Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rplL
Description: 50S ribosomal subunit protein L7/L12
Alias: ECK3977, JW3949
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Zhao Q, Ofverstedt L, Skoglund U, Isaksson L. Morphological variation of individual Escherichia coli 50S ribosomal subunits in situ, as revealed by cryo-electron tomography. Exp Cell Res. 2004;300:190-201 pubmed..In addition, gross morphological heterogeneity was observed in the reconstructions. Our results demonstrate a considerable structural variability among individual 50S subunits in the intracellular environment. ..
- Bocharov E, Gudkov A, Budovskaya E, Arseniev A. Conformational independence of N- and C-domains in ribosomal protein L7/L12 and in the complex with protein L10. FEBS Lett. 1998;423:347-50 pubmed..Conformational motions on a millisecond time scale are detected in the (L7)4L10 complex. The possible relevance of these motions to the biological function of L7/L12 is discussed. ..
- Mulder F, Bouakaz L, Lundell A, Venkataramana M, Liljas A, Akke M, et al. Conformation and dynamics of ribosomal stalk protein L12 in solution and on the ribosome. Biochemistry. 2004;43:5930-6 pubmed..These results indicate that two CTDs with identical average structures are mobile and extend away from the ribosome, while the other two copies most likely interact tightly with the ribosome even in the absence of translational factors. ..
- Christodoulou J, Larsson G, Fucini P, Connell S, Pertinhez T, Hanson C, et al. Heteronuclear NMR investigations of dynamic regions of intact Escherichia coli ribosomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:10949-54 pubmed
- Osterberg R, Sjoberg B, Pettersson I, Liljas A, Kurland C. Small-angle x-ray scattering study of the protein complex of L7/L12 and L10 from Escherichia coli ribosomes. FEBS Lett. 1977;73:22-4 pubmed
- Moller W, Schrier P, Maassen J, Zantema A, Schop E, Reinalda H, et al. Ribosomal proteins L7/L12 of Escherichia coli. Localization and possible molecular mechanism in translation. J Mol Biol. 1983;163:553-73 pubmed..Binding of L7/L12 dimer in one site gives rise to formation of the L7/L12 stalk, whereas binding in the other site has no effect on the number of visible stalks. ..
- Zhao Q, Nagaswamy U, Lee H, Xia Y, Huang H, Gao X, et al. NMR structure and Mg2+ binding of an RNA segment that underlies the L7/L12 stalk in the E.coli 50S ribosomal subunit. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:3145-53 pubmed..A cross-strand bridging Mg2+ coordination has also been found in a different sequence context in the crystal structure of H.marismortui 23S rRNA, and therefore it may be a rare but general motif in Mg2+ coordination. ..
- Steward K, Linn T. In vivo analysis of overlapping transcription units in the rplKAJLrpoBC ribosomal protein-RNA polymerase gene cluster of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1991;218:23-31 pubmed..This suggests that although both transcription units overlap, transcriptional termination at rpoBa is modulated in response to the frequency of initiation from both promoters. ..
- Miao L, Fang H, Li Y, Chen H. Studies of the in vitro Nalpha-acetyltransferase activities of E. coli RimL protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;357:641-7 pubmed..Furthermore, when the second N-terminal residue isoleucine was replaced by aspartic acid, the mutant L12I2D was also acetylated by RimL but under a much lower rate. ..
- Post L, Strycharz G, Nomura M, Lewis H, Dennis P. Nucleotide sequence of the ribosomal protein gene cluster adjacent to the gene for RNA polymerase subunit beta in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1979;76:1697-701 pubmed..The sequence covers the genes for ribosomal proteins L11 (rplK), LI (rplA), L10 (rplJ), and L7/L12 ((rplL), and the 5' end of the gene for the beta subunit of RNA polymerase (rpoB), along with the presumed regulatory ..
- Savelsbergh A, Mohr D, Wilden B, Wintermeyer W, Rodnina M. Stimulation of the GTPase activity of translation elongation factor G by ribosomal protein L7/12. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:890-4 pubmed..L7/12 appears to function by stabilizing the GTPase transition state of EF-G. ..
