Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sdhC
Description: succinate dehydrogenase, membrane subunit, binds cytochrome b556
Alias: ECK0710, JW0711, cybA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Magnusson K, Philips M, Guest J, Rutberg L. Nucleotide sequence of the gene for cytochrome b558 of the Bacillus subtilis succinate dehydrogenase complex. J Bacteriol. 1986;166:1067-71 pubmed..cytochrome b of mitochondrial complex III from different organisms or between cytochrome b558 and the hydrophobic sdhC and sdhD peptides of the Escherichia coli sdh operon...
- Cunningham L, Guest J. Transcription and transcript processing in the sdhCDAB-sucABCD operon of Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 1998;144 ( Pt 8):2113-23 pubmed..Other sites of endonuclease processing were located by interpreting the patterns of transcript subfragments observed in Northern blotting. ..
- Horsefield R, Yankovskaya V, Sexton G, Whittingham W, Shiomi K, Omura S, et al. Structural and computational analysis of the quinone-binding site of complex II (succinate-ubiquinone oxidoreductase): a mechanism of electron transfer and proton conduction during ubiquinone reduction. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:7309-16 pubmed..This allows us to propose a mechanism for the reduction of ubiquinone during the catalytic turnover of the enzyme. ..
- Yang X, Yu L, Yu C. Resolution and reconstitution of succinate-ubiquinone reductase from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:9683-9 pubmed..active, two-subunit succinate dehydrogenase and a two-subunit membrane anchoring protein fraction (the SdhC-SdhD fraction) by alkaline (pH 10...
- Creaghan I, Guest J. Succinate dehydrogenase-dependent nutritional requirement for succinate in mutants of Escherichia coli K12. J Gen Microbiol. 1978;107:1-13 pubmed..Anaerobically, either isocitrate lyase or fumarate reductase is essential for succinate-independent growth on glucose. ..
- Spencer M, Guest J. Proteins of the inner membrane of Escherichia coli: identification of succinate dehydrogenase by polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis with sdh amber mutants. J Bacteriol. 1974;117:947-53 pubmed..The band corresponded to a protein with a molecular weight of 67,000 daltons, which is close to that for the large subunits of the succinate dehydrogenases of Rhodospirillum rubrum and beef heart mitochondria. ..
- Wrightstone R, Smith L, Wilson J, Vella F, Huisman T. Some physicochemical properties of hemoglobin-manitoba (alpha2 102Ser replaced by Arg (G9) beta2). Biochim Biophys Acta. 1975;412:283-7 pubmed
- Nihei C, Nakayashiki T, Nakamura K, Inokuchi H, Gennis R, Kojima S, et al. Abortive assembly of succinate-ubiquinone reductase (complex II) in a ferrochelatase-deficient mutant of Escherichia coli. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;265:394-404 pubmed..coli, and provide a new insight into the biological role of heme in the molecular assembly of the multi-subunit enzyme complex. ..
- Gunsalus R, Park S. Aerobic-anaerobic gene regulation in Escherichia coli: control by the ArcAB and Fnr regulons. Res Microbiol. 1994;145:437-50 pubmed..Together, they coordinate gene expression to adjust carbon flow with electron flow and energy generation so that cells can balance growth in an efficiently coupled manner. ..
- Barker H, Kinsella N, Jaspe A, Friedrich T, O Connor C. Formate protects stationary-phase Escherichia coli and Salmonella cells from killing by a cationic antimicrobial peptide. Mol Microbiol. 2000;35:1518-29 pubmed..Additionally, protective quantities of formate are secreted by E. coli and Salmonella during growth suggesting that such compounds are important determinants of bacterial survival in the host. ..
- Iuchi S, Cameron D, Lin E. A second global regulator gene (arcB) mediating repression of enzymes in aerobic pathways of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:868-73 pubmed..The arcB product might be a sensor protein for the redox or energy state of the arc regulatory system. ..
- Cheng V, Ma E, Zhao Z, Rothery R, Weiner J. The iron-sulfur clusters in Escherichia coli succinate dehydrogenase direct electron flow. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:27662-8 pubmed..We hypothesize that this occurs because the midpoint potentials of the [Fe-S] clusters in the native enzyme are poised such that direction of electron transfer from succinate to ubiquinone is favored. ..
