Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rpsQ
Description: 30S ribosomal subunit protein S17
Alias: ECK3298, JW3273, neaA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Cannon M, Cabezon T, Bollen A. Mapping of neamine resistance: identification to two genetic loci, nea A and nea B. Mol Gen Genet. 1974;130:321-6 pubmed
- Held W, Mizushima S, Nomura M. Reconstitution of Escherichia coli 30 S ribosomal subunits from purified molecular components. J Biol Chem. 1973;248:5720-30 pubmed
- Wittmann Liebold B. Studies on the primary structure of 20 proteins from Escherichia coli ribosomes by means of an improved protein sequenator. FEBS Lett. 1973;36:247-9 pubmed
- Bollen A, Cabezon T, de Wilde M, Villarroel R, Herzog A. Alteration of ribosomal protein S17 by mutation linked to neamine resistance in Escherichia coli. I. General properties of neaA mutants. J Mol Biol. 1975;99:795-806 pubmed
- Herzog A, Yaguchi M, Cabez n T, Corchuelo M, Petre J, Bollen A. A missense mutation in the gene coding for ribosomal protein S17 (rpsQ) leading to ribosomal assembly defectivity in Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1979;171:15-22 pubmed..We conclude therefore that the 2861 mis mutation affects the structural gene for protein S 17 (rpsQ).
- Bubunenko M, Baker T, Court D. Essentiality of ribosomal and transcription antitermination proteins analyzed by systematic gene replacement in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:2844-53 pubmed..Interestingly, although most 30S ribosomal proteins were essential, the knockouts of six ribosomal protein genes, rpsF (S6), rpsI (S9), rpsM (S13), rpsO (S15), rpsQ (S17), and rpsT (S20), were viable.
- Noller H, Hoang L, Fredrick K. The 30S ribosomal P site: a function of 16S rRNA. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:855-8 pubmed..Deletion of these tails now shows that the 16S rRNA contacts alone are sufficient to support protein synthesis in living cells. ..
- Daigle D, Brown E. Studies of the interaction of Escherichia coli YjeQ with the ribosome in vitro. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:1381-7 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that the YjeQ protein participates in a guanine nucleotide-dependent interaction with the ribosome and implicate this conserved, essential GTPase as a novel factor in ribosome function. ..
- Hoving S, Munchbach M, Schmid H, Signor L, Lehmann A, Staudenmann W, et al. A method for the chemical generation of N-terminal peptide sequence tags for rapid protein identification. Anal Chem. 2000;72:1006-14 pubmed..We show that chemical tagging is a viable first-pass high-throughput identification method to be used prior to an in depth MS/MS analysis. ..
- Graifer D, Babkina G, Matasova N, Vladimirov S, Karpova G, Vlassov V. Structural arrangement of tRNA binding sites on Escherichia coli ribosomes, as revealed from data on affinity labelling with photoactivatable tRNA derivatives. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1989;1008:146-56 pubmed
- Urlaub H, Kruft V, Bischof O, Müller E, Wittmann Liebold B. Protein-rRNA binding features and their structural and functional implications in ribosomes as determined by cross-linking studies. EMBO J. 1995;14:4578-88 pubmed
- Wiener L, Schuler D, Brimacombe R. Protein binding sites on Escherichia coli 16S ribosomal RNA; RNA regions that are protected by proteins S7, S9 and S19, and by proteins S8, S15 and S17. Nucleic Acids Res. 1988;16:1233-50 pubmed..When protein S15 was omitted, S8 and S18 showed protection of part of helix 44 in addition to the latter regions. The results are discussed in terms of our model for the detailed arrangement of proteins and RNA in the 30S subunit. ..
- Zurawski G, Zurawski S. Structure of the Escherichia coli S10 ribosomal protein operon. Nucleic Acids Res. 1985;13:4521-6 pubmed..the deduced order of the 11 genes in the operon is rpsJ, rplC, rplD, rplW, rplB, rpsS, rplV, rpsC, rplP, rpmC, rpsQ. The estimated transcribed length of the operon is 5181 base pairs...
- Hindennach I, Stoffler G, Wittmann H. Ribosomal proteins. Isolation of the proteins from 30S ribosomal subunits of Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 1971;23:7-11 pubmed
- Topisirovic L, Villarroel R, de Wilde M, Herzog A, Cabezon T, Bollen A. Translational fidelity in Escherichia coli: contrasting role of neaA and ramA gene products in the ribosome functioning. Mol Gen Genet. 1977;151:89-94 pubmed..These properties suggest that translational fidelity may be cooperatively controlled by ribosomal proteins S4 and S17, coded by ramA (rpsd) and neaA (rpsq) genes respectively.
- Maki J, Schnobrich D, Culver G. The DnaK chaperone system facilitates 30S ribosomal subunit assembly. Mol Cell. 2002;10:129-38 pubmed..These studies reveal a novel role for the DnaK/hsp70 chaperone system, in addition to its well-documented role in protein folding, and suggest that 30S subunit assembly can be facilitated. ..
- Olins P, Nomura M. Regulation of the S10 ribosomal protein operon in E. coli: nucleotide sequence at the start of the operon. Cell. 1981;26:205-11 pubmed..This supports the model of the translational feedback regulation of the S10 operon by L4. ..
- Himeno H, Hanawa Suetsugu K, Kimura T, Takagi K, Sugiyama W, Shirata S, et al. A novel GTPase activated by the small subunit of ribosome. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:5303-9 pubmed..We also found that 17S RNA, a putative precursor of 16S rRNA, was contained in the small subunit of the ribosome from the RsgA-deletion strain. RsgA is a novel GTPase that might provide a new insight into the function of ribosome. ..
- Held W, Ballou B, Mizushima S, Nomura M. Assembly mapping of 30 S ribosomal proteins from Escherichia coli. Further studies. J Biol Chem. 1974;249:3103-11 pubmed