Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ugpB
Description: sn-glycerol-3-phosphate ABC transporter periplasmic binding protein
Alias: ECK3437, JW3418, psiB, psiC
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Hekstra D, Tommassen J. Functional exchangeability of the ABC proteins of the periplasmic binding protein-dependent transport systems Ugp and Mal of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:6546-52 pubmed..These are the first examples of functional, hybrid periplasmic permeases in which the energy-coupling components could be functionally exchanged...
- Xavier K, Kossmann M, Santos H, Boos W. Kinetic analysis by in vivo 31P nuclear magnetic resonance of internal Pi during the uptake of sn-glycerol-3-phosphate by the pho regulon-dependent Ugp system and the glp regulon-dependent GlpT system. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:699-704 pubmed..Both systems were inversely controlled by internal Pi. Whereas the Ugp system was inhibited, the GlpT system was stimulated by elevated internal Pi. ..
- Argast M, Ludtke D, Silhavy T, Boos W. A second transport system for sn-glycerol-3-phosphate in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1978;136:1070-83 pubmed..The mutation ugp+, which was responsible for the appearance of the new transport system and the appearance of GP 1, 2, and 3 in the periplasm was cotransducible with araD by phage P1 transduction and was recessive in merodiploids. ..
- Overduin P, Boos W, Tommassen J. Nucleotide sequence of the ugp genes of Escherichia coli K-12: homology to the maltose system. Mol Microbiol. 1988;2:767-75 pubmed..The promoter is followed by four open reading frames, designated ugpB, A, E and C, which encode a periplasmic binding protein, two hydrophobic membrane proteins and a protein that is ..
- Argast M, Boos W. Purification and properties of the sn-glycerol 3-phosphate-binding protein of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1979;254:10931-5 pubmed..Simultaneously, two other proteins appear in the periplasm. These proteins were also purified. They do not bind sn-glycerol 3-phosphate and do not cross-react with antibodies against the pure binding protein. ..
- Mildener B, Fondy T, Engel R, Tropp B. Effects of halo analogs of glycerol 3-phosphate and dihydroxyacetone phosphate upon Escherichia coli. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1981;19:678-81 pubmed..The fluoro and chloro analogs of glycerol 3-phosphate inhibit the growth of Escherichia coli and affect bacterial enzymes involved in lipid synthesis. ..
- Schweizer H, Boos W. Cloning of the ugp region containing the structural genes for the pho regulon-dependent sn-glycerol-3-phosphate transport system of Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1983;192:177-86 pubmed..Using ugp-lacZ fusions, it could be shown that the ugp region consists of at least two different operons that are transcribed in the same direction (counterclockwise) on the E. coli chromosome. ..
- Boos W. Binding protein-dependent ABC transport system for glycerol 3-phosphate of Escherichia coli. Methods Enzymol. 1998;292:40-51 pubmed
- Wick L, Quadroni M, Egli T. Short- and long-term changes in proteome composition and kinetic properties in a culture of Escherichia coli during transition from glucose-excess to glucose-limited growth conditions in continuous culture and vice versa. Environ Microbiol. 2001;3:588-99 pubmed..was achieved by upregulation of 12 proteins, namely MglB, MalE, ArgT, DppA, RbsB, YdcS, LivJ (precursor), UgpB (precursor), AceA, AldA, AtpA and GatY...
- Kasahara M, Makino K, Amemura M, Nakata A, Shinagawa H. Dual regulation of the ugp operon by phosphate and carbon starvation at two interspaced promoters. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:549-58 pubmed..These results suggest that the two promoters function alternately in responding to phosphate or carbon starvation, thus providing the cell with a means to adapt to these physiological stresses. ..
- Brzoska P, Boos W. Characteristics of a ugp-encoded and phoB-dependent glycerophosphoryl diester phosphodiesterase which is physically dependent on the ugp transport system of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:4125-35 pubmed..The product of the ugpQ gene, expressed in minicells, has an apparent molecular weight of 17,500. We present evidence that only one major phoB-dependent promoter controls all ugp genes. ..