubmed..Mutation of rfaL results in a loss of the rough LPS band which appears to be modified by Rfp and prevents the appearance of the Rfp-..
- Klena J, Pradel E, Schnaitman C. Comparison of lipopolysaccharide biosynthesis genes rfaK, rfaL, rfaY, and rfaZ of Escherichia coli K-12 and Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:4746-52 pubmed..Genes 3 and 4 were identified as rfaK and rfaL on the basis of size and position, but the derived amino acid sequences of the products of these genes showed very ..
- Heinrichs D, Yethon J, Whitfield C. Molecular basis for structural diversity in the core regions of the lipopolysaccharides of Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica. Mol Microbiol. 1998;30:221-32 pubmed