- Makarov E, Oleinikov A, Zecherle G, Traut R. Zero-length cross-linking of the C-terminal domain of Escherichia coli ribosomal protein L7/L12 to L10 in the ribosome and in the (L7/L12)4-L10 pentameric complex. Biochimie. 1993;75:963-9 pubmed..The L7/L12Cys89-L10Cys70 cross-link in the pentameric L8 complex implies that the protein can exist in this bent conformation there as well as in the ribosome. ..
- Linn T, Goman M, Scaife J. Lambda transducing bacteriophage carrying deletions of the argCBH-rpoBC region of the Escherichia coli chromosome. J Bacteriol. 1979;140:479-89 pubmed..We thus extend and confirm knowledge of the organization of this part of the chromosome. The new phages are useful tools for studying the genes for the bacterial transcription and translation machinery. ..
- Hoving S, Munchbach M, Schmid H, Signor L, Lehmann A, Staudenmann W, et al. A method for the chemical generation of N-terminal peptide sequence tags for rapid protein identification. Anal Chem. 2000;72:1006-14 pubmed..We show that chemical tagging is a viable first-pass high-throughput identification method to be used prior to an in depth MS/MS analysis. ..
- Gordiyenko Y, Deroo S, Zhou M, Videler H, Robinson C. Acetylation of L12 increases interactions in the Escherichia coli ribosomal stalk complex. J Mol Biol. 2008;380:404-14 pubmed publisher..5 MDa particle. ..
- Liu X, Reilly J. Correlating the chemical modification of Escherichia coli ribosomal proteins with crystal structure data. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:4466-78 pubmed publisher..L12 is largely monomethylated but only a small portion of L7 is so modified. ..
- Little R, Fiil N, Dennis P. Transcriptional and post-transcriptional control of ribosomal protein and ribonucleic acid polymerase genes. J Bacteriol. 1981;147:25-35 pubmed..Furthermore, the observed reduction in the translation efficiency of beta subunit messenger RNA may be related to an inhibitory effect caused by accumulation of RNA polymerase assembly intermediates. ..
- Wittmann Liebold B. Studies on the primary structure of 20 proteins from Escherichia coli ribosomes by means of an improved protein sequenator. FEBS Lett. 1973;36:247-9 pubmed
- Stoffler G, Hasenbank R, Bodley J, Highland J. Letter: Inhibition of protein L7-L12 binding to 50 S ribosomal cores by antibodies specific for proteins L6, L10 and L18. J Mol Biol. 1974;86:171-4 pubmed
- Pellegrini M, Marcotte E, Thompson M, Eisenberg D, Yeates T. Assigning protein functions by comparative genome analysis: protein phylogenetic profiles. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:4285-8 pubmed..We show that proteins having matching or similar profiles strongly tend to be functionally linked. This method of phylogenetic profiling allows us to predict the function of uncharacterized proteins. ..
- Traut R, Dey D, Bochkariov D, Oleinikov A, Jokhadze G, Hamman B, et al. Location and domain structure of Escherichia coli ribosomal protein L7/L12: site specific cysteine crosslinking and attachment of fluorescent probes. Biochem Cell Biol. 1995;73:949-58 pubmed..Binding to the ribosome and, therefore, function were blocked by zero-length cross-linking within the NTD, but not the CTD. Binding also disrupted rhodamine dimers in the NTD. No rhodamine dimers formed in the CTD. ..
- Brot N, Weissbach H. Chemistry and biology of E. coli ribosomal protein L12. Mol Cell Biochem. 1981;36:47-63 pubmed..Autogenous regulation, translational control, and transcription attenuation are regulatory mechanisms that function to control the synthesis of these proteins. ..
- Barry G, Squires C, Squires C. Control features within the rplJL-rpoBC transcription unit of Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1979;76:4922-6 pubmed..An element that reduces the level of distal gene expression to one-sixth is located on a fragment which spans the rplL-rpoB intercistronic region. This strongly supports the idea that there is an attenuator in this region...
- Klagsbrun M, Furano A. Methylated amino acids in the proteins of bacterial and mammalian cells. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1975;169:529-39 pubmed
- Ralling G, Linn T. Relative activities of the transcriptional regulatory sites in the rplKAJLrpoBC gene cluster of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1984;158:279-85 pubmed..The minor promoter before rplL (rplLp) is much weaker and contributes little to the transcription of the downstream genes...
