Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rnc
Description: RNase III
Alias: ECK2565, JW2551, ranA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Pertzev A, Nicholson A. Characterization of RNA sequence determinants and antideterminants of processing reactivity for a minimal substrate of Escherichia coli ribonuclease III. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:3708-21 pubmed..The base pair sequence control of reactivity is discussed within the context of new structural information on a post-catalytic complex of a bacterial RNase III bound to the cleaved minimal substrate. ..
- Robertson H. Escherichia coli ribonuclease III. Methods Enzymol. 1990;181:189-202 pubmed
- Conrad C, Schmitt J, Evguenieva Hackenberg E, Klug G. One functional subunit is sufficient for catalytic activity and substrate specificity of Escherichia coli endoribonuclease III artificial heterodimers. FEBS Lett. 2002;518:93-6 pubmed..Our results show that one functional active site is sufficient for cleavage activity of the heterodimer. ..
- Nashimoto H, Uchida H. DNA sequencing of the Escherichia coli ribonuclease III gene and its mutations. Mol Gen Genet. 1985;201:25-9 pubmedA 0.7 kb DNA fragment of the Escherichia coli K12 chromosome was shown to contain the structural gene for RNAse III (rnc)...
- Robertson H, Webster R, Zinder N. Purification and properties of ribonuclease III from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1968;243:82-91 pubmed
- Calin Jageman I, Nicholson A. Mutational analysis of an RNA internal loop as a reactivity epitope for Escherichia coli ribonuclease III substrates. Biochemistry. 2003;42:5025-34 pubmed..The implications of these findings are discussed in light of RNase III substrate function as a gene regulatory element. ..
- Santos J, Drider D, Marujo P, Lopez P, Arraiano C. Determinant role of E. coli RNase III in the decay of both specific and heterologous mRNAs. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1997;157:31-8 pubmed..Since RNase III, unlike RNase E, is not essential for bacterial viability we think that there is potential for using RNase III mutant strains to modulate gene expression. ..
- Urban J, Vogel J. Translational control and target recognition by Escherichia coli small RNAs in vivo. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:1018-37 pubmed..We expect our GFP fusion approach to be applicable to sRNA targets of other bacteria, and also demonstrate that Vibrio RyhB sRNA represses a Vibrio sodB fusion when co-expressed in E.coli. ..
- Amarasinghe A, Calin Jageman I, Harmouch A, Sun W, Nicholson A. Escherichia coli ribonuclease III: affinity purification of hexahistidine-tagged enzyme and assays for substrate binding and cleavage. Methods Enzymol. 2001;342:143-58 pubmed
- Afonyushkin T, Vecerek B, Moll I, Blasi U, Kaberdin V. Both RNase E and RNase III control the stability of sodB mRNA upon translational inhibition by the small regulatory RNA RyhB. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:1678-89 pubmed..These data are discussed in terms of a model, which accounts for the observed roles of RNase E and RNase III in sodB mRNA turnover. ..
- Regnier P, Grunberg Manago M. Cleavage by RNase III in the transcripts of the met Y-nus-A-infB operon of Escherichia coli releases the tRNA and initiates the decay of the downstream mRNA. J Mol Biol. 1989;210:293-302 pubmed
- Sirdeshmukh R, Schlessinger D. Ordered processing of Escherichia coli 23S rRNA in vitro. Nucleic Acids Res. 1985;13:5041-54 pubmed
- Regnier P, Portier C. Initiation, attenuation and RNase III processing of transcripts from the Escherichia coli operon encoding ribosomal protein S15 and polynucleotide phosphorylase. J Mol Biol. 1986;187:23-32 pubmed..The possible roles of mRNA processing events in the expression of rpsO-pnp operon are discussed. ..
- Portier C, Dondon L, Grunberg Manago M, Regnier P. The first step in the functional inactivation of the Escherichia coli polynucleotide phosphorylase messenger is a ribonuclease III processing at the 5' end. EMBO J. 1987;6:2165-70 pubmed..A similar function for ribonuclease III in the processing of the messenger for the beta beta' subunits of RNA polymerase is proposed. ..
