Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rpsR
Description: 30S ribosomal subunit protein S18
Alias: ECK4198, JW4160
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Isono K, Isono S. Ribosomal protein modification in Escherichia coli. II. Studies of a mutant lacking the N-terminal acetylation of protein S18. Mol Gen Genet. 1980;177:645-51 pubmed..The mutation does not affect the acetylation of two other ribosomal proteins, S5 and L12, both of which are known to be acetylated in wild-type E. coli K12. ..
- Dabbs E. Kasugamycin-dependent mutants of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1978;136:994-1001 pubmed..Three showed changes in protein S9. Each of two mutants had changes in two proteins, S18 and L11. Three of these mutants additionally had protein S18 occurring in a partly altered, partly unaltered form. ..
- Himeno H, Hanawa Suetsugu K, Kimura T, Takagi K, Sugiyama W, Shirata S, et al. A novel GTPase activated by the small subunit of ribosome. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:5303-9 pubmed..We also found that 17S RNA, a putative precursor of 16S rRNA, was contained in the small subunit of the ribosome from the RsgA-deletion strain. RsgA is a novel GTPase that might provide a new insight into the function of ribosome. ..
- Bischof O, Kruft V, Wittmann Liebold B. Analysis of the puromycin binding site in the 70 S ribosome of Escherichia coli at the peptide level. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:18315-9 pubmed..For the first time the molecular environment of an antibiotic in the procaryotic ribosome is presented at the peptide level. ..
- Nicholson A, Hall C, Strycharz W, Cooperman B. Photoaffinity labeling of Escherichia coli ribosomes by an aryl azide analogue of puromycin. Evidence for the functional site specificity of labeling. Biochemistry. 1982;21:3809-17 pubmed..The possible relationship of the major proteins labeled, S18, S7, and S14, to tRNA binding is considered. ..
- Hindennach I, Stoffler G, Wittmann H. Ribosomal proteins. Isolation of the proteins from 30S ribosomal subunits of Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 1971;23:7-11 pubmed
- Ginzburg I, Miskin R, Zamir A. N-ethyl maleimide as a probe for the study of functional sites and conformations of 30 S ribosomal subunits. J Mol Biol. 1973;79:481-94 pubmed
- Stern S, Powers T, Changchien L, Noller H. Interaction of ribosomal proteins S5, S6, S11, S12, S18 and S21 with 16 S rRNA. J Mol Biol. 1988;201:683-95 pubmed..Altogether these results show that many of the small subunit proteins, which have previously been shown to be functionally important, appear to be associated with functionally implicated segments of 16 S rRNA. ..
- Moine H, Bienaime C, Mougel M, Reinbolt J, Ebel J, Ehresmann C, et al. Crosslinking of ribosomal protein S18 to 16 S RNA in E.coli ribosomal 30 S subunits by the use of a reversible crosslinking agent: trans-diamminedichloroplatinum(II). FEBS Lett. 1988;228:1-6 pubmed..This result is discussed in the light of current knowledge of the topographical localization of S18 in the 30 S subunit and of its relation with function. ..
- Boileau G, Butler P, Hershey J, Traut R. Direct cross-links between initiation factors 1, 2, and 3 and ribosomal proteins promoted by 2-iminothiolane. Biochemistry. 1983;22:3162-70 pubmed..Cross-links between factors IF1-IF2 and IF3-IF2 were also identified. A model integrating these findings with others on the protein topography of the ribosome is presented. ..
- MacKeen L, Kahan L, Wahba A, Schwartz I. Photochemical cross-linking of initiation factor-3 to Escherichia coli 30 S ribosomal subunits. J Biol Chem. 1980;255:10526-31 pubmed..The target proteins have been identified as S7, S11, S12, S18, and S21 by immunochemical techniques. ..
- Held W, Mizushima S, Nomura M. Reconstitution of Escherichia coli 30 S ribosomal subunits from purified molecular components. J Biol Chem. 1973;248:5720-30 pubmed
- Schnier J, Kitakawa M, Isono K. The nucleotide sequence of an Escherichia coli chromosomal region containing the genes for ribosomal proteins S6, S18, L9 and an open reading frame. Mol Gen Genet. 1986;204:126-32 pubmedThe DNA sequence of a cluster of genes for ribosomal proteins S6 (rpsF), S18 (rpsR) and L9 (rplI), and of their surrounding regions was determined. The order of the genes was established as promoter-rpsF-rpsR-rplI...
- Noller H, Hoang L, Fredrick K. The 30S ribosomal P site: a function of 16S rRNA. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:855-8 pubmed..Deletion of these tails now shows that the 16S rRNA contacts alone are sufficient to support protein synthesis in living cells. ..
- Allen G, Kornberg A. The priB gene encoding the primosomal replication n protein of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:11610-3 pubmedThe gene encoding protein n of the Escherichia coli primosome has been discovered in the rpsF-rpsR-rplI ribosomal protein operon and designated priB...
- Adilakshmi T, Bellur D, Woodson S. Concurrent nucleation of 16S folding and induced fit in 30S ribosome assembly. Nature. 2008;455:1268-72 pubmed publisher..Although early steps in assembly are linked to intrinsically stable rRNA structure, later steps correspond to regions of induced fit between the proteins and the rRNA. ..
- Isono K, Krauss J, Hirota Y. Isolation and characterization of temperature-sensitive mutants of Escherichia coli with altered ribosomal proteins. Mol Gen Genet. 1976;149:297-302 pubmed..The importance of these mutants for structural and functional analyses of ribosomes is discussed. ..
- Nicholson A, Cooperman B. Photoaffinity labeling of Escherichia coli ribosomes with an aryl azide analogue of puromycin. FEBS Lett. 1978;90:203-8 pubmed
- Hauser R, Ceol A, Rajagopala S, Mosca R, Siszler G, Wermke N, et al. A second-generation protein-protein interaction network of Helicobacter pylori. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2014;13:1318-29 pubmed publisher..coli of which one third turned out to be conserved in both species. ..