- An G, Friesen J. Characterization of promoter-cloning plasmids: analysis of operon structure in the rif region of Escherichia coli and isolation of an enhanced internal promoter mutant. J Bacteriol. 1980;144:904-16 pubmed..used to isolate nine variants having mutations that lie in a putative internal promoter which is located between rplL and rpoB...
- Shcherbakov D, Dontsova M, Tribus M, Garber M, Piendl W. Stability of the 'L12 stalk' in ribosomes from mesophilic and (hyper)thermophilic Archaea and Bacteria. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:5800-14 pubmed..A cooperative effect of binding to 23S rRNA of protein L11 and the L10/L12(4) complex from mesophilic and thermophilic Archaea was shown to be temperature-dependent. ..
- Newman A, Hayward R. Cloning of DNA of the rpoBC operon from the chromosome of Escherichia coli K12. Mol Gen Genet. 1980;177:527-33 pubmed..coli K12 chromosomal DNA carrying the genes rpoBC (encoding the beta and beta' subunits of RNA polymerase) and rplL (coding for ribosomal proteins L7/L12) was cloned in a lambda vector, and the resulting phage tested for gene ..
- Highland J, Bodley J, Gordon J, Hasenbank R, Stoffler G. Identity of the ribosomal proteins involved in the interaction with elongation factor G. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1973;70:147-50 pubmed..The present data are consistent with the view that the interaction between ribosomes and EF-G that results in GTP hydrolysis occurs on, and is limited to, proteins L7 and L12 on the surface of the 50S ribosomal subunit. ..
- Carlson M, Haddad B, Weis A, Blackwood C, Shelton C, Wuerth M, et al. Ribosomal protein L7/L12 is required for GTPase translation factors EF-G, RF3, and IF2 to bind in their GTP state to 70S ribosomes. FEBS J. 2017;284:1631-1643 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we hypothesize this interaction is concomitant with counterclockwise ribosomal intersubunit rotation, which is required for translocation, initiation, and post-termination. ..
- Nechifor R, Murataliev M, Wilson K. Functional interactions between the G' subdomain of bacterial translation factor EF-G and ribosomal protein L7/L12. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:36998-7005 pubmed..Together, these results provide evidence for functionally important interactions between helix AG' of EF-G and L7/L12 of the ribosome. ..
- Hamman B, Oleinikov A, Jokhadze G, Bochkariov D, Traut R, Jameson D. Tetramethylrhodamine dimer formation as a spectroscopic probe of the conformation of Escherichia coli ribosomal protein L7/L12 dimers. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:7568-73 pubmed..This result implies a conformational change in the N-terminal domain of L7/L12 upon its binding to the ribosome, or to L10. ..
- Bowen W, Van Dyke N, Murgola E, Lodmell J, Hill W. Interaction of thiostrepton and elongation factor-G with the ribosomal protein L11-binding domain. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:2934-43 pubmed..The implications for recent models of thiostrepton activity and factor interactions are discussed. ..
- Terhorst C, Moller W, Laursen R, Wittmann Liebold B. The primary structure of an acidic protein from 50-S ribosomes of Escherichia coli which is involved in GTP hydrolysis dependent on elongation factors G and T. Eur J Biochem. 1973;34:138-52 pubmed
- Barry G, Squires C, Squires C. Attenuation and processing of RNA from the rplJL--rpoBC transcription unit of Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1980;77:3331-5 pubmed..These hybrids were formed between RNA produced in vivo and specific DNA restriction fragments which span the rplL--rpoB intercistronic region...
- Azam T, Hiraga S, Ishihama A. Two types of localization of the DNA-binding proteins within the Escherichia coli nucleoid. Genes Cells. 2000;5:613-26 pubmed..coli could be classified into two groups. One group proteins was distributed uniformly within the nucleoid, but the other group of proteins showed an irregular distribution, forming immuno-stained spots or clumps. ..
- Ma J, Newman A, Hayward R. Internal promoters of the rpoBC operon of Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1981;184:548-50 pubmedFour ribosomal protein genes, rplA, rplJ, rplK and rplL form an operon in E. coli together with the genes rpoB and rpoC which encode the beta and beta' subunits of RNA polymerase...
