Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rplT
Description: 50S ribosomal subunit protein L20
Alias: ECK1714, JW1706, pdzA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Wu T, Wood D, Stein P, Comer M. Transcription of a gene cluster coding for two aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases and an initiation factor in Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1984;173:177-209 pubmed..It is suggested that one of the terminators is an attenuation site controlling the extension of transcription into pheS and pheT. Attenuation may explain the observed regulation of phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase by the amino acid supply. ..
- Marquardt O, Roth H, Wystup G, Nierhaus K. Binding of Escherichia coli ribosomal proteins to 23S RNA under reconstitution conditions for the 50S subunit. Nucleic Acids Res. 1979;6:3641-50 pubmed..5) All proteins bound equally well to 23S RNA in presence of 4 and 20 mM Mg2+, respectively, except L2, L3, L4, L7/L12, L9, L10, L15, L16 and L18, which bound less strongly at 20 mM than at 4 mM Mg2+. ..
- Allemand F, Haentjens J, Chiaruttini C, Royer C, Springer M. Escherichia coli ribosomal protein L20 binds as a single monomer to its own mRNA bearing two potential binding sites. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:3016-31 pubmed..The two interacting sites could form a single hybrid site or the binding of L20 to a first site may inhibit binding to the second. Models of regulation compatible with our data are discussed. ..
- Hoving S, Munchbach M, Schmid H, Signor L, Lehmann A, Staudenmann W, et al. A method for the chemical generation of N-terminal peptide sequence tags for rapid protein identification. Anal Chem. 2000;72:1006-14 pubmed..We show that chemical tagging is a viable first-pass high-throughput identification method to be used prior to an in depth MS/MS analysis. ..
- Olsson C, Graffe M, Springer M, Hershey J. Physiological effects of translation initiation factor IF3 and ribosomal protein L20 limitation in Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1996;250:705-14 pubmed..Lysogenic strains were constructed with recombinant lambda phages that express either rpmI and rplT or infC and prmI in trans, thereby allowing depletion of only IF3 or L20 at low IPTG concentrations...
- Fayat G, Mayaux J, Sacerdot C, Fromant M, Springer M, Grunberg Manago M, et al. Escherichia coli phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase operon region. Evidence for an attenuation mechanism. Identification of the gene for the ribosomal protein L20. J Mol Biol. 1983;171:239-61 pubmed..Upstream from pheS the sequence shows another open reading frame of 354 nucleotides (rplT), which accounts for a protein of Mr 13,400...
- Walleczek J, Redl B, Stoffler Meilicke M, Stoffler G. Protein-protein cross-linking of the 50 S ribosomal subunit of Escherichia coli using 2-iminothiolane. Identification of cross-links by immunoblotting techniques. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:4231-7 pubmed
- Franceschi F, Nierhaus K. Ribosomal protein L20 can replace the assembly-initiator protein L24 at low temperatures. Biochemistry. 1988;27:7056-9 pubmed..We demonstrate in a series of reconstitution experiments with purified proteins that the two initiator proteins are L20 and L3. Thus, L20 can replace L24 for the initiation of assembly at permissive temperatures. ..
- Kazemie M. Binding of aminoacyl-tRNA to reconstituted subparticles of Escherichia coli large ribosomal subunits. Eur J Biochem. 1976;67:373-8 pubmed..Besides 5-S RNA, protein L24 has a stimulatory effect on the binding of aminoacyl-tRNA. Proteins L2, L20 and L23 are possibly required for maintaining the 50-S subunits in the correct conformation for binding of aminoacyl-tRNAs. ..
- Chiaruttini C, Milet M, Springer M. Translational coupling by modulation of feedback repression in the IF3 operon of Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:9208-13 pubmed..The result is a novel type of translational coupling, where unfolding of the pseudoknot by ribosomes translating IF3 does not increase expression of L35 directly, but alleviates its repression by L20. ..
- Wertheimer S, Klotsky R, Schwartz I. Transcriptional patterns for the thrS-infC-rplT operon of Escherichia coli. Gene. 1988;63:309-20 pubmed..genes coding for threonyl-tRNA synthetase (thrS), translation initiation factor 3 (infC) and ribosomal protein L20 (rplT) are clustered in the Escherichia coli genome...
- Walleczek J, Martin T, Redl B, Stoffler Meilicke M, Stoffler G. Comparative cross-linking study on the 50S ribosomal subunit from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1989;28:4099-105 pubmed..Incorporation of our cross-linking results into the three-dimensional model of the 50S ribosomal subunit derived from immunoelectron microscopy yields the locations for 29 of the 33 proteins within the larger ribosomal subunit. ..
- Lesage P, Truong H, Graffe M, Dondon J, Springer M. Translated translational operator in Escherichia coli. Auto-regulation in the infC-rpmI-rplT operon. J Mol Biol. 1990;213:465-75 pubmedThe genes coding for translation initiation factor IF3 (infC) and for the ribosomal proteins L35 (rpmI) and L20 (rplT) are transcribed in that order from a promoter in front of infC...
- Nowotny V, Nierhaus K. Protein L20 from the large subunit of Escherichia coli ribosomes is an assembly protein. J Mol Biol. 1980;137:391-9 pubmed
- Springer M, Mayaux J, Fayat G, Plumbridge J, Graffe M, Blanquet S, et al. Attenuation control of the Escherichia coli phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase operon. J Mol Biol. 1985;181:467-78 pubmed..It is also shown that about 30% of the transcripts covering the pheST operon come from the upstream gene, rplT, which codes for the ribosomal protein L20...
- Redl B, Walleczek J, Stoffler Meilicke M, Stoffler G. Immunoblotting analysis of protein-protein crosslinks within the 50S ribosomal subunit of Escherichia coli. A study using dimethylsuberimidate as crosslinking reagent. Eur J Biochem. 1989;181:351-6 pubmed..We can now propose the approximate locations of ten proteins that have not previously been localized. ..
- Wittmann Liebold B, Seib C. The primary structure of protein L20 from the large subunit of the Escherichia coli ribosome. FEBS Lett. 1979;103:61-5 pubmed
- Tumminia S, Hellmann W, Wall J, Boublik M. Visualization of protein-nucleic acid interactions involved in the in vitro assembly of the Escherichia coli 50 S ribosomal subunit. J Mol Biol. 1994;235:1239-50 pubmed..These mass centers merge into one central body, which is gradually enhanced and decorated with structural elements characteristic of the 50 S subunit in the latter stages of assembly. ..
- Chiaruttini C, Milet M, de Smit M, Springer M. Translational coupling in the Escherichia coli operon encoding translation initiation factor IF3 and ribosomal proteins L20 and L35. Biochimie. 1996;78:555-67 pubmed..In vitro 'toeprinting' analysis enabled us to show that the wild-type inhibitory secondary structure directly blocks ribosome binding to the ribosome binding site of rpIT. ..