Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tap
Description: methyl-accepting protein IV
Alias: ECK1886, JW1874
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Li G, Weis R. Covalent modification regulates ligand binding to receptor complexes in the chemosensory system of Escherichia coli. Cell. 2000;100:357-65 pubmed..Also, the finding that a subsaturating serine concentration accelerates active receptor-kinase complex assembly implies that the assembly/disassembly process may also contribute to kinase regulation. ..
- Lee J, Hiibel S, Reardon K, Wood T. Identification of stress-related proteins in Escherichia coli using the pollutant cis-dichloroethylene. J Appl Microbiol. 2010;108:2088-102 pubmed publisher..the most hydrogen peroxide-sensitive mutants, ygiW and ychH, identified that FliS, GalS, HcaR, MglA, SufE, SufS, Tap, TnaB, YhcN and YjaA are also involved in the stress response of E...
- Endres R, Wingreen N. Precise adaptation in bacterial chemotaxis through "assistance neighborhoods". Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:13040-4 pubmed..We predict two limits of precise adaptation at large attractant concentrations: Either receptors reach full methylation and turn off, or receptors become saturated and cease to respond to attractant but retain their adapted activity. ..
- Manson M, Blank V, Brade G, Higgins C. Peptide chemotaxis in E. coli involves the Tap signal transducer and the dipeptide permease. Nature. 1986;321:253-6 pubmed..However, the role of the fourth MCP, Tap, has remained obscure...
- Ames P, Parkinson J. Phenotypic suppression methods for analyzing intra- and inter-molecular signaling interactions of chemoreceptors. Methods Enzymol. 2007;423:436-57 pubmed..The suppression patterns exhibit allele-specificity with respect to the compensatory residue positions and amino acid side chains, a hallmark of stereospecific protein-protein interactions. ..
- Liu X, Parales R. Bacterial chemotaxis to atrazine and related s-triazines. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009;75:5481-8 pubmed publisher..coli mutant lacking Tap (the pyrimidine chemoreceptor) was unable to respond to s-triazines...
- Krikos A, Mutoh N, Boyd A, Simon M. Sensory transducers of E. coli are composed of discrete structural and functional domains. Cell. 1983;33:615-22 pubmed..The tap gene lies adjacent to tar, and is thought to encode another transducer protein...
- Okumura H, Nishiyama S, Sasaki A, Homma M, Kawagishi I. Chemotactic adaptation is altered by changes in the carboxy-terminal sequence conserved among the major methyl-accepting chemoreceptors. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1862-8 pubmed..these species, Tsr, Tar, and Tcp have a well-conserved carboxy-terminal motif (NWET/SF) that is absent in Trg and Tap. When they are expressed as sole chemoreceptors, Tsr, Tar, and Tcp support good adaptation, but Trg and Tap are ..
- Boyd A, Krikos A, Simon M. Sensory transducers of E. coli are encoded by homologous genes. Cell. 1981;26:333-43 pubmed..that these genes are cotranscribed from a promoter upstream of tar and revealed the existence of a new gene, tap (taxis-associated protein), lying between tar and cheR...
- Mello B, Tu Y. An allosteric model for heterogeneous receptor complexes: understanding bacterial chemotaxis responses to multiple stimuli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:17354-9 pubmed..It should also be useful for studying the functions of other heterogeneous receptor complexes. ..
- Sourjik V, Berg H. Localization of components of the chemotaxis machinery of Escherichia coli using fluorescent protein fusions. Mol Microbiol. 2000;37:740-51 pubmed..Co-localization with flagellar structures was confirmed by immunofluorescence using an antihook primary antibody. Surprisingly, we did not observe co-localization of CheY with motors, even under conditions in which cells tumbled. ..
- Minoshima S, Hayashi H. Studies on bacterial chemotaxis. VI. Effect of cheX mutation on the methylation of methyl-accepting chemotaxis protein of Escherichia coli. J Biochem. 1980;87:1371-7 pubmed..The presence of four species of MCP's whose extent of methylation was affected by cheX mutation as well as cheB mutation was also shown by this experiment. ..
- Weerasuriya S, Schneider B, Manson M. Chimeric chemoreceptors in Escherichia coli: signaling properties of Tar-Tap and Tap-Tar hybrids. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:914-20 pubmedThe Tap (taxis toward peptides) receptor and the periplasmic dipeptide-binding protein (DBP) of Escherichia coli together mediate chemotactic responses to dipeptides. Tap is a low-abundance receptor...
