Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rpsN
Description: 30S ribosomal subunit protein S14
Alias: ECK3294, JW3269
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Cerretti D, Dean D, Davis G, Bedwell D, Nomura M. The spc ribosomal protein operon of Escherichia coli: sequence and cotranscription of the ribosomal protein genes and a protein export gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 1983;11:2599-616 pubmed..contains the genes for ten ribosomal proteins: L14, L24, L5, S14, S8, L6, L18, S5, L30 and L15 (rp1N, rp1X, rp1E, rpsN, rpsH, rp1F, rp1R, rpsE, rpmD, and rp1O). We now report the entire 5.9 kb nucleotide sequence of the spc operon...
- Nicholson A, Cooperman B. Photoaffinity labeling of Escherichia coli ribosomes with an aryl azide analogue of puromycin. FEBS Lett. 1978;90:203-8 pubmed
- Bischof O, Kruft V, Wittmann Liebold B. Analysis of the puromycin binding site in the 70 S ribosome of Escherichia coli at the peptide level. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:18315-9 pubmed..For the first time the molecular environment of an antibiotic in the procaryotic ribosome is presented at the peptide level. ..
- Wittmann Liebold B. Studies on the primary structure of 20 proteins from Escherichia coli ribosomes by means of an improved protein sequenator. FEBS Lett. 1973;36:247-9 pubmed
- Weitzmann C, Cooperman B. On the structural specificity of puromycin binding to Escherichia coli ribosomes. Biochemistry. 1985;24:2268-74 pubmed..They also force the conclusion that puromycin photoincorporation proceeds through its adenosyl moiety. ..
- Wiener L, Brimacombe R. Protein binding sites on Escherichia coli 16S RNA; RNA regions that are protected by proteins S7, S14 and S19 in the presence or absence of protein S9. Nucleic Acids Res. 1987;15:3653-70 pubmed..The results are discussed in terms of the three-dimensional folding of 16S RNA in the 30S subunit. ..
- Jaynes E, Grant P, Giangrande G, Wieder R, Cooperman B. Photoinduced affinity labeling of the Escherichia coli ribosome puromycin site. Biochemistry. 1978;17:561-9 pubmed..The detailed photochemical mechanism is not understood, although 8-alkylation of purine moiety has been excluded. Incorporation is largely inhibited in the presence of thiol reagents. ..
- Bischof O, Urlaub H, Kruft V, Wittmann Liebold B. Peptide environment of the peptidyl transferase center from Escherichia coli 70 S ribosomes as determined by thermoaffinity labeling with dihydrospiramycin. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:23060-4 pubmed..This approach is a valuable tool to characterize the binding site of spiramycin as well as the peptidyl transferase center at the molecular level. ..
- Ramakrishnan V, Graziano V, Capel M. A role for proteins S3 and S14 in the 30 S ribosomal subunit. J Biol Chem. 1986;261:15049-52 pubmed..Our results provide evidence that these two proteins are involved in assembly but may not be required once the 30 S subunit has been properly assembled. ..
- Held W, Mizushima S, Nomura M. Reconstitution of Escherichia coli 30 S ribosomal subunits from purified molecular components. J Biol Chem. 1973;248:5720-30 pubmed
- Kerlavage A, Cooperman B. Reconstitution of Escherichia coli ribosomes containing puromycin-modified S14: functional effects of the photoaffinity labeling of a protein essential for tRNA binding. Biochemistry. 1986;25:8002-10 pubmed..Suitable control experiments strongly indicate that this loss of activity is a direct consequence of puromycin photoincorporation. ..
- Cabezon T, Delcuve G, Faelen M, Desmet L, Bollen A. Polarity of amber mutations in ribosomal protein genes of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1980;141:41-51 pubmed..indicated that both mutations, 3162(Am) and 3161(Am), affect genes coding for ribosomal proteins: rplC (L3) and rpsN (S14), respectively...
- Adilakshmi T, Bellur D, Woodson S. Concurrent nucleation of 16S folding and induced fit in 30S ribosome assembly. Nature. 2008;455:1268-72 pubmed publisher..Although early steps in assembly are linked to intrinsically stable rRNA structure, later steps correspond to regions of induced fit between the proteins and the rRNA. ..