Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rsgA
Description: ribosome small subunit-dependent GTPase A
Alias: ECK4157, JW4122, engC, yjeQ
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Jomaa A, Stewart G, Mears J, Kireeva I, Brown E, Ortega J. Cryo-electron microscopy structure of the 30S subunit in complex with the YjeQ biogenesis factor. RNA. 2011;17:2026-38 pubmed publisherb>YjeQ is a protein broadly conserved in bacteria containing an N-terminal oligonucleotide/oligosaccharide fold (OB-fold) domain, a central GTPase domain, and a C-terminal zinc-finger domain...
- Jeganathan A, Razi A, Thurlow B, Ortega J. The C-terminal helix in the YjeQ zinc-finger domain catalyzes the release of RbfA during 30S ribosome subunit assembly. RNA. 2015;21:1203-16 pubmed publisherYjeQ (also called RsgA) and RbfA proteins in Escherichia coli bind to immature 30S ribosome subunits at late stages of assembly to assist folding of the decoding center...
- Razi A, GuarnÃ© A, Ortega J. The cryo-EM structure of YjeQ bound to the 30S subunit suggests a fidelity checkpoint function for this protein in ribosome assembly. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E3396-E3403 pubmed publisherRecent work suggests that bacterial YjeQ (RsgA) participates in the late stages of assembly of the 30S subunit and aids the assembly of the decoding center but also binds the mature 30S subunit with high affinity...
- Campbell T, Daigle D, Brown E. Characterization of the Bacillus subtilis GTPase YloQ and its role in ribosome function. Biochem J. 2005;389:843-52 pubmed..of the cellular phenotype and biochemical activity of a conserved bacterial GTPase of unknown function (YloQ and YjeQ in Bacillus subtilis and Escherichia coli respectively) using a collection of antibiotics of diverse mechanisms and ..
- Comartin D, Brown E. Non-ribosomal factors in ribosome subunit assembly are emerging targets for new antibacterial drugs. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2006;6:453-8 pubmed..Accumulating evidence indicates that the proteins Era, Obg, YjeQ, YlqF and RimM are chaperones which may be crucial to bacterial ribosome assembly, and therefore represent novel ..
- Jomaa A, Stewart G, Martín Benito J, Zielke R, Campbell T, Maddock J, et al. Understanding ribosome assembly: the structure of in vivo assembled immature 30S subunits revealed by cryo-electron microscopy. RNA. 2011;17:697-709 pubmed publisher..Here, we used a viable deletion in the yjeQ gene, a recognized ribosome assembly factor, to isolate and structurally characterize immature 30S subunits ..