- Parkinson J, Houts S. Isolation and behavior of Escherichia coli deletion mutants lacking chemotaxis functions. J Bacteriol. 1982;151:106-13 pubmed..These findings indicate that an important component of the signal transducing machinery may be altered in cheB mutants. ..
- Welch M, Oosawa K, Aizawa S, Eisenbach M. Phosphorylation-dependent binding of a signal molecule to the flagellar switch of bacteria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:8787-91 pubmed..This study provides a biochemical demonstration of binding of a signal molecule to the bacterial switch and demonstrates directly that phosphorylation regulates the activity of this molecule. ..
- Shimizu T, Le Novère N, Levin M, Beavil A, Sutton B, Bray D. Molecular model of a lattice of signalling proteins involved in bacterial chemotaxis. Nat Cell Biol. 2000;2:792-6 pubmed..This structure creates separate compartments for adaptation and downstream signalling, and indicates a possible basis for the spread of activity within the cluster. ..
- Parkinson J. Complementation analysis and deletion mapping of Escherichia coli mutants defective in chemotaxis. J Bacteriol. 1978;135:45-53 pubmed..These functions are probably involved in initiating of controlling changes in flagellar rotation in response to chemotactic stimuli. ..
- Liu X, Parales R. Chemotaxis of Escherichia coli to pyrimidines: a new role for the signal transducer tap. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:972-9 pubmed..All MCP mutants lacking the MCP Tap protein showed no response to pyrimidines, suggesting that Tap, which is known to mediate dipeptide chemotaxis, is ..
- Barak R, Eisenbach M. Correlation between phosphorylation of the chemotaxis protein CheY and its activity at the flagellar motor. Biochemistry. 1992;31:1821-6 pubmed..This increase in activity requires additional cytoplasmic constituents, the identity of which is not yet known. ..
- Toews M, Goy M, Springer M, Adler J. Attractants and repellents control demethylation of methylated chemotaxis proteins in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1979;76:5544-8 pubmed..It is therefore concluded that control of demethylation plays a crucial role in changing the level of methylation of MCP in response to attractants and repellents. ..
- Slocum M, Parkinson J. Genetics of methyl-accepting chemotaxis proteins in Escherichia coli: organization of the tar region. J Bacteriol. 1983;155:565-77 pubmed..The fifth gene, tap, was mapped between the tar and cheR loci and specified the production of a 65-kilodalton methyl-accepting protein...
- Hess J, Oosawa K, Matsumura P, Simon M. Protein phosphorylation is involved in bacterial chemotaxis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1987;84:7609-13 pubmed..We suggest that the phosphorylation of CheA by ATP plays a central role in signal transduction in chemotaxis. ..
- Kundu T, Kusano S, Ishihama A. Promoter selectivity of Escherichia coli RNA polymerase sigmaF holoenzyme involved in transcription of flagellar and chemotaxis genes. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:4264-9 pubmed..Alteration of the promoter structure after binding of E sigmaF was suggested...
- Benov L, Fridovich I. Escherichia coli exhibits negative chemotaxis in gradients of hydrogen peroxide, hypochlorite, and N-chlorotaurine: products of the respiratory burst of phagocytic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:4999-5002 pubmed..Hypochlorite and N-chlorotaurine were also strongly repellent. Chemotaxis down gradients of H2O2, OCl-, and N-chlorotaurine may contribute to the survival of commensal or pathogenic microorganisms. ..
- Slocum M, Parkinson J. Genetics of methyl-accepting chemotaxis proteins in Escherichia coli: null phenotypes of the tar and tap genes. J Bacteriol. 1985;163:586-94 pubmedThe tar and tap genes are located adjacent to one another in an operon of chemotaxis-related functions. They encode methyl-accepting chemotaxis proteins implicated in tactic responses to aspartate and maltose stimuli...
- Borkovich K, Alex L, Simon M. Attenuation of sensory receptor signaling by covalent modification. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:6756-60 pubmed..Reversible modification provides a mechanism that allows the cell to accumulate a population of receptor molecules capable of generating a wide range of signaling intensities. ..
- Yeh J, Biemann H, Pandit J, Koshland D, Kim S. The three-dimensional structure of the ligand-binding domain of a wild-type bacterial chemotaxis receptor. Structural comparison to the cross-linked mutant forms and conformational changes upon ligand binding. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:9787-92 pubmed..4) The nature and magnitude of the aspartate-induced conformational changes in the non-cross-linked wild-type structures are very similar to those of the cross-linked structures. ..