Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: uidA
Alias: ECK1612, JW1609, gurA, gusA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- . This paper has been retracted.Retraction notice is found at http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/37/15/5234. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;: pubmed
- Wilson K, Sessitsch A, Corbo J, Giller K, Akkermans A, Jefferson R. beta-Glucuronidase (GUS) transposons for ecological and genetic studies of rhizobia and other gram-negative bacteria. Microbiology. 1995;141 ( Pt 7):1691-705 pubmedA series of transposons are described which contain the gusA gene, encoding beta-glucuronidase (GUS), expressed from a variety of promoters, both regulated and constitutive...
- Burchett G, Folsom C, Lane K. Native Electrophoresis-Coupled Activity Assays Reveal Catalytically-Active Protein Aggregates of Escherichia coli Î²-Glucuronidase. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0130269 pubmed publisher..These structures may have application in the study of human disease, as several diseases have been associated with the aggregation of proteins. ..
- Kim K, Franceschi V, Davin L, Lewis N. Beta-glucuronidase as reporter gene: advantages and limitations. Methods Mol Biol. 2006;323:263-73 pubmed..coli; the Bacillus GUS genes encode proteins with enhanced properties, such as both increased thermostability and stability in the presence of crosslinking fixatives. ..
- Jefferson R, Burgess S, Hirsh D. beta-Glucuronidase from Escherichia coli as a gene-fusion marker. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986;83:8447-51 pubmedWe have developed a gene-fusion system based on the Escherichia coli beta-glucuronidase gene (uidA). The uidA gene has been cloned from E. coli K-12 and its entire nucleotide sequence has been determined...
- Didier Fichet M, Stoeber F. [On the properties and the biosynthesis of beta-glucuronidase of Escherichia coli K 12]. C R Acad Sci Hebd Seances Acad Sci D. 1968;266:2021-4 pubmed
- Doyle M, Katzman P, Doisy E. Production and properties of bacterial beta-glucuronidase. J Biol Chem. 1955;217:921-30 pubmed
- Wallace B, Wang H, Lane K, Scott J, Orans J, Koo J, et al. Alleviating cancer drug toxicity by inhibiting a bacterial enzyme. Science. 2010;330:831-5 pubmed publisher..Finally, oral administration of an inhibitor protected mice from CPT-11-induced toxicity. Thus, drugs may be designed to inhibit undesirable enzyme activities in essential microbial symbiotes to enhance chemotherapeutic efficacy. ..
- Yoshitomi K, Jinneman K, Weagant S. Optimization of a 3'-minor groove binder-DNA probe targeting the uidA gene for rapid identification of Escherichia coli O157:H7 using real-time PCR. Mol Cell Probes. 2003;17:275-80 pubmed..the development and optimization of a real-time PCR method targeting a conserved point mutation at +93 in the uidA (gusA) gene that is unique to O157:H7, distinguishing it from non-O157:H7 serotypes...
- Schlaman H, Risseeuw E, Franke van Dijk M, Hooykaas P. Nucleotide sequence corrections of the uidA open reading frame encoding beta-glucuronidase. Gene. 1994;138:259-60 pubmedPart of the open reading frame of uidA, encoding beta-glucuronidase, was sequenced and two differences were found with the previously reported nucleotide sequence [Jefferson et al., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 83 (1986) 8447-8451]...
- Adams M, Grubb S, Hamer A, Clifford M. Colorimetric enumeration of Escherichia coli based on beta-glucuronidase activity. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1990;56:2021-4 pubmed..The procedure shows promise as a simple method for testing the compliance of environmental samples with microbiological criteria for E. coli. ..
