Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ugpC
Description: sn-glycerol-3-phosphate ABC transporter ATPase
Alias: ECK3434, JW3415
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Schweizer H, Boos W. Characterization of the ugp region containing the genes for the phoB dependent sn-glycerol-3-phosphate transport system of Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1984;197:161-8 pubmed..organized in two separate operons which comprise at least four genes: ugpB and ugpD constitute one operon, ugpA and ugpC constitute the other. The structural gene for the G3P binding protein (G3PBP) is ugpB...
- Kasahara M, Makino K, Amemura M, Nakata A, Shinagawa H. Dual regulation of the ugp operon by phosphate and carbon starvation at two interspaced promoters. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:549-58 pubmed..These results suggest that the two promoters function alternately in responding to phosphate or carbon starvation, thus providing the cell with a means to adapt to these physiological stresses. ..
- Schweizer H, Boos W. Cloning of the ugp region containing the structural genes for the pho regulon-dependent sn-glycerol-3-phosphate transport system of Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1983;192:177-86 pubmed..Using ugp-lacZ fusions, it could be shown that the ugp region consists of at least two different operons that are transcribed in the same direction (counterclockwise) on the E. coli chromosome. ..
- Brzoska P, Rimmele M, Brzostek K, Boos W. The pho regulon-dependent Ugp uptake system for glycerol-3-phosphate in Escherichia coli is trans inhibited by Pi. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:15-20 pubmed..5 mM. Cells had to be starved for Pi in order to observe this inhibition. We conclude that the activity of the Ugp transport system is controlled by the level of internal phosphate. ..
- Yang K, Wang M, Metcalf W. Uptake of glycerol-2-phosphate via the ugp-encoded transporter in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:4667-70 pubmed publisher..Mutations in the ugpBAECQ operon eliminated this phenotype, suggesting that G2P is a previously unrecognized substrate for the binding protein-dependent Ugp transporter...