Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: recN
Description: recombination and repair protein
Alias: ECK2612, JW5416, radB
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Odsbu I, Skarstad K. DNA compaction in the early part of the SOS response is dependent on RecN and RecA. Microbiology. 2014;160:872-82 pubmed publisher..proteins RecA, RecO and RecR as well as the SOS-inducible, SMC (structural maintenance of chromosomes)-like protein RecN. RecN protein is produced in high amounts during the first part of the SOS response...
- Lestini R, Michel B. UvrD controls the access of recombination proteins to blocked replication forks. EMBO J. 2007;26:3804-14 pubmed..UvrD action on RecA is conserved in evolution as it can be performed in E. coli by the UvrD homologue from Bacillus subtilis, PcrA. ..
- Wade J, Struhl K. Association of RNA polymerase with transcribed regions in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:17777-82 pubmed..These observations suggest that in vivo association of sigma(70) and NusA with elongating RNAP is regulated by growth conditions. ..
- Kosa J, Zdraveski Z, Currier S, Marinus M, Essigmann J. RecN and RecG are required for Escherichia coli survival of Bleomycin-induced damage. Mutat Res. 2004;554:149-57 pubmed..Strains recBCD and recN, which lack proteins required for double strand break (DSB) repair, were highly sensitive to BLM, while recF cells ..
- Picksley S, Attfield P, Lloyd R. Repair of DNA double-strand breaks in Escherichia coli K12 requires a functional recN product. Mol Gen Genet. 1984;195:267-74 pubmedMutation of the recN gene of Escherichia coli in a recBC sbcB genetic background blocks conjugational recombination and confers increased sensitivity to UV light and mitomycin C...
- Sargentini N, Smith K. Quantitation of the involvement of the recA, recB, recC, recF, recJ, recN, lexA, radA, radB, uvrD, and umuC genes in the repair of X-ray-induced DNA double-strand breaks in Escherichia coli. Radiat Res. 1986;107:58-72 pubmed..of X-ray-induced DSB: (I) the recA, recB, recC, and lexA mutants were completely deficient; (II) the radB and recN mutants were about 90% deficient; (III) the recF and recJ mutants were about 70% deficient; (IV) the radA and uvrD ..
- Wang T, Smith K. Different effects of recJ and recN mutations on the postreplication repair of UV-damaged DNA in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:2555-9 pubmed..did not affect the UV radiation sensitivity of uvrB and uvrB recF cells, but it increased the sensitivity of uvrB recN (approximately 3-fold) and uvrB recB (approximately 8-fold) cells...
- Meddows T, Savory A, Grove J, Moore T, Lloyd R. RecN protein and transcription factor DksA combine to promote faithful recombinational repair of DNA double-strand breaks. Mol Microbiol. 2005;57:97-110 pubmed..When breaks are induced at a single site, the SOS-inducible RecN protein and the transcription factor DksA combine to promote efficient repair...
- Picksley S, Morton S, Lloyd R. The recN locus of Escherichia coli K12: molecular analysis and identification of the gene product. Mol Gen Genet. 1985;201:301-7 pubmedThe recN gene which is necessary for inducible DNA repair and recombination in Escherichia coli has been cloned into the low copy plasmid vector pHSG415. Analysis of the recombinant plasmid, pSP100, revealed a 5...
- Fujii S, Fuchs R. Biochemical basis for the essential genetic requirements of RecA and the beta-clamp in Pol V activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:14825-30 pubmed publisher..The present article presents an integrated view of TLS under physiologically relevant conditions in E. coli that may represent a paradigm for lesion bypass in other organisms. ..
- Grove J, Wood S, Briggs G, Oldham N, Lloyd R. A soluble RecN homologue provides means for biochemical and genetic analysis of DNA double-strand break repair in Escherichia coli. DNA Repair (Amst). 2009;8:1434-43 pubmed publisherb>RecN is a highly conserved, SMC-like protein in bacteria. It plays an important role in the repair of DNA double-strand breaks and is therefore a key factor in maintaining genome integrity...
- Cupido M, Bridges B. Uvr-independent repair of 8-methoxypsoralen crosslinks in Escherichia coli: evidence for a recombinational process. Mutat Res. 1985;146:135-41 pubmed..coli strains lacking a functional uvrABC endonuclease, is shown to require the products of the recA, recB, recF and recN genes...
- Nagashima K, Kubota Y, Shibata T, Sakaguchi C, Shinagawa H, Hishida T. Degradation of Escherichia coli RecN aggregates by ClpXP protease and its implications for DNA damage tolerance. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:30941-6 pubmed..Escherichia coli recN is a member of the structural maintenance of chromosomes family and is required for DNA double strand break (DSB) ..
- Rostas K, Morton S, Picksley S, Lloyd R. Nucleotide sequence and LexA regulation of the Escherichia coli recN gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 1987;15:5041-9 pubmedThe nucleotide sequence of a 2224 bp region of the Escherichia coli chromosome that carries the LexA regulated recN gene has been determined...
- Miczak A, Chauhan A, Apirion D. Two new genes located between 2758 and 2761 kilobase pairs on the Escherichia coli genome. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:3271-2 pubmed