Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: waaG
Description: UDP-glucose:(heptosyl)lipopolysaccharide alpha-1,3-glucosyltransferase; lipopolysaccharide core biosynthesis protein; lipopolysaccharide glucosyltransferase I
Alias: ECK3621, JW3606, rfaG
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Pilipcinec E, Huisman T, Willemsen P, Appelmelk B, de Graaf F, Oudega B. Identification by Tn10 transposon mutagenesis of host factors involved in the biosynthesis of K99 fimbriae of Escherichia coli: effect of LPS core mutations. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1994;123:201-6 pubmed..Preliminary experiments indicated that K99 major subunits, in contrast to K88 subunits, strongly bind LPS molecules. ..
- Schnaitman C, Parker C, Klena J, Pradel E, Pearson N, Sanderson K, et al. Physical maps of the rfa loci of Escherichia coli K-12 and Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:7410-1 pubmed
- Parker C, Pradel E, Schnaitman C. Identification and sequences of the lipopolysaccharide core biosynthetic genes rfaQ, rfaP, and rfaG of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:930-4 pubmed..coli rfa restriction fragments indicated that the second and third genes in the block were rfaG and rfaP...
- Creeger E, Rothfield L. Cloning genes for bacterial glycosyltransferases. Methods Enzymol. 1982;83:326-31 pubmed
- Creeger E, Schulte T, Rothfield L. Regulation of membrane glycosyltransferases by the sfrB and rfaH genes of Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium. J Biol Chem. 1984;259:3064-9 pubmed..typhimurium galactosyltransferase. Taken together, the results indicate that the sfrB(rfaH) gene acts as a positive regulatory element in expression of multiple glycosyltransferases in E. coli and S. typhimurium. ..
- Pradel E, Schnaitman C. Effect of rfaH (sfrB) and temperature on expression of rfa genes of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:6428-31 pubmed..In addition, expression of the lacZ fusion to rfaJ was reduced by growth at 42 degrees C, and this correlated with a temperature-induced change in the electrophoretic profile of the core lipopolysaccharide. ..
- Klena J, Pradel E, Schnaitman C. Comparison of lipopolysaccharide biosynthesis genes rfaK, rfaL, rfaY, and rfaZ of Escherichia coli K-12 and Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:4746-52 pubmed..We speculate that protein RfaL may interact in a strain- or species-specific way with one or more Rfb proteins in the expression of surface O antigen. ..
- Genevaux P, Bauda P, DuBow M, Oudega B. Identification of Tn10 insertions in the rfaG, rfaP, and galU genes involved in lipopolysaccharide core biosynthesis that affect Escherichia coli adhesion. Arch Microbiol. 1999;172:1-8 pubmed..Two insertions were located in the rfaG gene, two in the rfaP gene, and three in the galU gene...
- Martinez Fleites C, Proctor M, Roberts S, Bolam D, Gilbert H, Davies G. Insights into the synthesis of lipopolysaccharide and antibiotics through the structures of two retaining glycosyltransferases from family GT4. Chem Biol. 2006;13:1143-52 pubmed..One of the largest families is GT4, which contains several enzymes of therapeutic significance, exemplified by WaaG and AviGT4...
- Klena J, Ashford R, Schnaitman C. Role of Escherichia coli K-12 rfa genes and the rfp gene of Shigella dysenteriae 1 in generation of lipopolysaccharide core heterogeneity and attachment of O antigen. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:7297-307 pubmed..the nucleotide sequence that the rfp gene encodes a protein of 41,864 Da which has a structure similar to that of RfaG protein. Expression of this gene in E...
- Roncero C, Casadaban M. Genetic analysis of the genes involved in synthesis of the lipopolysaccharide core in Escherichia coli K-12: three operons in the rfa locus. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:3250-60 pubmed..The genetic organization of this locus seems to be identical in E. coli K-12 and S. typhimurium. ..
- Agladze K, Wang X, Romeo T. Spatial periodicity of Escherichia coli K-12 biofilm microstructure initiates during a reversible, polar attachment phase of development and requires the polysaccharide adhesin PGA. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:8237-46 pubmed..In contrast, biofilm mutants with altered lipopolysaccharide synthesis (waaG) exhibited increased cell-cell interactions, bypassed the polar attachment step, and produced FFT spectra ..
- McBroom A, Johnson A, Vemulapalli S, Kuehn M. Outer membrane vesicle production by Escherichia coli is independent of membrane instability. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:5385-92 pubmed..Detergent sensitivity, leakiness, and growth characteristics of the novel vesiculation mutant strains did not correlate with vesiculation levels, demonstrating that vesicle production is not predictive of envelope instability. ..