- Robertson H, Dunn J. Ribonucleic acid processing activity of Escherichia coli ribonuclease III. J Biol Chem. 1975;250:3050-6 pubmed..These results and previous findings allow us to specify the probably size and structure of potential cleavage sites for these enzymes in biological RNA molecules. ..
- Chelladurai B, Li H, Zhang K, Nicholson A. Mutational analysis of a ribonuclease III processing signal. Biochemistry. 1993;32:7549-58 pubmed..1 RNA with RNase III is unstable during nondenaturing gel electrophoresis. Thus, a functional role of the T7 R1.1 internal loop is to enforce single enzymatic cleavage, which occurs at the expense of RNase III binding affinity. ..
- Lamontagne B, Elela S. Evaluation of the RNA determinants for bacterial and yeast RNase III binding and cleavage. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:2231-41 pubmed..These observations suggest that yeast RNase IIIs have two recognition mechanisms, one that uses specific structural features and another that recognizes general features of the A-form RNA helix. ..
- Takiff H, Chen S, Court D. Genetic analysis of the rnc operon of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:2581-90 pubmed..Clones of the region of the E. coli chromosome containing the gene for RNase III (rnc) were obtained by screening genomic libraries in lambda with DNA known to map near rnc...
- Campbell F, Cassano A, Anderson V, Harris M. Pre-steady-state and stopped-flow fluorescence analysis of Escherichia coli ribonuclease III: insights into mechanism and conformational changes associated with binding and catalysis. J Mol Biol. 2002;317:21-40 pubmed
- Bram R, Young R, Steitz J. The ribonuclease III site flanking 23S sequences in the 30S ribosomal precursor RNA of E. coli. Cell. 1980;19:393-401 pubmed
- Davidov Y, Rahat A, Flechner I, Pines O. Characterization of the rnc-97 mutation of RNAaseIII: a glycine to glutamate substitution increases the requirement for magnesium ions. J Gen Microbiol. 1993;139:717-24 pubmedThe rnc-97 mutation of the Escherichia coli double-stranded-RNA-specific ribonuclease III (RNAaseIII) was previously isolated by virtue of the lethal expression of RNAaseIII in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- King T, Sirdeshmukh R, Schlessinger D. RNase III cleavage is obligate for maturation but not for function of Escherichia coli pre-23S rRNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1984;81:185-8 pubmed
- Resch A, Afonyushkin T, Lombo T, McDowall K, Blasi U, Kaberdin V. Translational activation by the noncoding RNA DsrA involves alternative RNase III processing in the rpoS 5'-leader. RNA. 2008;14:454-9 pubmed publisher..This study provides new insights into regulation by small regulatory RNAs in that the molecular function of DsrA not only facilitates ribosome loading on rpoS mRNA, but additionally involves an alternative processing of the target. ..
- Paddock G, Fukada K, Abelson J, Robertson H. Cleavage of T4 species I ribonucleic acid by Escherichia coli ribonuclease III. Nucleic Acids Res. 1976;3:1351-71 pubmed..We conclude that this specific cleavage is due to the action of RNase III, and that the requirement for lower ionic strength may reveal further important properties about this RNA processing enzyme. ..
- Wilson H, Yu D, Peters H, Zhou J, Court D. The global regulator RNase III modulates translation repression by the transcription elongation factor N. EMBO J. 2002;21:4154-61 pubmed..Given N protein's critical role in lambda development, the level of RNase III activity therefore serves as an important sensor of physiological conditions for the bacteriophage. ..
- Kharrat A, Macias M, Gibson T, Nilges M, Pastore A. Structure of the dsRNA binding domain of E. coli RNase III. EMBO J. 1995;14:3572-84 pubmed..These residues map to the N-terminus of the second helix and a nearby loop, leading to a model for the possible contacts between the domain and dsRNA. ..
- Zhang K, Nicholson A. Regulation of ribonuclease III processing by double-helical sequence antideterminants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:13437-41 pubmed..Base pair antideterminants also may protect double-helical elements in other RNA molecules with essential functions. ..
