Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sapD
Description: antimicrobial peptide ABC transporter ATPase
Alias: ECK1286, JW1284, trkE
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Bossemeyer D, Borchard A, Dosch D, Helmer G, Epstein W, Booth I, et al. K+-transport protein TrkA of Escherichia coli is a peripheral membrane protein that requires other trk gene products for attachment to the cytoplasmic membrane. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:16403-10 pubmed..Mutations in the three other genes implicated in Trk activity, trkE, trkG, and trkH, reduced or abolished the binding of TrkA to the membrane...
- Groisman E, Parra Lopez C, Salcedo M, Lipps C, Heffron F. Resistance to host antimicrobial peptides is necessary for Salmonella virulence. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:11939-43 pubmed..Our data indicate that the ability to resist the killing effect of host antimicrobial peptides is a virulence property and that several resistance mechanisms operate in S. typhimurium. ..
- Parra Lopez C, Lin R, Aspedon A, Groisman E. A Salmonella protein that is required for resistance to antimicrobial peptides and transport of potassium. EMBO J. 1994;13:3964-72 pubmed..SapG may modulate the activities of SapABCDF and SapJ to mediate the transport of peptides and potassium. ..
- Epstein W, Buurman E, McLaggan D, Naprstek J. Multiple mechanisms, roles and controls of K+ transport in Escherichia coli. Biochem Soc Trans. 1993;21:1006-10 pubmed
- Parra Lopez C, Baer M, Groisman E. Molecular genetic analysis of a locus required for resistance to antimicrobial peptides in Salmonella typhimurium. EMBO J. 1993;12:4053-62 pubmed..from the wild-type plasmid conferring resistance to protamine contained five open reading frames: sapA, sapB, sapC, sapD and sapF, organized in an operon structure and transcribed as a 5.3 kb mRNA...
- Schlosser A, Hamann A, Bossemeyer D, Schneider E, Bakker E. NAD+ binding to the Escherichia coli K(+)-uptake protein TrkA and sequence similarity between TrkA and domains of a family of dehydrogenases suggest a role for NAD+ in bacterial transport. Mol Microbiol. 1993;9:533-43 pubmed..Strong u.v. illumination at 252 nm led to cross-linking of NAD+ or NADH, but not of ATP to the isolated TrkA protein...
- Trchounian A, Kobayashi H. K+ uptake by fermenting Escherichia coli cells: pH dependent mode of the TrkA system operating. Biosci Rep. 2000;20:277-88 pubmed..0 than that for cells grown at pH 7.3; (4) the DCCD-inhibited ATPase activity of membrane vesicles from bacteria grown at pH 9.0 was reduced a little in the presence of 100 mM K+, but stimulated more than 2.4-fold at pH 7.3. ..
- Trchounian A. Ion exchange in facultative anaerobes: does a proton-potassium pump exist in anaerobic Escherichia Coli?. Anaerobe. 1997;3:355-71 pubmed
- Schl sser A, Meldorf M, Stumpe S, Bakker E, Epstein W. TrkH and its homolog, TrkG, determine the specificity and kinetics of cation transport by the Trk system of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:1908-10 pubmed..The kinetics of transport in strains with wild-type alleles at trkG and at trkH suggest that both products participate in transport...
- Stumpe -, Bakker -. Requirement of a large K+-uptake capacity and of extracytoplasmic protease activity for protamine resistance of Escherichia coli. Arch Microbiol. 1997;167:126-36 pubmed..Cells that cannot take up K+ rapidly remain metabolically compromised to such an extent that extracytoplasmic protease activity is not induced, leading to a prolonged susceptibility of the cells to the toxic peptide. ..
- Trchunian A, Durgar ian S, Ogandzhanian E, Ter Nikogosian V, Vardanian A. [The capacity of anaerobically grown bacteria to exchange the 2H+ of the cell for the K+ of the medium and to maintain a high K+ distribution between cell and medium]. Nauchnye Doki Vyss Shkoly Biol Nauki. 1986;:82-8 pubmed
- Stumpe S, Bakker E. Requirement of a large K+-uptake capacity and of extracytoplasmic protease activity for protamine resistance of Escherichia coli. Arch Microbiol. 1997;167:126-36 pubmed..Cells that cannot take up K+ rapidly remain metabolically compromised to such an extent that extracytoplasmic protease activity is not induced, leading to a prolonged susceptibility of the cells to the toxic peptide. ..
- Harms C, Domoto Y, Celik C, Rahe E, Stumpe S, Schmid R, et al. Identification of the ABC protein SapD as the subunit that confers ATP dependence to the K+-uptake systems Trk(H) and Trk(G) from Escherichia coli K-12. Microbiology. 2001;147:2991-3003 pubmed..All five plasmid-encoded E. coli Sap proteins were made in E. coli mini-cells. The presence of the ATP-binding SapD protein from either E. coli or V...