Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rpsM
Description: 30S ribosomal subunit protein S13
Alias: ECK3285, JW3260
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Bylund G, Persson B, Lundberg L, Wikström P. A novel ribosome-associated protein is important for efficient translation in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:4567-74 pubmed..that increased the growth rate and translational efficiency of a delta yfjA mutant were localized to the 3' part of rpsM, encoding ribosomal protein S13...
- Lambert J, Traut R. The subunit interface of the Escherichia coli ribosome. Identification of proteins at the interface between the 30 S and 50 S subunits by crosslinking with 2-iminothiolane. J Mol Biol. 1981;149:451-76 pubmed
- Meek D, Hayward R. Nucleotide sequence of the rpoA-rplQ DNA of Escherichia coli: a second regulatory binding site for protein S4?. Nucleic Acids Res. 1984;12:5813-21 pubmed..genes, mostly encoding ribosomal proteins (in order of transcription, and with their products named in brackets): rpsM (S13), rpsK (S11), rpsD (S4), rpoA (alpha-subunit of RNA polymerase), rplQ (L17)...
- Miura A, Krueger J, Itoh S, de Boer H, Nomura M. Growth-rate-dependent regulation of ribosome synthesis in E. coli: expression of the lacZ and galK genes fused to ribosomal promoters. Cell. 1981;25:773-82 pubmed
- Lindemann H, Wittmann Liebold B. Primary structure of protein S13 from the small subunit of escherichia coli ribosomes. Hoppe Seylers Z Physiol Chem. 1977;358:843-63 pubmed..The amino acid sequence of protein S13 was compared with the published sequences of the other ribosomal proteins of E. coli and predictions for the secondary structure of this protein were made. ..
- Adilakshmi T, Bellur D, Woodson S. Concurrent nucleation of 16S folding and induced fit in 30S ribosome assembly. Nature. 2008;455:1268-72 pubmed publisher..Although early steps in assembly are linked to intrinsically stable rRNA structure, later steps correspond to regions of induced fit between the proteins and the rRNA. ..
- Post L, Arfsten A, Davis G, Nomura M. DNA sequence of the promoter region for the alpha ribosomal protein operon in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1980;255:4653-59 pubmed..has now established that the S13 gene is a part of the alpha operon and the gene order is promoter (P alpha), rpsM (S13), rpsK (S11), rpsD(S4), rpoA(alpha), and rplQ(L17)...
- Hindennach I, Stoffler G, Wittmann H. Ribosomal proteins. Isolation of the proteins from 30S ribosomal subunits of Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 1971;23:7-11 pubmed
- Wittmann Liebold B. Studies on the primary structure of 20 proteins from Escherichia coli ribosomes by means of an improved protein sequenator. FEBS Lett. 1973;36:247-9 pubmed
- Bubunenko M, Baker T, Court D. Essentiality of ribosomal and transcription antitermination proteins analyzed by systematic gene replacement in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:2844-53 pubmed..Interestingly, although most 30S ribosomal proteins were essential, the knockouts of six ribosomal protein genes, rpsF (S6), rpsI (S9), rpsM (S13), rpsO (S15), rpsQ (S17), and rpsT (S20), were viable.
- Heilek G, Noller H. Directed hydroxyl radical probing of the rRNA neighborhood of ribosomal protein S13 using tethered Fe(II). RNA. 1996;2:597-602 pubmed..These results place both regions of 16S rRNA in proximity to position C84 of S13 in the three-dimensional structure of the 30S ribosomal subunit. ..
- Held W, Mizushima S, Nomura M. Reconstitution of Escherichia coli 30 S ribosomal subunits from purified molecular components. J Biol Chem. 1973;248:5720-30 pubmed
- Himeno H, Hanawa Suetsugu K, Kimura T, Takagi K, Sugiyama W, Shirata S, et al. A novel GTPase activated by the small subunit of ribosome. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:5303-9 pubmed..We also found that 17S RNA, a putative precursor of 16S rRNA, was contained in the small subunit of the ribosome from the RsgA-deletion strain. RsgA is a novel GTPase that might provide a new insight into the function of ribosome. ..
