Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: spy
Description: periplasmic ATP-independent protein refolding chaperone, stress-induced
Alias: ECK1741, JW1732
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Quan S, Koldewey P, Tapley T, Kirsch N, Ruane K, Pfizenmaier J, et al. Genetic selection designed to stabilize proteins uncovers a chaperone called Spy. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;18:262-9 pubmed publisher..coli to stabilize a very unstable periplasmic protein, it massively overproduced a periplasmic protein called Spy, which increases the steady-state levels of a set of unstable protein mutants up to 700-fold...
- Garbe T, Kobayashi M, Yukawa H. Indole-inducible proteins in bacteria suggest membrane and oxidant toxicity. Arch Microbiol. 2000;173:78-82 pubmed..A direct indication of membrane derangement in E. coli may be the indole-inducible overproduction of spheroplast protein y (Spy).
- Vertommen D, Depuydt M, Pan J, Leverrier P, Knoops L, Szikora J, et al. The disulphide isomerase DsbC cooperates with the oxidase DsbA in a DsbD-independent manner. Mol Microbiol. 2008;67:336-49 pubmed..Our data indicate that DsbC can assist DsbA in a DsbD-independent manner to oxidatively fold envelope proteins. The view that DsbC's function is limited to the disulphide isomerization pathway should therefore be reinterpreted. ..
- Yamamoto K, Ogasawara H, Ishihama A. Involvement of multiple transcription factors for metal-induced spy gene expression in Escherichia coli. J Biotechnol. 2008;133:196-200 pubmed..A periplasmic protein Spy of E. coli was found to be induced upon short-exposure to copper ion in CpxAR-dependent manner...
- Nishino K, Honda T, Yamaguchi A. Genome-wide analyses of Escherichia coli gene expression responsive to the BaeSR two-component regulatory system. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:1763-72 pubmed..These data indicate that there is cross-regulation among the BaeSR, PhoBR, and CreBC two-component regulatory systems. Such a global analysis should reveal the regulatory network of the BaeSR system. ..
- Beloin C, Valle J, Latour Lambert P, Faure P, Kzreminski M, Balestrino D, et al. Global impact of mature biofilm lifestyle on Escherichia coli K-12 gene expression. Mol Microbiol. 2004;51:659-74 pubmed..These results constitute a comprehensive analysis of the global transcriptional response triggered in mature E. coli biofilms and provide insights into its physiological signature. ..
- Stull F, Koldewey P, Humes J, Radford S, Bardwell J. Substrate protein folds while it is bound to the ATP-independent chaperone Spy. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2016;23:53-58 pubmed publisher..Here we characterized the kinetic mechanism of substrate folding by the small ATP-independent chaperone Spy from Escherichia coli...
- Hagenmaier S, Stierhof Y, Henning U. A new periplasmic protein of Escherichia coli which is synthesized in spheroplasts but not in intact cells. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:2073-6 pubmedThe gene spy from Escherichia coli has been cloned and sequenced. It encodes a precursor of a so far unknown 139-residue, rather basic periplasmic protein...