Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: slt
Description: lytic murein transglycosylase, soluble
Alias: ECK4384, JW4355, sltY
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Thunnissen A, Dijkstra A, Kalk K, Rozeboom H, Engel H, Keck W, et al. Doughnut-shaped structure of a bacterial muramidase revealed by X-ray crystallography. Nature. 1994;367:750-3 pubmed..Here we report the X-ray structure of the periplasmic soluble lytic transglycosylase (SLT; M(r) 70,000) from Escherichia coli...
- Engel H, van Leeuwen A, Dijkstra A, Keck W. Enzymatic preparation of 1,6-anhydro-muropeptides by immobilized murein hydrolases from Escherichia coli fused to staphylococcal protein A. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 1992;37:772-83 pubmed..The genes slt, dacB, and mepA, encoding the soluble lytic transglycosylase (Slt), the penicillin-sensitive DD-endopeptidase (PBP4)..
- Romeis T, Holtje J. Specific interaction of penicillin-binding proteins 3 and 7/8 with soluble lytic transglycosylase in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:21603-7 pubmed..Several proteins were specifically enriched by Slt-Sepharose affinity chromatography. Two of them were identified as the penicillin-binding proteins (PBP)3 and PBP7/8...
- Lee M, Hesek D, Llarrull L, Lastochkin E, Pi H, Boggess B, et al. Reactions of all Escherichia coli lytic transglycosylases with bacterial cell wall. J Am Chem Soc. 2013;135:3311-4 pubmed publisher..These discoveries underscore the importance of the functions of these enzymes for recycling of the cell wall. ..
- Betzner A, Keck W. Molecular cloning, overexpression and mapping of the slt gene encoding the soluble lytic transglycosylase of Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;219:489-91 pubmedThe gene of the major autolysin of Escherichia coli, the soluble lytic transglycosylase (Slt), was isolated from an expression gene library. The cloned slt gene was used to determine its chromosomal map position adjacent to trp R at 99...
- Rozeboom H, Dijkstra B, Engel H, Keck W. Crystallization of the soluble lytic transglycosylase from Escherichia coli K12. J Mol Biol. 1990;212:557-9 pubmed..8 A resolution. Their space group is P2(1)2(1)2(1) with cell dimensions a = 81 A, b = 88 A and c = 135 A. Assuming one monomer (Mr 70,362) per asymmetric unit, the solvent content of these crystals is 63%. ..
- Heidrich C, Templin M, Ursinus A, Merdanovic M, Berger J, Schwarz H, et al. Involvement of N-acetylmuramyl-L-alanine amidases in cell separation and antibiotic-induced autolysis of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2001;41:167-78 pubmed..As amidase deletion mutants accumulate trimeric and tetrameric cross-links in their murein, it is suggested that these structures mark the division site before cleavage of the septum. ..
- Cho H, Uehara T, Bernhardt T. Beta-lactam antibiotics induce a lethal malfunctioning of the bacterial cell wall synthesis machinery. Cell. 2014;159:1300-11 pubmed publisher..The results thus provide insight into the mechanism of cell wall assembly and suggest how best to interfere with the process for future antibiotic development. ..
- Thunnissen A, Rozeboom H, Kalk K, Dijkstra B. Structure of the 70-kDa soluble lytic transglycosylase complexed with bulgecin A. Implications for the enzymatic mechanism. Biochemistry. 1995;34:12729-37 pubmed..The structure of the SLT70--bulgecin A complex may be of assistance in the rational design of novel antibiotics. ..
- Engel H, Kazemier B, Keck W. Murein-metabolizing enzymes from Escherichia coli: sequence analysis and controlled overexpression of the slt gene, which encodes the soluble lytic transglycosylase. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:6773-82 pubmedThe complete nucleotide sequence of the slt gene encoding the soluble lytic transglycosylase (Slt; EC 3.2.1.-) from Escherichia coli has been determined. The largest open reading frame identified on a 2...
- Walderich B, Holtje J. Subcellular distribution of the soluble lytic transglycosylase in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:5668-76 pubmed..This finding is discussed in the light of recent evidence suggesting that the murein of E. coli might be a structure of more than one layer expanding by inside-to-outside growth of patches of murein. ..
- Beachey E, Keck W, de Pedro M, Schwarz U. Exoenzymatic activity of transglycosylase isolated from Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 1981;116:355-8 pubmed..The kinetics of the activity of the membrane-bound enzyme were found to be identical to that of the soluble enzyme, indicating that both molecular species of transglycosylase function as exoenzymes in vitro. ..
- Betzner A, Ferreira L, Holtje J, Keck W. Control of the activity of the soluble lytic transglycosylase by the stringent response in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1990;55:161-4 pubmedThe soluble lytic transglycosylase (Slt) of Escherichia coli is known to be a powerful murein hydrolase in vitro. It is shown here to act as an autolysin in vivo as well...
- van Asselt E, Thunnissen A, Dijkstra B. High resolution crystal structures of the Escherichia coli lytic transglycosylase Slt70 and its complex with a peptidoglycan fragment. J Mol Biol. 1999;291:877-98 pubmed
- Korsak D, Liebscher S, Vollmer W. Susceptibility to antibiotics and beta-lactamase induction in murein hydrolase mutants of Escherichia coli. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005;49:1404-9 pubmed..We discuss the potential of murein hydrolase inhibitors for antibiotic therapy. ..
- Thunnissen A, Isaacs N, Dijkstra B. The catalytic domain of a bacterial lytic transglycosylase defines a novel class of lysozymes. Proteins. 1995;22:245-58 pubmed..Its fold is expected to be exemplary for other bacterial and bacteriophage muramidases with lytic transglycosylase activity. ..
- Dijkstra A, Keck W. Peptidoglycan as a barrier to transenvelope transport. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:5555-62 pubmed
- Holtje J, Mirelman D, Sharon N, Schwarz U. Novel type of murein transglycosylase in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1975;124:1067-76 pubmed..The new lytic enzyme is designated as a murein: murein transglycosylase. Its possible role in the rearrangement of murein during cell growth and division is discussed. ..