Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rpsK
Description: 30S ribosomal subunit protein S11
Alias: ECK3284, JW3259
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Cerretti D, Dean D, Davis G, Bedwell D, Nomura M. The spc ribosomal protein operon of Escherichia coli: sequence and cotranscription of the ribosomal protein genes and a protein export gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 1983;11:2599-616 pubmed
- Hardy S, Kurland C, Voynow P, Mora G. The ribosomal proteins of Escherichia coli. I. Purification of the 30S ribosomal proteins. Biochemistry. 1969;8:2897-905 pubmed
- Bedwell D, Davis G, Gosink M, Post L, Nomura M, Kestler H, et al. Nucleotide sequence of the alpha ribosomal protein operon of Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Res. 1985;13:3891-903 pubmed..We report here the complete 3.0 kb nucleotide sequence of the alpha operon. In addition, we have determined by S1 nuclease mapping the site of transcription termination in this operon. ..
- Stern S, Powers T, Changchien L, Noller H. Interaction of ribosomal proteins S5, S6, S11, S12, S18 and S21 with 16 S rRNA. J Mol Biol. 1988;201:683-95 pubmed..Altogether these results show that many of the small subunit proteins, which have previously been shown to be functionally important, appear to be associated with functionally implicated segments of 16 S rRNA. ..
- Boileau G, Butler P, Hershey J, Traut R. Direct cross-links between initiation factors 1, 2, and 3 and ribosomal proteins promoted by 2-iminothiolane. Biochemistry. 1983;22:3162-70 pubmed..Cross-links between factors IF1-IF2 and IF3-IF2 were also identified. A model integrating these findings with others on the protein topography of the ribosome is presented. ..
- Meek D, Hayward R. Nucleotide sequence of the rpoA-rplQ DNA of Escherichia coli: a second regulatory binding site for protein S4?. Nucleic Acids Res. 1984;12:5813-21 pubmed..encoding ribosomal proteins (in order of transcription, and with their products named in brackets): rpsM (S13), rpsK (S11), rpsD (S4), rpoA (alpha-subunit of RNA polymerase), rplQ (L17)...
- MacKeen L, Kahan L, Wahba A, Schwartz I. Photochemical cross-linking of initiation factor-3 to Escherichia coli 30 S ribosomal subunits. J Biol Chem. 1980;255:10526-31 pubmed..The target proteins have been identified as S7, S11, S12, S18, and S21 by immunochemical techniques. ..
- Jaskunas S, Burgess R, Nomura M. Identification of a gene for the alpha-subunit of RNA polymerase at the str-spc region of the Escherichia coli chromosome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1975;72:5036-40 pubmed..7.7.6) has been identified and mapped between spcA and trkA, near 64 min on the E. coli chromosome. It appears to be coordinately expressed and possibly cotranscribed with the genes for ribosomal proteins S11, S4, and L17. ..
- Post L, Arfsten A, Davis G, Nomura M. DNA sequence of the promoter region for the alpha ribosomal protein operon in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1980;255:4653-59 pubmed..established that the S13 gene is a part of the alpha operon and the gene order is promoter (P alpha), rpsM (S13), rpsK (S11), rpsD(S4), rpoA(alpha), and rplQ(L17). The DNA sequence extending 650 bases before S13 gene was determined...
- Rosen K, Zimmerman R. Photoaffinity labeling of 30S-subunit proteins S7 and S11 by 4-thiouridine-substituted tRNA(Phe) situated at the P site of Escherichia coli ribosomes. RNA. 1997;3:1028-36 pubmed
- David C, Keener J, Aswad D. Isoaspartate in ribosomal protein S11 of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:2872-7 pubmed..The near stoichiometric levels of isoaspartate in S11, estimated at 0.5 mol of isoaspartate per mol of S11, suggests that this unusual modification may be important for S11 function. ..
- Hindennach I, Stoffler G, Wittmann H. Ribosomal proteins. Isolation of the proteins from 30S ribosomal subunits of Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 1971;23:7-11 pubmed
- Daigle D, Brown E. Studies of the interaction of Escherichia coli YjeQ with the ribosome in vitro. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:1381-7 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that the YjeQ protein participates in a guanine nucleotide-dependent interaction with the ribosome and implicate this conserved, essential GTPase as a novel factor in ribosome function. ..
- Himeno H, Hanawa Suetsugu K, Kimura T, Takagi K, Sugiyama W, Shirata S, et al. A novel GTPase activated by the small subunit of ribosome. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:5303-9 pubmed..We also found that 17S RNA, a putative precursor of 16S rRNA, was contained in the small subunit of the ribosome from the RsgA-deletion strain. RsgA is a novel GTPase that might provide a new insight into the function of ribosome. ..
- Chiaruttini C, Milet M, Hayes D, Expert Bezançon A. Crosslinking of ribosomal proteins S4, S5, S7, S8, S11, S12 and S18 to domains 1 and 2 of 16S rRNA in the Escherichia coli 30S particle. Biochimie. 1989;71:839-52 pubmed..These results are discussed in the light of current knowledge of the tertiary structure of 16S rRNA in the E. coli 30S ribosomal subunit. ..
- Noller H, Hoang L, Fredrick K. The 30S ribosomal P site: a function of 16S rRNA. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:855-8 pubmed..Deletion of these tails now shows that the 16S rRNA contacts alone are sufficient to support protein synthesis in living cells. ..