- Mandrand Berthelot M, Novel G, Novel M. [Gratuitous induction of beta-glucuronidase of Escherichia coli K 12 and the double repression mechanism]. Biochimie. 1977;59:163-70 pubmed
- Pesheck P, Lovrien R. Cosolvent control of substrate inhibition in cosolvent stimulation of beta-glucuronidase activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1977;79:417-21 pubmed
- Geddie M, Matsumura I. Rapid evolution of beta-glucuronidase specificity by saturation mutagenesis of an active site loop. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:26462-8 pubmed..These results underscore the importance of epistatic interactions and demonstrate that they can be optimized through variations of the facile whole plasmid PCR technique. ..
- Novel G, Didier Fichet M, Stoeber F. Inducibility of beta-glucuronidase in wild-type and hexuronate-negative mutants of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1974;120:89-95 pubmed..The specific inducing capacity of each of these three compounds as well as the hypothetical mechanism(s) of the action of fructuronate are discussed. ..
- Blanco C, Nemoz G. One step purification of Escherichia coli beta-glucuronidase. Biochimie. 1987;69:157-61 pubmed..The enzyme was more than 95% pure. This enzyme is a tetramer composed of identical 74 kDa monomers. The amino-terminal sequence determined was: NH2-Met-Leu-Arg-Pro-Val. ..
- Henrissat B. A classification of glycosyl hydrolases based on amino acid sequence similarities. Biochem J. 1991;280 ( Pt 2):309-16 pubmed..With the steady increase in sequence and structural data, it is suggested that the enzyme classification system should perhaps be revised. ..
- Matsumura I, Ellington A. In vitro evolution of beta-glucuronidase into a beta-galactosidase proceeds through non-specific intermediates. J Mol Biol. 2001;305:331-9 pubmed..of these mutations were investigated by introducing them individually or in combination into otherwise wild-type gusA genes...
- Køppen B, Dalgaard L. Assay for beta-glucuronidase utilizing headspace gas chromatography. Anal Biochem. 1984;136:272-5 pubmed..2.1.31.) from Escherichia coli, and has been applied to various sources of beta-glucuronidase. Crude homogenates can be assayed directly with a minimum of manipulative steps and the method is suited for automation. ..
- Novel G, Novel M. [Mutants of E. coli K 12 unable to grow on methyl-beta-D-glucuronide: map l ocation of uid A. locus of the structural gene of beta-D-glucuronidase]. Mol Gen Genet. 1973;120:319-35 pubmed
- Togo C, Wutor V, Limson J, Pletschke B. Novel detection of Escherichia coli beta-D-glucuronidase activity using a microbially-modified glassy carbon electrode and its potential for faecal pollution monitoring. Biotechnol Lett. 2007;29:531-7 pubmed..2 ng and 2 microg ml(-1). The biosensor detected activity of beta-D-glucuronidase from viable but non-culturable (VBNC) cells and can therefore serve as a presence or absence device for rapid water quality monitoring. ..
- Xiong A, Peng R, Cheng Z, Li Y, Liu J, Zhuang J, et al. Concurrent mutations in six amino acids in beta-glucuronidase improve its thermostability. Protein Eng Des Sel. 2007;20:319-25 pubmed..The comparison of molecular models of the mutated and wild-type enzyme revealed the relation of protein function and these structural modifications. ..
- Ohara C, Takahashi R, Miyagawa T, Yoshimura Y, Kato A, Adachi I, et al. Synthesis of all stereoisomers of 3-hydroxypipecolic acid and 3-hydroxy-4,5-dehydropipecolic acid and their evaluation as glycosidase inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2008;18:1810-3 pubmed publisher..Screening of these molecules for glycosidase inhibition has been examined. Compound 3 was shown to be a potent inhibitor of beta-N-acetylglucosaminidase as well as Escherichia coli beta-glucuronidase. ..
- Farrell L, Beachy R. Manipulation of beta-glucuronidase for use as a reporter in vacuolar targeting studies. Plant Mol Biol. 1990;15:821-5 pubmed..The second N-linked glycosylation site was not altered because sequence analysis of nucleotide sequences around the second putative glycosylation site revealed that the published sequence was incorrect, and that no such site existed. ..