Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rpsF
Description: 30S ribosomal subunit protein S6
Alias: ECK4196, JW4158, sdgH
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Wittmann Liebold B. Studies on the primary structure of 20 proteins from Escherichia coli ribosomes by means of an improved protein sequenator. FEBS Lett. 1973;36:247-9 pubmed
- Noller H, Hoang L, Fredrick K. The 30S ribosomal P site: a function of 16S rRNA. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:855-8 pubmed..Deletion of these tails now shows that the 16S rRNA contacts alone are sufficient to support protein synthesis in living cells. ..
- Daigle D, Brown E. Studies of the interaction of Escherichia coli YjeQ with the ribosome in vitro. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:1381-7 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that the YjeQ protein participates in a guanine nucleotide-dependent interaction with the ribosome and implicate this conserved, essential GTPase as a novel factor in ribosome function. ..
- Bore E, Hebraud M, Chafsey I, Chambon C, Skjaeret C, Moen B, et al. Adapted tolerance to benzalkonium chloride in Escherichia coli K-12 studied by transcriptome and proteome analyses. Microbiology. 2007;153:935-46 pubmed..The results revealed that BC treatment might result in superoxide stress in E. coli. ..
- Held W, Mizushima S, Nomura M. Reconstitution of Escherichia coli 30 S ribosomal subunits from purified molecular components. J Biol Chem. 1973;248:5720-30 pubmed
- Baxter R, Ganoza M, Zahid N, Chung D. Reconstruction of peptidyltransferase activity on 50S and 70S ribosomal particles by peptide fragments of protein L16. Eur J Biochem. 1987;163:473-9 pubmed..Also, EF-P, a soluble protein which reconstructs the peptide-bond formation and transesterification reactions on 70S ribosomes, stimulated both peptidyltransferase activities exhibited by the L16 N-terminal peptide. ..
- Schnier J, Kitakawa M, Isono K. The nucleotide sequence of an Escherichia coli chromosomal region containing the genes for ribosomal proteins S6, S18, L9 and an open reading frame. Mol Gen Genet. 1986;204:126-32 pubmedThe DNA sequence of a cluster of genes for ribosomal proteins S6 (rpsF), S18 (rpsR) and L9 (rplI), and of their surrounding regions was determined. The order of the genes was established as promoter-rpsF-rpsR-rplI...
- Kang W, Icho T, Isono S, Kitakawa M, Isono K. Characterization of the gene rimK responsible for the addition of glutamic acid residues to the C-terminus of ribosomal protein S6 in Escherichia coli K12. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;217:281-8 pubmed..The first two residues are encoded by the structural gene for this protein (rpsF) and the rest are added post-translationally...
- Adilakshmi T, Bellur D, Woodson S. Concurrent nucleation of 16S folding and induced fit in 30S ribosome assembly. Nature. 2008;455:1268-72 pubmed publisher..Although early steps in assembly are linked to intrinsically stable rRNA structure, later steps correspond to regions of induced fit between the proteins and the rRNA. ..
- Hauser R, Ceol A, Rajagopala S, Mosca R, Siszler G, Wermke N, et al. A second-generation protein-protein interaction network of Helicobacter pylori. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2014;13:1318-29 pubmed publisher..coli of which one third turned out to be conserved in both species. ..
- Tang X, Yin Y, Ge M, Chen D. [Antisense RNA mediated gene silencing of nonessential gene rpsF in Escherichia coli]. Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao. 2014;54:449-54 pubmedWe explored the cause of cell growth inhibition by antisense RNA mediated nonessential gene silencing of rpsF gene in Escherichia coli...
- Bubunenko M, Baker T, Court D. Essentiality of ribosomal and transcription antitermination proteins analyzed by systematic gene replacement in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:2844-53 pubmed..Interestingly, although most 30S ribosomal proteins were essential, the knockouts of six ribosomal protein genes, rpsF (S6), rpsI (S9), rpsM (S13), rpsO (S15), rpsQ (S17), and rpsT (S20), were viable.
- Robertson E, Aggison L, Nicholson A. Phosphorylation of elongation factor G and ribosomal protein S6 in bacteriophage T7-infected Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1994;11:1045-57 pubmed..Finally, several experimental variables are analysed which influence the production and pattern of phosphorylated proteins in both uninfected and T7-infected cells. ..
- Greenberg J, Monach P, Chou J, Josephy P, Demple B. Positive control of a global antioxidant defense regulon activated by superoxide-generating agents in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:6181-5 pubmed..These latter changes confer resistance to a variety of antibiotics. The soxR regulon may thus operate as an inducible defense against xenobiotics in general. ..
- Allen G, Kornberg A. The priB gene encoding the primosomal replication n protein of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:11610-3 pubmedThe gene encoding protein n of the Escherichia coli primosome has been discovered in the rpsF-rpsR-rplI ribosomal protein operon and designated priB...
- Isono K, Krauss J, Hirota Y. Isolation and characterization of temperature-sensitive mutants of Escherichia coli with altered ribosomal proteins. Mol Gen Genet. 1976;149:297-302 pubmed..The importance of these mutants for structural and functional analyses of ribosomes is discussed. ..
- Reeh S, Pedersen S. Post-translational modification of Escherichia coli ribosomal protein S6. Mol Gen Genet. 1979;173:183-7 pubmed..We show that the relative levels of these three S6 forms are not affected by the growth rate of the culture. ..
- Isono K, Kitakawa M. A new ribosomal protein locus in Escherichia coli: the gene for protein S6 maps at 97 min. Mol Gen Genet. 1977;153:115-20 pubmed..Thus it was established that the gene at 97 min was indeed the structural gene for protein S6 (rpsF) and not a gene modifying it.