Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rodZ
Description: MreB assembly cytoskeletal protein
Alias: ECK2512, JW2500, yfgA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Wang S, Yang C, Shan S. SecA mediates cotranslational targeting and translocation of an inner membrane protein. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:3639-3653 pubmed publisher..In this study, we show that SecA cotranslationally recognizes the nascent chain of an inner membrane protein, RodZ, with high affinity and specificity...
- Porter T, Frederick D, Johnson E, Jones P. A requirement for cell elongation protein RodZ and cell division proteins FtsN and DedD to maintain the small rod morphology of Escherichia coli at growth temperatures near 8°C. J Gen Appl Microbiol. 2016;62:189-98 pubmed publisher..In contrast to cell division protein DedD, RodZ is a cell elongation protein particularly required for growth at 30°C...
- Morgenstein R, Bratton B, Nguyen J, Ouzounov N, Shaevitz J, Gitai Z. RodZ links MreB to cell wall synthesis to mediate MreB rotation and robust morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:12510-5 pubmed publisher..Here we demonstrate that the transmembrane protein RodZ mediates MreB rotation by directly or indirectly coupling MreB to cell wall synthesis enzymes...
- Niba E, Naka Y, Nagase M, Mori H, Kitakawa M. A genome-wide approach to identify the genes involved in biofilm formation in E. coli. DNA Res. 2007;14:237-46 pubmed publisher..Characterization of the nine mutants of function-unknown genes indicated that some of them, such as yfgA that genetically interacts with a periplasmic chaperone gene surA together with yciB and yciM, might be required ..
- Kurono N, Matsuda A, Etchuya R, Sobue R, Sasaki Y, Ito M, et al. Genome-wide screening of Escherichia coli genes involved in execution and promotion of cell-to-cell transfer of non-conjugative plasmids: rodZ (yfgA) is essential for plasmid acceptance in recipient cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;421:119-23 pubmed publisher..The other essential gene was rodZ (yfgA), a gene involved in the regulation of rod-shaped structure of E. coli cells...
- Altincicek B, Kollas A, Sanderbrand S, Wiesner J, Hintz M, Beck E, et al. GcpE is involved in the 2-C-methyl-D-erythritol 4-phosphate pathway of isoprenoid biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:2411-6 pubmed..These cells were then deleted for the essential gcpE gene and were viable only if the medium was supplemented with mevalonate or the cells were complemented with an episomal copy of gcpE. ..
- Baker J, Parker J. Sequence and characterization of the Escherichia coli genome between the ndk and gcpE genes. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1994;121:293-6 pubmed..A., Yanai, S., and Yamada, M. (1994) Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 58, 117-120) indicate that orf 337 is in an operon with gcpE. The gene orf 384 is immediately downstream of the gene ndk, which encodes nucleoside diphosphate kinase. ..
- Shiomi D, Niki H. A mutation in the promoter region of zipA, a component of the divisome, suppresses the shape defect of RodZ-deficient cells. Microbiologyopen. 2013;2:798-810 pubmed publisherb>RodZ is important for maintaining the rod shape of Escherichia coli. Loss of RodZ causes conversion of the rod shape to a round shape and a growth rate slower than that of wild-type cells...
- Jovanovic G, Mehta P, Ying L, Buck M. Anionic lipids and the cytoskeletal proteins MreB and RodZ define the spatio-temporal distribution and function of membrane stress controller PspA in Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 2014;160:2374-86 pubmed publisher..effector(s) in lateral membrane regions depend on the actin homologue MreB and the peptidoglycan machinery protein RodZ. The consequences of loss of cytoplasmic membrane anionic lipids, MreB, RodZ and/or YqiK suggest that the mode of ..
- Newitt J, Ulbrandt N, Bernstein H. The structure of multiple polypeptide domains determines the signal recognition particle targeting requirement of Escherichia coli inner membrane proteins. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:4561-7 pubmed
- Govindarajan S, Amster Choder O. The bacterial Sec system is required for the organization and function of the MreB cytoskeleton. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007017 pubmed publisher..Thus, when we reroute RodZ, MreB membrane-anchor, by fusing it to a SecA-independent integral membrane protein and overproducing it, MreB ..