- Calin Jageman I, Amarasinghe A, Nicholson A. Ethidium-dependent uncoupling of substrate binding and cleavage by Escherichia coli ribonuclease III. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:1915-25 pubmed
- Talkad V, Achord D, Kennell D. Altered mRNA metabolism in ribonuclease III-deficient strains of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1978;135:528-41 pubmed..from the lactose (lac) operon of Escherichia coli has been studied in ribonuclease (RNase) III-deficient strains (rnc-105)...
- Kim K, Lee Y. Regulation of 6S RNA biogenesis by switching utilization of both sigma factors and endoribonucleases. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:6057-68 pubmed..Our data indicate that the switching of the utilization of both sigma factors and endoribonucleases in the biogenesis of 6S RNA would play an essential role in modulating its levels in E.coli. ..
- Drider D, Condon C. The continuing story of endoribonuclease III. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2004;8:195-200 pubmed..With this aim, the present mini-review provides a wealth of new information focusing on the distribution and architecture of RNase III, substrate recognition, cleavage mechanisms and regulation of gene expression. ..
- Li H, Chelladurai B, Zhang K, Nicholson A. Ribonuclease III cleavage of a bacteriophage T7 processing signal. Divalent cation specificity, and specific anion effects. Nucleic Acids Res. 1993;21:1919-25 pubmed..Third, fluoride anion inhibits RNase III-catalyzed cleavage, by a mechanism which does not involve inhibition of substrate binding. ..
- Matsunaga J, Simons E, Simons R. RNase III autoregulation: structure and function of rncO, the posttranscriptional "operator". RNA. 1996;2:1228-40 pubmedExpression of the Escherichia coli rnc-era-recO operon is regulated posttranscriptionally by ribonuclease III (RNase III), encoded in the rnc gene...
- Sun W, Jun E, Nicholson A. Intrinsic double-stranded-RNA processing activity of Escherichia coli ribonuclease III lacking the dsRNA-binding domain. Biochemistry. 2001;40:14976-84 pubmed..These findings support an RNase III mechanism of action in which the catalytic domain (i) can function independently of the dsRBD, (ii) is dsRNA-specific, and (iii) participates in cleavage site selection. ..
- Sun W, Nicholson A. Mechanism of action of Escherichia coli ribonuclease III. Stringent chemical requirement for the glutamic acid 117 side chain and Mn2+ rescue of the Glu117Asp mutant. Biochemistry. 2001;40:5102-10 pubmed..Glu117 is important for the function of both sites. The implications of these findings on the RNase III catalytic mechanism are discussed. ..
- Regnier P, Grunberg Manago M. RNase III cleavages in non-coding leaders of Escherichia coli transcripts control mRNA stability and genetic expression. Biochimie. 1990;72:825-34 pubmedThe primary transcripts of the rpsO-pnp, rnc-era-recO and metY-nusA-infB operons of E coli are each processed by RNase III, upstream of the first translated gene, in hair-pin structures formed by the 5' non-coding leader...
- Robert Le Meur M, Portier C. E.coli polynucleotide phosphorylase expression is autoregulated through an RNase III-dependent mechanism. EMBO J. 1992;11:2633-41 pubmed..Implications of these results on the mechanism of regulation and on messenger degradation are discussed. ..
- Makarov E, Apirion D. 10Sa RNA: processing by and inhibition of RNase III. Biochem Int. 1992;26:1115-24 pubmed..An inhibitor of p10Sa RNA processing by RNase III was identified. It is a protein, with a molecular mass of approximately 17 kDa. ..
- DasGupta S, Fernandez L, Kameyama L, Inada T, Nakamura Y, Pappas A, et al. Genetic uncoupling of the dsRNA-binding and RNA cleavage activities of the Escherichia coli endoribonuclease RNase III--the effect of dsRNA binding on gene expression. Mol Microbiol. 1998;28:629-40 pubmed..Here, we describe the phenotypes of bacteria carrying point mutations in rnc, the gene encoding RNase III...
- Dunn J. RNase III cleavage of single-stranded RNA. Effect of ionic strength on the fideltiy of cleavage. J Biol Chem. 1976;251:3807-14 pubmed..coli. By cutting RNAs at secondary sites it should be possible to generate RNA fragments which would be useful in a number of studies. ..
