Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: slmA
Description: nucleoid occlusion factor, anti-FtsZ division inhibitor
Alias: ECK3631, JW5641, ttk, yicB
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Spitzer E, Weiss B. dfp Gene of Escherichia coli K-12, a locus affecting DNA synthesis, codes for a flavoprotein. J Bacteriol. 1985;164:994-1003 pubmed..The ability of a plasmid to complement a chromosomal dfp-707 mutation was correlated with its ability to produce a 45-kilodalton polypeptide. The purified protein contained 1 mol of flavin mononucleotide per mol of polypeptide. ..
- Lundberg L, Thoresson H, Karlström O, Nyman P. Nucleotide sequence of the structural gene for dUTPase of Escherichia coli K-12. EMBO J. 1983;2:967-71 pubmed..wt. 23 500 to this DNA region. The open reading frame thus may correspond to a protein of unknown function co-transcribed with the dut gene. ..
- Du S, Lutkenhaus J. SlmA antagonism of FtsZ assembly employs a two-pronged mechanism like MinCD. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004460 pubmed publisher..is prevented by a process called nucleoid occlusion (NO), which in Escherichia coli is partially mediated by SlmA. SlmA is a Z ring antagonist that is spatially regulated and activated by binding to specific DNA sequences (SlmA ..
- Bailey M, Bisicchia P, Warren B, Sherratt D, MÃ¤nnik J. Evidence for divisome localization mechanisms independent of the Min system and SlmA in Escherichia coli. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004504 pubmed publisher..In E. coli, nucleoid occlusion is mediated by the SlmA proteins...
- Schumacher M, Zeng W. Structures of the nucleoid occlusion protein SlmA bound to DNA and the C-terminal domain of the cytoskeletal protein FtsZ. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:4988-93 pubmed publisher..The DNA-binding protein SlmA binds to FtsZ and prevents Z-ring formation through the nucleoid in a process called "nucleoid occlusion" (NO)...