Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tsx
Description: nucleoside channel, receptor of phage T6 and colicin K
Alias: ECK0405, JW0401, T6rec, nupA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Ye J, van den Berg B. Crystal structure of the bacterial nucleoside transporter Tsx. EMBO J. 2004;23:3187-95 pubmedb>Tsx is a nucleoside-specific outer membrane (OM) transporter of Gram-negative bacteria. We present crystal structures of Escherichia coli Tsx in the absence and presence of nucleosides...
- Ranquin A, van Gelder P. Maltoporin: sugar for physics and biology. Res Microbiol. 2004;155:611-6 pubmed..This trimeric bacterial outer membrane channel allows permeation of sugars such as maltodextrins. Its structure is described and functional studies resulting in a mechanistic transport model are critically discussed. ..
- Wu L, Lin X, Peng X. From proteome to genome for functional characterization of pH-dependent outer membrane proteins in Escherichia coli. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:1059-70 pubmed publisher..Among the differentially expressed proteins identified, OstA, TolC, OmpT, OmpP OmpC, Trak, OmpX, Dps, LamB, Tsx, FadL, OmpW, and OmpF were characterized as pH-related OM proteins...
- Zhang D, Jiang B, Xiang Z, Wang S. Functional characterisation of altered outer membrane proteins for tetracycline resistance in Escherichia coli. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2008;32:315-9 pubmed publisher..In this study, upregulation of FimD, Tsx, OmpW, OmpC and TolC and downregulation of LamB in response to tetracycline were detected and confirmed by two-..
- Klammt C, Schwarz D, Fendler K, Haase W, Dötsch V, Bernhard F. Evaluation of detergents for the soluble expression of alpha-helical and beta-barrel-type integral membrane proteins by a preparative scale individual cell-free expression system. FEBS J. 2005;272:6024-38 pubmed..proteins, namely the bacterial alpha-helical multidrug transporter, EmrE, the beta-barrel nucleoside transporter, Tsx, and the porcine vasopressin receptor of the eukaryotic superfamily of G-protein coupled receptors...
- Acimovic Y, Coe I. Molecular evolution of the equilibrative nucleoside transporter family: identification of novel family members in prokaryotes and eukaryotes. Mol Biol Evol. 2002;19:2199-210 pubmed..Finally, we propose an evolutionary history for the ENT family which clarifies the origin(s) of multiple isoforms in different taxa. ..
- Schneider H, Fsihi H, Kottwitz B, Mygind B, Bremer E. Identification of a segment of the Escherichia coli Tsx protein that functions as a bacteriophage receptor area. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:2809-17 pubmedThe Escherichia coli outer membrane protein Tsx functions as a nucleoside-specific channel and serves as the receptor for colicin K and a number of T-even-type bacteriophages, including phage T6...
- Fsihi H, Kottwitz B, Bremer E. Single amino acid substitutions affecting the substrate specificity of the Escherichia coli K-12 nucleoside-specific Tsx channel. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:17495-503 pubmedThe Tsx protein from the Escherichia coli outer membrane is a channel-forming protein containing a nucleoside-specific binding site. The antibiotic albicidin enters the cell via this substrate-specific channel...
- Birch R, Pemberton J, Basnayake W. Stable albicidin resistance in Escherichia coli involves an altered outer-membrane nucleoside uptake system. J Gen Microbiol. 1990;136:51-8 pubmed..coli simultaneously became resistant to phage T6. The locus determining albicidin sensitivity mapped at tsx, the structural gene for an outer-membrane protein used as a receptor by phage T6 and involved in transport through ..