- Hajnsdorf E, Carpousis A, Regnier P. Nucleolytic inactivation and degradation of the RNase III processed pnp message encoding polynucleotide phosphorylase of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1994;239:439-54 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that in wild-type E. coli the degradation of the RNase III processed mRNA is mediated by RNase E. ..
- Dennis P. Site specific deletions of regulatory sequences in a ribosomal protein-RNA polymerase operon in Escherichia coli. Effects on beta and beta' gene expression. J Biol Chem. 1984;259:3202-9 pubmed..efficiency of the respective mRNA sequences were indistinguishable in an RNase III processing defective mutant (rnc) and its isogenic parent (rnc+)...
- Sim S, Yeom J, Shin C, Song W, Shin E, Kim H, et al. Escherichia coli ribonuclease III activity is downregulated by osmotic stress: consequences for the degradation of bdm mRNA in biofilm formation. Mol Microbiol. 2010;75:413-25 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the Rcs signalling system has an additional regulatory pathway that functions to modulate bdm expression and consequently, adapt E. coli cells to osmotic stress. ..
- Apirion D, Watson N. Ribonuclease III is involved in motility of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1978;133:1543-5 pubmed..and revertants that regained ribonuclease III also regained motility, and all transductants that remained or became rnc are nonmotile, although only some of the revertants that regained motility also became ribonuclease III+.
- Klovins J, van Duin J, Olsthoorn R. Rescue of the RNA phage genome from RNase III cleavage. Nucleic Acids Res. 1997;25:4201-8 pubmed..Their origin is ascribed to polyadenylation at the site of the RNase III cut (in the + or - strand) either by Escherichia coli poly(A) polymerase or by idling MS2 replicase. ..
- Koraimann G, Schroller C, Graus H, Angerer D, Teferle K, Högenauer G. Expression of gene 19 of the conjugative plasmid R1 is controlled by RNase III. Mol Microbiol. 1993;9:717-27 pubmed..Finally, we could show that an exchange of three nucleotides within the RNase III recognition site abolished RNase III cleavage in vitro. ..
- Guarneros G, Montanez C, Hernandez T, Court D. Posttranscriptional control of bacteriophage lambda gene expression from a site distal to the gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1982;79:238-42 pubmed..Because RNase III host mutants are defective in sib regulation, processing of the PL mRNA at sib by this endoribonuclease may cause int mRNA decay and decrease int synthesis. ..
- Edlind T, Bassel A. Electron microscopic mapping of secondary structures in bacterial 16S and 23S ribosomal ribonucleic acid and 30S precursor ribosomal ribonucleic acid. J Bacteriol. 1980;141:365-73 pubmed..The relation of secondary structure to ribosomal protein binding and ribonuclease III cleavage is discussed. ..
- March P, Ahnn J, Inouye M. The DNA sequence of the gene (rnc) encoding ribonuclease III of Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Res. 1985;13:4677-85 pubmedThe DNA sequence of a 1,076 base pair BglI-BamHI fragment containing the entire rnc gene for ribonuclease III (RNase III) was determined...
- Apirion D, Watson N. Mapping and characterization of a mutation in Escherichia coli that reduces the level of ribonuclease III specific for double-stranded ribonucleic acid. J Bacteriol. 1975;124:317-24 pubmed..Based on available data, their order on the E. coli chromosome appears to be tyrA, ranA, nadB, rnc, purI...
- Srivastava R, Miczak A, Apirion D. Maturation of precursor 10Sa RNA in Escherichia coli is a two-step process: the first reaction is catalyzed by RNase III in presence of Mn2+. Biochimie. 1990;72:791-802 pubmed..The second activity is not any of the known processing endoribonucleases, RNase III, E or P, but could be a new enzyme having no obligate requirement for a divalent cation. ..
- March P, Gonzalez M. Characterization of the biochemical properties of recombinant ribonuclease III. Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:3293-8 pubmed..We postulate that the RNase III dimer undergoes a dramatic conformational change upon recognition of RNA which we are able to trap by cross-linking. ..
- Matsunaga J, Simons E, Simons R. Escherichia coli RNase III (rnc) autoregulation occurs independently of rnc gene translation. Mol Microbiol. 1997;26:1125-35 pubmed..Escherichia coli ribonuclease III (RNase III) negatively autoregulates expression of its own gene (rnc) approximately 10-fold, by cleaving the untranslated leader and initiating approximately 10-fold more rapid decay ..