- Highland J, Ochsner E, Gordon J, Bodley J, Hasenbank R, Stoffler G. Coordinate inhibition of elongation factor G function and ribosomal subunit association by antibodies to several ribosomal proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1974;71:627-30 pubmed
- Holowachuk E, Friesen J, Fiil N. Bacteriophage lambda vehicle for the direct cloning of Escherichia coli promoter DNA sequences: feedback regulation of the rplJL-rpoBC operon. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1980;77:2124-8 pubmed..This suggests that P beta is a bona fide promoter for rpoBC. ..
- Bruckner R, Matzura H. In vivo synthesis of a polycistronic messenger RNA for the ribosomal proteins L11, L1, L10 and L7/12 in Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1981;183:277-82 pubmed..Smaller distinct mRNA species could also be detected by this technique. They originate from intercistronic transcription termination and re-initiation as well as from processing of the larger polycistronic mRNA. ..
- Miyoshi T, Nomura T, Uchiumi T. Engineering and characterization of the ribosomal L10.L12 stalk complex. A structural element responsible for high turnover of the elongation factor G-dependent GTPase. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:85-92 pubmed publisher..Further analyses with other chimeric L12 proteins identified helix alpha6 as the region most likely to contain the responsible element. ..
- Isono S, Isono K. Ribosomal protein modification in Escherichia coli. III. Studies of mutants lacking an acetylase activity specific for protein L12. Mol Gen Genet. 1981;183:473-7 pubmed..These results indicated that the three mutants contain mutations in the gene rimL codes for an acetylating enzyme specific for ribosomal protein L12. ..
- Kassai Jáger E, Ortutay C, Toth G, Vellai T, Gáspári Z. Distribution and evolution of short tandem repeats in closely related bacterial genomes. Gene. 2008;410:18-25 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that microsatellites, although considerably less abundant than in eukaryotic genomes, may nevertheless play an important role in the evolution of prokaryotic genomes and several gene families. ..
- Ederth J, Mandava C, Dasgupta S, Sanyal S. A single-step method for purification of active His-tagged ribosomes from a genetically engineered Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:e15 pubmed publisher..an in-frame fusion of a nucleotide sequence encoding a hexa-histidine affinity tag at the 3'-end of the single copy rplL gene (encoding the ribosomal protein L12) at the chromosomal site of the wild-type strain MG1655...
- Downing W, Dennis P. Transcription products from the rplKAJL-rpoBC gene cluster. J Mol Biol. 1987;194:609-20 pubmed..These results indicate that the two major promoters, PL11 and PL10, are both utilized to drive the interrelated transcriptional expression of this ribosomal protein-RNA polymerase gene cluster. ..
- Chu F, Caldwell P, Samuels M, Weissbach H, Brot N. DNA-dependent in vitro synthesis of Escherichia coli ribosomal protein L10 and the formation of an L10L12 complex. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1976;76:593-601 pubmed
- Zhang S, Ryden Aulin M, Kirsebom L, Isaksson L. Genetic implication for an interaction between release factor one and ribosomal protein L7/L12 in vivo. J Mol Biol. 1994;242:614-8 pubmedStrains with mutant alleles of the genes encoding release factor one (RF1), prfA, and ribosomal protein L7/L12, rplL, have been analyzed...
- Savelsbergh A, Mohr D, Kothe U, Wintermeyer W, Rodnina M. Control of phosphate release from elongation factor G by ribosomal protein L7/12. EMBO J. 2005;24:4316-23 pubmed
- Hui I, Maltman K, Little R, Hastrup S, Johnsen M, Fiil N, et al. Insertions of transposon Tn5 into ribosomal protein PNA polymerase operons. J Bacteriol. 1982;152:1022-32 pubmed..organization of these genes into two transcription units as follows: PL11, rplK (L11), rplA (L1), PL10, rplJ (L10), rplL (L12), rpoB (beta). . ...
- Gudkov A, Tumanova L, Venyaminov S, Khechinashvilli N. Stoichiometry and properties of the complex between ribosomal proteins L7 and L10 in solution. FEBS Lett. 1978;93:215-8 pubmed