Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: recX
Description: regulatory protein for RecA
Alias: ECK2693, JW2668, oraA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Ragone S, Maman J, Furnham N, Pellegrini L. Structural basis for inhibition of homologous recombination by the RecX protein. EMBO J. 2008;27:2259-69 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe a structural and functional analysis of the HR inhibitor protein RecX and its mode of interaction with the RecA filament...
- Lusetti S, Drees J, Stohl E, Seifert H, Cox M. The DinI and RecX proteins are competing modulators of RecA function. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:55073-9 pubmedThe DinI and RecX proteins of Escherichia coli both modulate the function of RecA protein, but have very different effects. DinI protein stabilizes RecA filaments, preventing disassembly but permitting assembly...
- Mishra S, Mazumdar P, Dey J, Das A. Molecular modeling of RecX reveals its mode of interaction with RecA. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;312:615-22 pubmedThe protein RecA is involved in homologous recombination, DNA repair and also catalyzes DNA strand exchange. RecX gene is downstream of recA and the gene product RecX is supposed to be important for RecA regulation...
- Stohl E, Blount L, Seifert H. Differential cross-complementation patterns of Escherichia coli and Neisseria gonorrhoeae RecA proteins. Microbiology. 2002;148:1821-31 pubmed..Co-expression of the E. coli recA and recX genes in Gc suggests that in this heterologous system RecX modulates RecA-mediated processes.
- Van Dyk T, DeRose E, Gonye G. LuxArray, a high-density, genomewide transcription analysis of Escherichia coli using bioluminescent reporter strains. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:5496-505 pubmed publisher..The responses of two of these, fusions to oraA and yigN, were induced in a LexA-dependent manner by both nalidixic acid and mitomycin C, identifying these as ..
- De Mot R, Schoofs G, Vanderleyden J. A putative regulatory gene downstream of recA is conserved in gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria. Nucleic Acids Res. 1994;22:1313-4 pubmed
- Chattoraj D. Tryptophanase in sRNA control of the Escherichia coli cell cycle. Mol Microbiol. 2007;63:1-3 pubmed..Targeting a catabolic enzyme to buy time for recombination is an amazing example of adaptation, which illustrates the power of a selfish element (a plasmid in this case) to exploit the host cell machinery to its advantage. ..
- Renzette N, Gumlaw N, Sandler S. DinI and RecX modulate RecA-DNA structures in Escherichia coli K-12. Mol Microbiol. 2007;63:103-15 pubmed..Biochemical observations show that at low ratios to RecA, DinI and RecX stabilize and destabilize RecA-DNA filaments, respectively, and that the C-terminal 17 residues of RecA are ..