- Tran Q, Rothery R, Maklashina E, Cecchini G, Weiner J. Escherichia coli succinate dehydrogenase variant lacking the heme b. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:18007-12 pubmed..In addition, the heme does not appear to be involved in reactive oxygen species suppression. Our results indicate that redox cycling of the heme in complex II is not essential for the enzyme's ubiquinol reductase activity. ..
- Tomasiak T, Maklashina E, Cecchini G, Iverson T. A threonine on the active site loop controls transition state formation in Escherichia coli respiratory complex II. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:15460-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, hydrogen bonding from act-T to substrate may coordinate with interdomain motions to twist the double bond of fumarate and introduce the strain important for attaining the transition state. ..
- Yankovskaya V, Horsefield R, T rnroth S, Luna Chavez C, Miyoshi H, L ger C, et al. Architecture of succinate dehydrogenase and reactive oxygen species generation. Science. 2003;299:700-4 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, symptoms of genetic disorders associated with mitochondrial SQR mutations may be a result of ROS formation resulting from impaired electron transport in the enzyme...
- Murakami H, Kita K, Oya H, Anraku Y. Chromosomal location of the Escherichia coli cytochrome b556 gene, cybA. Mol Gen Genet. 1984;196:1-5 pubmed..coli chromosome, did not synthesize cytochrome b556 at all. From these results, the gene cybA encoding cytochrome b556 was located in the kdp-gltA region...
- Ackrell B. Progress in understanding structure-function relationships in respiratory chain complex II. FEBS Lett. 2000;466:1-5 pubmed..These offer new insights into structure-function relationships of this class of flavoenzymes, including evidence favoring protein movement during catalysis...
- Hagerhall C. Succinate: quinone oxidoreductases. Variations on a conserved theme. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1320:107-41 pubmed
- Zhdan Pushkina S, Verbitskaia N, Kondrat eva L. [Succinate dehydrogenase activity of Escherichia coli cells after heat stress and during the reparative process]. Mikrobiologiia. 1986;55:357-61 pubmed..The SDH activity of the cell-free extracts did not change after their heating at 48 degrees C. The SDH activity of E. coli cells is recommended to be used as a parameter indicative of their stress state. ..
- Wade J, Struhl K. Association of RNA polymerase with transcribed regions in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:17777-82 pubmed..These observations suggest that in vivo association of sigma(70) and NusA with elongating RNAP is regulated by growth conditions. ..
- Kita K, Yamato I, Anraku Y. Purification and properties of cytochrome b556 in the respiratory chain of aerobically grown Escherichia coli K12. J Biol Chem. 1978;253:8910-5 pubmed..The molar extinction coefficient of cytochrome b556 was determined as 22.8 cm-1 mM-1. Its oxidation-reduction potential was found to be -45 mV. It could be reduced by D-lactate dehydrogenase of E. coli in the presence of menadione. ..
- Nakamura K, Yamaki M, Sarada M, Nakayama S, Vibat C, Gennis R, et al. Two hydrophobic subunits are essential for the heme b ligation and functional assembly of complex II (succinate-ubiquinone oxidoreductase) from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:521-7 pubmed..Gene products of sdhC and sdhD are small hydrophobic subunits that anchor the hydrophilic catalytic subunits (flavoprotein and iron-..
- Maklashina E, Rothery R, Weiner J, Cecchini G. Retention of heme in axial ligand mutants of succinate-ubiquinone xxidoreductase (complex II) from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:18968-76 pubmed..In the E. coli enzyme, heme b(556) is ligated between SdhC His(84) and SdhD His(71). Contrary to a previous report (Vibat, C. R. T., Cecchini, G., Nakamura, K., Kita, K...
- Maklashina E, Cecchini G. Comparison of catalytic activity and inhibitors of quinone reactions of succinate dehydrogenase (Succinate-ubiquinone oxidoreductase) and fumarate reductase (Menaquinol-fumarate oxidoreductase) from Escherichia coli. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1999;369:223-32 pubmed..The pH activity profiles for E. coli QFR and SQR are similar showing maximal activity between pH 7.4 and 7.8, suggesting the importance of similar catalytic groups in quinol deprotonation and oxidation. ..
- Oden K, DeVeaux L, Vibat C, Cronan J, Gennis R. Genomic replacement in Escherichia coli K-12 using covalently closed circular plasmid DNA. Gene. 1990;96:29-36 pubmed..It is reported that such mutants may be constructed without linearizing plasmid DNA, as described previously. ..