- Pohl T, Wittmann Liebold B. Identification of a cross-link in the Escherichia coli ribosomal protein pair S13-S19 at the amino acid level. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:4293-301 pubmed..This result demonstrates that, despite neutron scattering data which place the centers of mass of S13 and S19 85 A apart, at least these regions of the two proteins are located within a 4-A distance in the ribosomal particle. ..
- Schwarzbauer J, Craven G. Evidence that E. coli ribosomal protein S13 has two separable functional domains involved in 16S RNA recognition and protein S19 binding. Nucleic Acids Res. 1985;13:6767-86 pubmed..These data suggest that S13 has a C-terminal domain primarily responsible for RNA recognition and possibly that the N-terminal region is important for association with protein S19. ..
- Cukras A, Green R. Multiple effects of S13 in modulating the strength of intersubunit interactions in the ribosome during translation. J Mol Biol. 2005;349:47-59 pubmed..We have created and characterized an rpsM(S13)-deficient strain of Escherichia coli and have found significant defects in subunit association, initiation and ..
- Noller H, Hoang L, Fredrick K. The 30S ribosomal P site: a function of 16S rRNA. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:855-8 pubmed..Deletion of these tails now shows that the 16S rRNA contacts alone are sufficient to support protein synthesis in living cells. ..
- Dijk J, Littlechild J, Garrett R. The RNA binding properties of "native" protein-protein complexes isolated from the Escherichia coli ribosome. FEBS Lett. 1977;77:295-300 pubmed
- Cerretti D, Dean D, Davis G, Bedwell D, Nomura M. The spc ribosomal protein operon of Escherichia coli: sequence and cotranscription of the ribosomal protein genes and a protein export gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 1983;11:2599-616 pubmed
- Yoshida H, Maki Y, Kato H, Fujisawa H, Izutsu K, Wada C, et al. The ribosome modulation factor (RMF) binding site on the 100S ribosome of Escherichia coli. J Biochem. 2002;132:983-9 pubmed..We suggest that this conversion of 70S to 100S ribosomes represents a newly identified stage of the ribosomal cycle in stationary phase cells, and we have termed it the "Hibernation" stage. ..
- Powers T, Noller H. Hydroxyl radical footprinting of ribosomal proteins on 16S rRNA. RNA. 1995;1:194-209 pubmed..These results reinforce and extend previous data on the localization of ribosomal proteins with respect to structural features of 16S rRNA, and offer many new constraints for three-dimensional modeling of the 30S ribosomal subunit. ..
- Boileau G, Butler P, Hershey J, Traut R. Direct cross-links between initiation factors 1, 2, and 3 and ribosomal proteins promoted by 2-iminothiolane. Biochemistry. 1983;22:3162-70 pubmed..Cross-links between factors IF1-IF2 and IF3-IF2 were also identified. A model integrating these findings with others on the protein topography of the ribosome is presented. ..
- Bedwell D, Davis G, Gosink M, Post L, Nomura M, Kestler H, et al. Nucleotide sequence of the alpha ribosomal protein operon of Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Res. 1985;13:3891-903 pubmed..We report here the complete 3.0 kb nucleotide sequence of the alpha operon. In addition, we have determined by S1 nuclease mapping the site of transcription termination in this operon. ..
- Hoang L, Fredrick K, Noller H. Creating ribosomes with an all-RNA 30S subunit P site. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:12439-43 pubmed
- Lövgren J, Bylund G, Srivastava M, Lundberg L, Persson O, Wingsle G, et al. The PRC-barrel domain of the ribosome maturation protein RimM mediates binding to ribosomal protein S19 in the 30S ribosomal subunits. RNA. 2004;10:1798-812 pubmed..A mutation in rpsM, which encodes r-protein S13, suppressed the polysome deficiency of both rimM mutants...
- Osswald M, Doring T, Brimacombe R. The ribosomal neighbourhood of the central fold of tRNA: cross-links from position 47 of tRNA located at the A, P or E site. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:4635-41 pubmed..In most (but not all) cases, more precise localizations of the cross-link sites could be made by primer extension analysis. ..
- Faxén M, Walles Granberg A, Isaksson L. Antisuppression by a mutation in rpsM(S13) giving a shortened ribosomal protein S13. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1994;1218:27-34 pubmedThe phenotype associated with an rpsM(S13) mutation, originally isolated in Escherichia coli in a selection for pseudoreversion of streptomycin dependence, was studied in strains lacking the original mutations for antibiotic dependence...