Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sufD
Description: component of SufBCD Fe-S cluster assembly scaffold
Alias: ECK1677, JW1671, ynhC
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Lee J, Yeo W, Roe J. Induction of the sufA operon encoding Fe-S assembly proteins by superoxide generators and hydrogen peroxide: involvement of OxyR, IHF and an unidentified oxidant-responsive factor. Mol Microbiol. 2004;51:1745-55 pubmed
- Wollers S, Layer G, Garcia Serres R, Signor L, Clemancey M, Latour J, et al. Iron-sulfur (Fe-S) cluster assembly: the SufBCD complex is a new type of Fe-S scaffold with a flavin redox cofactor. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:23331-41 pubmed publisher..conditions, this process is achieved by the SUF system that contains six proteins as follows: SufA, SufB, SufC, SufD, SufS, and SufE...
- Patzer S, Hantke K. SufS is a NifS-like protein, and SufD is necessary for stability of the [2Fe-2S] FhuF protein in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:3307-9 pubmedEscherichia coli fhuF mutants, a sufS::MudI mutant, and a sufD::MudI mutant were found to have the same phenotype: the inability to use ferrioxamine B as an iron source in a plate assay...
- Badger J, Sauder J, Adams J, Antonysamy S, Bain K, Bergseid M, et al. Structural analysis of a set of proteins resulting from a bacterial genomics project. Proteins. 2005;60:787-96 pubmed..More distant sequence-structure relationships between the SGX and PDB structures were investigated using PDB-BLAST and Combinatorial Extension (CE). Only one structure, SufD, has a truly unique topology compared to all folds in the PDB.
- Fontecave M, Choudens S, Py B, Barras F. Mechanisms of iron-sulfur cluster assembly: the SUF machinery. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2005;10:713-21 pubmed
- Barras F, Loiseau L, Py B. How Escherichia coli and Saccharomyces cerevisiae build Fe/S proteins. Adv Microb Physiol. 2005;50:41-101 pubmed..It is our hope that this parallel coverage will facilitate the identification of both similarities and specificities of ISC and SUF systems. ..
- Yeo W, Lee J, Lee K, Roe J. IscR acts as an activator in response to oxidative stress for the suf operon encoding Fe-S assembly proteins. Mol Microbiol. 2006;61:206-18 pubmed..These results support a model that IscR in its demetallated form directly activates sufA transcription, while it de-represses isc operon, under oxidative stress condition. ..
- Loiseau L, Ollagnier de Choudens S, Nachin L, Fontecave M, Barras F. Biogenesis of Fe-S cluster by the bacterial Suf system: SufS and SufE form a new type of cysteine desulfurase. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:38352-9 pubmed publisher..SUF system is made of six proteins: SufC is an atypical cytoplasmic ABC-ATPase, which forms a complex with SufB and SufD; SufA plays the role of a scaffold protein for assembly of iron-sulfur clusters and delivery to target proteins; ..
- Chahal H, Dai Y, Saini A, Ayala Castro C, Outten F. The SufBCD Fe-S scaffold complex interacts with SufA for Fe-S cluster transfer. Biochemistry. 2009;48:10644-53 pubmed publisher..Our results represent the first biochemical evidence that the SufBCD complex within the Suf pathway functions as a novel Fe-S scaffold system to assemble nascent clusters and transfer them to the SufA Fe-S shuttle. ..
- Djaman O, Outten F, Imlay J. Repair of oxidized iron-sulfur clusters in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:44590-9 pubmed
- Outten F, Wood M, Munoz F, Storz G. The SufE protein and the SufBCD complex enhance SufS cysteine desulfurase activity as part of a sulfur transfer pathway for Fe-S cluster assembly in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:45713-9 pubmed..We also found that the SufB, SufC, and SufD proteins associate in a stable complex and that, in the presence of SufE, the SufBCD complex further stimulates ..
- Saini A, Mapolelo D, Chahal H, Johnson M, Outten F. SufD and SufC ATPase activity are required for iron acquisition during in vivo Fe-S cluster formation on SufB. Biochemistry. 2010;49:9402-12 pubmed publisher..Although SufB, SufC, and SufD are all required for in vivo Suf function, their exact roles are unclear...