Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: waaA
Description: 3-deoxy-D-manno-octulosonic-acid transferase (KDO transferase)
Alias: ECK3623, JW3608, kdtA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Belunis C, Clementz T, Carty S, Raetz C. Inhibition of lipopolysaccharide biosynthesis and cell growth following inactivation of the kdtA gene in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:27646-52 pubmedThe enzyme 3-deoxy-D-manno-octulosonic acid (Kdo) transferase is encoded by the kdtA gene in Escherichia coli...
- Gronow S, Brabetz W, Brade H. Comparative functional characterization in vitro of heptosyltransferase I (WaaC) and II (WaaF) from Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 2000;267:6602-11 pubmed..transfer of 3-deoxy-Dmanno-oct-2-ulosonic acid (Kdo) and heptose by successive action of Kdo transferase (WaaA), heptosyltransferase I (WaaC) and heptosyltransferase II (WaaF)...
- Katz C, Ron E. Dual role of FtsH in regulating lipopolysaccharide biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:7117-22 pubmed publisher..Thus, FtsH regulates the concentration of the lipid moiety of LPS (lipid A) as well as the sugar moiety (KDO-based core oligosaccharides), ensuring a balanced synthesis of LPS. ..
- Emiola A, Andrews S, Heller C, George J. Crosstalk between the lipopolysaccharide and phospholipid pathways during outer membrane biogenesis in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:3108-13 pubmed publisher..5.1.108) and WaaA (EC 220.127.116.11/13) enzymes by the protease FtsH (EC 3.4.24.-)...
- Heinrichs D, Yethon J, Whitfield C. Molecular basis for structural diversity in the core regions of the lipopolysaccharides of Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica. Mol Microbiol. 1998;30:221-32 pubmed