Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tpx
Description: lipid hydroperoxide peroxidase
Alias: ECK1320, JW1317, yzzJ
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Zhou Y, Wan X, Wang H, Yan Z, Hou Y, Jin D. Bacterial scavengase p20 is structurally and functionally related to peroxiredoxins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;233:848-52 pubmed..Taken together, our findings strongly suggest that the p20 scavengases are structurally and functionally related to peroxiredoxins. ..
- Beckham K, Byron O, Roe A, Gabrielsen M. The structure of an orthorhombic crystal form of a 'forced reduced' thiol peroxidase reveals lattice formation aided by the presence of the affinity tag. Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. 2012;68:522-6 pubmed publisherThiol peroxidase (Tpx) is an atypical 2-Cys peroxiredoxin, which has been suggested to be important for cell survival and virulence in Gram-negative pathogens...
- Cha M, Kim W, Lim C, Kim K, Kim I. Escherichia coli periplasmic thiol peroxidase acts as lipid hydroperoxide peroxidase and the principal antioxidative function during anaerobic growth. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:8769-78 pubmed..Taken together, present data uncover in vivo function for p20 as a lipid hydroperoxide peroxidase and demonstrate that, as the result, p20 acts as the principal antioxidant in the anaerobic habitats. ..
- Kim S, Han Y, Kim I, Kim H. Involvement of ArcA and Fnr in expression of Escherichia coli thiol peroxidase gene. IUBMB Life. 1999;48:215-8 pubmedTo explore the oxygen response regulators involved in thiol peroxidase gene (tpx) expression in Escherichia coli, we constructed a single-copy tpx-lacZ operon fusion and monitored tpx-lacZ expression in various genetic backgrounds...
- Baglioni P, Bini L, Liberatori S, Pallini V, Marri L. Proteome analysis of Escherichia coli W3110 expressing an heterologous sigma factor. Proteomics. 2003;3:1060-5 pubmed..Among the proteins identified, thiol peroxidase (Tpx) was the only one up-regulated. The possible involvement of bgl and tpx in the survival of the pathogen E...
- Wood Z, Schröder E, Robin Harris J, Poole L. Structure, mechanism and regulation of peroxiredoxins. Trends Biochem Sci. 2003;28:32-40 pubmed..Using crystal structures, a detailed catalytic cycle has been derived for typical 2-Cys Prxs, including a model for the redox-regulated oligomeric state proposed to control enzyme activity. ..
- Cha M, Kim H, Kim I. Thioredoxin-linked "thiol peroxidase" from periplasmic space of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:28635-41 pubmed..This 20-kDa protein is thus named "thiol peroxidase," which could act as an antioxidant enzyme removing peroxides or H2O2 within the catalase- and peroxidase-deficient periplasmic space of E. coli...
- Kim H, Kim S, Lee J, Cha M, Kim I. Identification of promoter in the 5'-flanking region of the E. coli thioredoxin-linked thiol peroxidase gene: evidence for the existence of oxygen-related transcriptional regulatory protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;221:641-6 pubmedE. coli thiol peroxidase (Tpx) linked to the thioredoxin as an in vivo thiol regenerating system acts as an antioxidant enzyme removing peroxides and H2O2. In order to elucidate the mechanism regulating tpx gene expression in E...