- Hederstedt L, Rutberg L. Succinate dehydrogenase--a comparative review. Microbiol Rev. 1981;45:542-55 pubmed
- Mewies M, McIntire W, Scrutton N. Covalent attachment of flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD) and flavin mononucleotide (FMN) to enzymes: the current state of affairs. Protein Sci. 1998;7:7-20 pubmed..Case studies are presented for a variety of covalent flavoenzymes, from which general findings are beginning to emerge. ..
- Kita K, Vibat C, Meinhardt S, Guest J, Gennis R. One-step purification from Escherichia coli of complex II (succinate: ubiquinone oxidoreductase) associated with succinate-reducible cytochrome b556. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:2672-7 pubmed..The enzyme has been reconstituted in phospholipid vesicles and demonstrated to reduce ubiquinone-8, the natural electron acceptor, at a high rate. ..
- Park S, Chao G, Gunsalus R. Aerobic regulation of the sucABCD genes of Escherichia coli, which encode alpha-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase and succinyl coenzyme A synthetase: roles of ArcA, Fnr, and the upstream sdhCDAB promoter. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:4138-42 pubmed..in response to changes in oxygen and carbon availability, a set of sucA-lacZ, sucC-lacZ, sdhCDAB-sucA-lacZ, and sdhC-lacZ fusions were constructed and analyzed in vivo...
- Cecchini G, Maklashina E, Yankovskaya V, Iverson T, Iwata S. Variation in proton donor/acceptor pathways in succinate:quinone oxidoreductases. FEBS Lett. 2003;545:31-8 pubmed..These results suggest that the anaerobic and aerobic forms of complex II have evolved different mechanisms for electron and proton transfer in their respective membrane domains. ..
- Guest J. Partial replacement of succinate dehydrogenase function by phage- and plasmid-specified fumarate reductase in Escherichia coli. J Gen Microbiol. 1981;122:171-9 pubmed
- Horsefield R, Yankovskaya V, Törnroth S, Luna Chavez C, Stambouli E, Barber J, et al. Using rational screening and electron microscopy to optimize the crystallization of succinate:ubiquinone oxidoreductase from Escherichia coli. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2003;59:600-2 pubmed..7, c = 521.9 A, and diffract to 2.6 A resolution. The optimization strategy used for obtaining well diffracting SQR crystals is applicable to a wide range of membrane proteins. ..
- Brandsch R, Bichler V. Covalent cofactor binding to flavoenzymes requires specific effectors. Eur J Biochem. 1989;182:125-8 pubmed..Our results suggest that covalent modification and thus activation of these enzymes is dependent on specific metabolic intermediates which may act as allosteric effectors in the reaction. ..
- Pershad H, Hirst J, Cochran B, Ackrell B, Armstrong F. Voltammetric studies of bidirectional catalytic electron transport in Escherichia coli succinate dehydrogenase: comparison with the enzyme from beef heart mitochondria. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1412:262-72 pubmed..Thus, succinate dehydrogenase is an excellent fumarate reductase, but its activity in this direction is limited to a very specific range of potential. ..
- Matsushika A, Mizuno T. A dual-signaling mechanism mediated by the ArcB hybrid sensor kinase containing the histidine-containing phosphotransfer domain in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:3973-7 pubmed..Based on these and other in vivo results, we propose a model in which ArcB functions in its own right as a dual-signaling sensor that is capable of propagating two types of stimuli through two distinct phosphotransfer pathways. ..
- Hagerhall C, Hederstedt L. A structural model for the membrane-integral domain of succinate: quinone oxidoreductases. FEBS Lett. 1996;389:25-31 pubmed..The structure can be applied to a larger group of membrane-integral cytochromes of b-type and has evolutionary and functional implications. ..
- Maklashina E, Berthold D, Cecchini G. Anaerobic expression of Escherichia coli succinate dehydrogenase: functional replacement of fumarate reductase in the respiratory chain during anaerobic growth. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:5989-96 pubmed..coli accommodates the excess SQR produced by increasing the amount of membrane. The excess membrane was found in tubular structures that could be seen in thin-section electron micrographs. ..
