Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ugpA
Description: sn-glycerol-3-phosphate ABC transporter permease
Alias: ECK3436, JW3417, psiB, psiC
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Schweizer H, Grussenmeyer T, Boos W. Mapping of two ugp genes coding for the pho regulon-dependent sn-glycerol-3-phosphate transport system of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1982;150:1164-71 pubmedTwo genes, ugpA and ugpB, coding for a binding protein-dependent sn-glycerol-3-phosphate transport system, were mapped at 75.3 min on the Escherichia coli chromosome...
- Brzoska P, Boos W. Characteristics of a ugp-encoded and phoB-dependent glycerophosphoryl diester phosphodiesterase which is physically dependent on the ugp transport system of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:4125-35 pubmed..The product of the ugpQ gene, expressed in minicells, has an apparent molecular weight of 17,500. We present evidence that only one major phoB-dependent promoter controls all ugp genes. ..
- Pritchard R, Ahmad S. Fluorouracil and the isolation of mutants lacking uridine phosphorylase in Escherichia coli: location of the gene. Mol Gen Genet. 1971;111:84-8 pubmed
- Hekstra D, Tommassen J. Functional exchangeability of the ABC proteins of the periplasmic binding protein-dependent transport systems Ugp and Mal of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:6546-52 pubmed..that it was expressed at a sufficiently high level in the absence of the integral inner membrane components UgpA and/or UgpE of the Ugp system...
- Wuttge S, Bommer M, Jäger F, Martins B, Jacob S, Licht A, et al. Determinants of substrate specificity and biochemical properties of the sn-glycerol-3-phosphate ATP binding cassette transporter (UgpB-AEC2 ) of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2012;86:908-20 pubmed publisher..by an ATP binding cassette importer composed of the periplasmic binding protein, UgpB, the transmembrane subunits, UgpA and UgpE, and a homodimer of the nucleotide binding subunit, UgpC...
- Xavier K, Kossmann M, Santos H, Boos W. Kinetic analysis by in vivo 31P nuclear magnetic resonance of internal Pi during the uptake of sn-glycerol-3-phosphate by the pho regulon-dependent Ugp system and the glp regulon-dependent GlpT system. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:699-704 pubmed..Both systems were inversely controlled by internal Pi. Whereas the Ugp system was inhibited, the GlpT system was stimulated by elevated internal Pi. ..
- Overduin P, Boos W, Tommassen J. Nucleotide sequence of the ugp genes of Escherichia coli K-12: homology to the maltose system. Mol Microbiol. 1988;2:767-75 pubmed..The sequences of the proteins contain the characteristics of several other binding protein-dependent transport systems, but they seem to be particularly closely related to the maltose system. ..
- Lemieux M, Huang Y, Wang D. The structural basis of substrate translocation by the Escherichia coli glycerol-3-phosphate transporter: a member of the major facilitator superfamily. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2004;14:405-12 pubmed..The structure and mechanism of the glycerol-3-phosphate transporter form a paradigm for other members of the major facilitator superfamily. ..
- Abramson J, Kaback H, Iwata S. Structural comparison of lactose permease and the glycerol-3-phosphate antiporter: members of the major facilitator superfamily. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2004;14:413-9 pubmed..All three structures reveal 12 transmembrane helices forming two distinct domains, and could imply that members of this superfamily have preserved both secondary and tertiary structure elements during evolution. ..
- Ezaki B, Mori H, Ogura T, Hiraga S. Possible involvement of the ugpA gene product in the stable maintenance of mini-F plasmid in Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1990;223:361-8 pubmed..the seg-3 mutant carried two mutations that additively affected the maintenance of mini-F plasmid; one was in the ugpA gene and the other was presumably in the rpoH gene...