Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rpsU
Description: 30S ribosomal subunit protein S21
Alias: ECK3055, JW3037
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Held W, Mizushima S, Nomura M. Reconstitution of Escherichia coli 30 S ribosomal subunits from purified molecular components. J Biol Chem. 1973;248:5720-30 pubmed
- Stern S, Powers T, Changchien L, Noller H. Interaction of ribosomal proteins S5, S6, S11, S12, S18 and S21 with 16 S rRNA. J Mol Biol. 1988;201:683-95 pubmed..Altogether these results show that many of the small subunit proteins, which have previously been shown to be functionally important, appear to be associated with functionally implicated segments of 16 S rRNA. ..
- Versalovic J, Koeuth T, McCabe E, Lupski J. Use of the polymerase chain reaction for physical mapping of Escherichia coli genes. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:5253-5 pubmed
- Bubunenko M, Baker T, Court D. Essentiality of ribosomal and transcription antitermination proteins analyzed by systematic gene replacement in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:2844-53 pubmed..Interestingly, although most 30S ribosomal proteins were essential, the knockouts of six ribosomal protein genes, rpsF (S6), rpsI (S9), rpsM (S13), rpsO (S15), rpsQ (S17), and rpsT (S20), were viable. ..
- Wittmann Liebold B. Studies on the primary structure of 20 proteins from Escherichia coli ribosomes by means of an improved protein sequenator. FEBS Lett. 1973;36:247-9 pubmed
- Vandekerckhove J, Rombauts W, Peeters B, Wittmann Liebold B. Determination of the complete amino acid sequence of protein S21 from Escherichia coli ribosomes. Hoppe Seylers Z Physiol Chem. 1975;356:1955-76 pubmed..It contains neither Met nor Trp. The molecular weight amounts to 8359. Clustering of basic amino acids is observed in five regions. We also include a prediction for regions with alpha-helices and with beta-sheets. ..
- Nellemann L, Holm F, Atlung T, Hansen F. Cloning and characterization of the Escherichia coli phosphoglycerate kinase (pgk) gene. Gene. 1989;77:185-91 pubmed..Bacteriol. 154 (1987) 336-343]. The pgk gene was also found to show growth phase regulation; the synthesis of Pgk protein was induced more than ten-fold during transition from the exponential to the stationary growth phase. ..
- Burton Z, Gross C, Watanabe K, Burgess R. The operon that encodes the sigma subunit of RNA polymerase also encodes ribosomal protein S21 and DNA primase in E. coli K12. Cell. 1983;32:335-49 pubmed..Within the sequence upstream from rpoD, we have identified the structural genes rpsU and dnaG, which encode the 30S ribosomal protein S21 and DNA primase, respectively...
- Lupski J, Godson G. The rpsU-dnaG-rpoD macromolecular synthesis operon of E. coli. Cell. 1984;39:251-2 pubmed
- Dabbs E. The gene for ribosomal protein S21, rpsU, maps close to dnaG at 66.5 min on the Escherichia coli chromosomal linkage map. J Bacteriol. 1980;144:603-7 pubmed..5 min on the Escherichia coli chromosomal linkage map. They cotransduced about 95% with this marker. These mutations define gene rpsU, which is very likely the structural gene for protein S21.
- Lupski J, Ruiz A, Godson G. Promotion, termination, and anti-termination in the rpsU-dnaG-rpoD macromolecular synthesis operon of E. coli K-12. Mol Gen Genet. 1984;195:391-401 pubmedThe regulatory regions for the rpsU-dnaG-rpoD macromolecular synthesis operon have been fused to a structural gene whose product is readily assayed (the Cmr structural gene coding for chloramphenicol acetyl transferase, CAT)...
- Daigle D, Brown E. Studies of the interaction of Escherichia coli YjeQ with the ribosome in vitro. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:1381-7 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that the YjeQ protein participates in a guanine nucleotide-dependent interaction with the ribosome and implicate this conserved, essential GTPase as a novel factor in ribosome function. ..
- Noller H, Hoang L, Fredrick K. The 30S ribosomal P site: a function of 16S rRNA. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:855-8 pubmed..Deletion of these tails now shows that the 16S rRNA contacts alone are sufficient to support protein synthesis in living cells. ..
- Hindennach I, Stoffler G, Wittmann H. Ribosomal proteins. Isolation of the proteins from 30S ribosomal subunits of Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 1971;23:7-11 pubmed
- Brandt R, Gualerzi C. Ribosomal localization of the mRNA in the 30S initiation complex as revealed by UV crosslinking. FEBS Lett. 1992;311:199-202 pubmed
- MacKeen L, Kahan L, Wahba A, Schwartz I. Photochemical cross-linking of initiation factor-3 to Escherichia coli 30 S ribosomal subunits. J Biol Chem. 1980;255:10526-31 pubmed..The target proteins have been identified as S7, S11, S12, S18, and S21 by immunochemical techniques. ..
- van Duin J, Wijnands R. The function of ribosomal protein S21 in protein synthesis. Eur J Biochem. 1981;118:615-9 pubmed..Addition of S21 to S21-deprived subunits restores the MS2-RNA-dependent initiation complex formation. ..
- Czworkowski J, Odom O, Hardesty B. Fluorescence study of the topology of messenger RNA bound to the 30S ribosomal subunit of Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1991;30:4821-30 pubmed..By using the distances calculated from energy transfer between the 3' end of 16S rRNA and the ends of RNAs of varying lengths, a topological map of this region of mRNA on the 30S subunit was constructed. ..
- Maki J, Schnobrich D, Culver G. The DnaK chaperone system facilitates 30S ribosomal subunit assembly. Mol Cell. 2002;10:129-38 pubmed..These studies reveal a novel role for the DnaK/hsp70 chaperone system, in addition to its well-documented role in protein folding, and suggest that 30S subunit assembly can be facilitated. ..
- Himeno H, Hanawa Suetsugu K, Kimura T, Takagi K, Sugiyama W, Shirata S, et al. A novel GTPase activated by the small subunit of ribosome. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:5303-9 pubmed..We also found that 17S RNA, a putative precursor of 16S rRNA, was contained in the small subunit of the ribosome from the RsgA-deletion strain. RsgA is a novel GTPase that might provide a new insight into the function of ribosome. ..
- Gu S, Jöckel J, Beinker P, Warnecke J, Semenkov Y, Rodnina M, et al. Conformation of 4.5S RNA in the signal recognition particle and on the 30S ribosomal subunit. RNA. 2005;11:1374-84 pubmed..The functional role of 4.5S RNA binding to the 30S subunit is unclear, as the RNA had no effect on translation or tRNA translocation on the ribosome. ..