- Anderson R, Hille R, Shinde S, Cecchini G. Electron transfer within complex II. Succinate:ubiquinone oxidoreductase of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:33331-7 pubmed
- Tran Q, Rothery R, Maklashina E, Cecchini G, Weiner J. The quinone binding site in Escherichia coli succinate dehydrogenase is required for electron transfer to the heme b. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:32310-7 pubmed..between the [3Fe-4S] cluster of the SdhB subunit and the heme b(556) that is coordinated by His residues from the SdhC and SdhD subunits...
- Calhoun M, Newton G, Gennis R. E. coli map. Physical map locations of genes encoding components of the aerobic respiratory chain of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:1569-70 pubmed
- Darlison M, Guest J. Nucleotide sequence encoding the iron-sulphur protein subunit of the succinate dehydrogenase of Escherichia coli. Biochem J. 1984;223:507-17 pubmed..region from the preceding flavoprotein gene (sdhA) and is the distal gene of an operon that also includes genes (sdhC and D) encoding two hydrophobic subunits, sdhCDAB...
- Nam T, Park Y, Jeong H, Ryu S, Seok Y. Glucose repression of the Escherichia coli sdhCDAB operon, revisited: regulation by the CRP*cAMP complex. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:6712-22 pubmed..enzyme IIA(Glc) and intracellular cAMP on various carbon sources were proportional to the expression levels of sdhC-lacZ. Disruption of crp or cya completely abolished the glucose repression of sdhC-lacZ expression...
- Condon C, Cammack R, Patil D, Owen P. The succinate dehydrogenase of Escherichia coli. Immunochemical resolution and biophysical characterization of a 4-subunit enzyme complex. J Biol Chem. 1985;260:9427-34 pubmed..Midpoint redox potentials of Centers 1-3 for both the membrane-bound and detergent-solubilized enzyme were estimated to be +10 mV, -175 mV, and +65 mV, respectively. ..
- Shimizu H, Nihei C, Inaoka D, Mogi T, Kita K, Harada S. Screening of detergents for solubilization, purification and crystallization of membrane proteins: a case study on succinate:ubiquinone oxidoreductase from Escherichia coli. Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. 2008;64:858-62 pubmed publisher..Crystallization took place before detergent phase separation occurred and the type of detergent mixture affected the crystal form. ..
- Yang X, Yu L, He D, Yu C. The quinone-binding site in succinate-ubiquinone reductase from Escherichia coli. Quinone-binding domain and amino acid residues involved in quinone binding. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:31916-23 pubmed..3H]azido-Q) followed by SDS-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, radioactivity is found in the SdhC subunit, indicating that this subunit is responsible for ubiquinone binding...
- Törnroth S, Yankovskaya V, Cecchini G, Iwata S. Purification, crystallisation and preliminary crystallographic studies of succinate:ubiquinone oxidoreductase from Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1553:171-6 pubmed..coli QFR (fumarate reductase) as a search model. The packing suggests that E. coli SQR is a crystallographic trimer rather than a dimer as observed for the E. coli QFR. ..
- Zhao Z, Rothery R, Weiner J. Effects of site-directed mutations in Escherichia coli succinate dehydrogenase on the enzyme activity and production of superoxide radicals. Biochem Cell Biol. 2006;84:1013-21 pubmed..We have investigated the effects of site-directed mutations around the heme (SdhD-H71L and SdhC-H91L), and at the ubiquinone-binding site (Q site; SdhC-I28E), on enzyme activity and production of superoxide ..
- Fischer E, Sauer U. A novel metabolic cycle catalyzes glucose oxidation and anaplerosis in hungry Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:46446-51 pubmed
- Wood D, Darlison M, Wilde R, Guest J. Nucleotide sequence encoding the flavoprotein and hydrophobic subunits of the succinate dehydrogenase of Escherichia coli. Biochem J. 1984;222:519-34 pubmed..the sdhA gene, encoding the flavoprotein subunit of succinate dehydrogenase of Escherichia coli, and two genes sdhC and sdhD, encoding small hydrophobic subunits, has been determined...
- Vibat C, Cecchini G, Nakamura K, Kita K, Gennis R. Localization of histidine residues responsible for heme axial ligation in cytochrome b556 of complex II (succinate:ubiquinone oxidoreductase) in Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1998;37:4148-59 pubmed..Two of the subunits (SDHC and SDHD) are hydrophobic and anchor the two more hydrophilic (flavin and iron-sulfur) subunits (SDHA and SDHB) to ..