- Hjalt T, Wagner E. Bulged-out nucleotides protect an antisense RNA from RNase III cleavage. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:571-9 pubmed..In the accompanying paper, we address the significance of bulges in CopA for binding to the target RNA in vitro and for its inhibitory efficiency in vivo. ..
- Stead M, Marshburn S, Mohanty B, Mitra J, Pena Castillo L, Ray D, et al. Analysis of Escherichia coli RNase E and RNase III activity in vivo using tiling microarrays. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:3188-203 pubmed publisher..Data are also presented demonstrating how the arrays were used to identify potential new genes, RNase III cleavage sites and the direct or indirect control of specific biological pathways. ..
- Apirion D, Neil J, Watson N. Consequences of losing ribonuclease III on the Escherichia coli cell. Mol Gen Genet. 1976;144:185-90 pubmedAn isogenic pair of Escherichia coli strains, one carrying an rnc+ and the other an rnc- allele (a mutation which reduces the level of ribonuclease III), was compared. The rnc- strain fails to grow at very elevated temperatures (for E...
- Takata R, Izuhara M, Hori K. Differential degradation of the Escherichia coli polynucleotide phosphorylase mRNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 1989;17:7441-51 pubmed..5 min. It is also shown that the 5' segment of the unprocessed transcripts is more stable than the middle or the 3' segment. ..
- Gerdes K, Nielsen A, Thorsted P, Wagner E. Mechanism of killer gene activation. Antisense RNA-dependent RNase III cleavage ensures rapid turn-over of the stable hok, srnB and pndA effector messenger RNAs. J Mol Biol. 1992;226:637-49 pubmed..Thus, RNase III cleavage seems to be the initial event leading to decay of the killer mRNAs. In an rnc- strain, the truncated mRNA species were found in steady-state cells...
- Kavalchuk K, Madhusudan S, Schnetz K. RNase III initiates rapid degradation of proU mRNA upon hypo-osmotic stress in Escherichia coli. RNA Biol. 2012;9:98-109 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that the primary role of RNase III-mediated processing of proU mRNA is to ensure rapid shutdown of proU upon hypo-osmotic stress. ..
- Membrillo Hernandez J, Lin E. Regulation of expression of the adhE gene, encoding ethanol oxidoreductase in Escherichia coli: transcription from a downstream promoter and regulation by fnr and RpoS. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:7571-9 pubmed..The results support the previously postulated ribosomal binding site (RBS) occlusion model, according to which RNase III cleavage is required to release the RBS from a stem-loop structure in the long transcript. ..
- Faubladier M, Cam K, Bouche J. Escherichia coli cell division inhibitor DicF-RNA of the dicB operon. Evidence for its generation in vivo by transcription termination and by RNase III and RNase E-dependent processing. J Mol Biol. 1990;212:461-71 pubmed..These data indicate that an untranslated product derived from an operon RNA can have a regulatory activity by affecting cell division. ..
- Plunkett G, Echols H. Retroregulation of the bacteriophage lambda int gene: limited secondary degradation of the RNase III-processed transcript. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:588-92 pubmed
- Ahnn J, March P, Takiff H, Inouye M. A GTP-binding protein of Escherichia coli has homology to yeast RAS proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986;83:8849-53 pubmedThe DNA sequence of a gene (era) located immediately downstream of the gene (rnc) encoding ribonuclease III of Escherichia coli was determined and found to encode a protein of 316 amino acid residues...
- Ely S, Staudenbauer W. Regulation of plasmid DNA synthesis: isolation and characterization of copy number mutants of miniR6-5 and miniF plasmids. Mol Gen Genet. 1981;181:29-35 pubmed..v) The copy number of miniR6-5 plasmids (but not of miniF) was reduced by about 50% in an rnc strain deficient in RNAase III.
- Aristarkhov A, Mikulskis A, Belasco J, Lin E. Translation of the adhE transcript to produce ethanol dehydrogenase requires RNase III cleavage in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:4327-32 pubmed..It seems likely that cleavage of this secondary structure by RNase III is necessary for efficient translation initiation. ..