Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rbsB
Description: D-ribose ABC transporter periplasmic binding protein; ribose chemotaxis receptor
Alias: ECK3745, JW3730, prlB, rbsP
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Park Y, Park C. Topology of RbsC, a membrane component of the ribose transporter, belonging to the AraH superfamily. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:1039-42 pubmed..This result is consistent with the model, based on the results of alkaline phosphatase fusions, in which the protein traverses the membrane six times and the N and C termini are exposed to the cytoplasm...
- Hope J, Bell A, Hermodson M, Groarke J. Ribokinase from Escherichia coli K12. Nucleotide sequence and overexpression of the rbsK gene and purification of ribokinase. J Biol Chem. 1986;261:7663-8 pubmed..It includes the 3' terminus of rbsB (the gene for ribose-binding protein) and the entire rbsK gene, encoding ribokinase...
- Emr S, Hanley Way S, Silhavy T. Suppressor mutations that restore export of a protein with a defective signal sequence. Cell. 1981;23:79-88 pubmed..These results suggest that ribosomes play an important role in the export of lambda receptor to the outer membrane. ..
- Song T, Park C. Effect of folding on the export of ribose-binding protein studied with the genetically isolated suppressors for the signal sequence mutation. J Mol Biol. 1995;253:304-12 pubmed..Most of them are concentrated in one of the subdomains, suggesting that the folding event in the N-domain of RBP is crucial in the rate-determining step. ..
- Galloway D, Furlong C. The role of ribose-binding protein in transport and chemotaxis in Escherichia coli K12. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1977;184:496-504 pubmed
- Wick L, Quadroni M, Egli T. Short- and long-term changes in proteome composition and kinetic properties in a culture of Escherichia coli during transition from glucose-excess to glucose-limited growth conditions in continuous culture and vice versa. Environ Microbiol. 2001;3:588-99 pubmed..adaptation to glucose-limitation was achieved by upregulation of 12 proteins, namely MglB, MalE, ArgT, DppA, RbsB, YdcS, LivJ (precursor), UgpB (precursor), AceA, AldA, AtpA and GatY...
- Kim I, Kim E, Yoo S, Shin D, Min B, Song J, et al. Ribose utilization with an excess of mutarotase causes cell death due to accumulation of methylglyoxal. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:7229-35 pubmed..It was also demonstrated that a small amount of MG is synthesized by monoamine oxidase. ..
- Beloin C, Valle J, Latour Lambert P, Faure P, Kzreminski M, Balestrino D, et al. Global impact of mature biofilm lifestyle on Escherichia coli K-12 gene expression. Mol Microbiol. 2004;51:659-74 pubmed..These results constitute a comprehensive analysis of the global transcriptional response triggered in mature E. coli biofilms and provide insights into its physiological signature. ..
- Groarke J, Mahoney W, Hope J, Furlong C, Robb F, Zalkin H, et al. The amino acid sequence of D-ribose-binding protein from Escherichia coli K12. J Biol Chem. 1983;258:12952-6 pubmed..A signal peptide sequence of 23 or 25 residues was also deduced from the DNA sequence. It shows the characteristic features of prokaryotic signal peptides. ..
- Ahn T, Ko J, Cho E, Yun C. Conformational change of Escherichia coli signal recognition particle Ffh is affected by the functionality of signal peptides of ribose-binding protein. Mol Cells. 2009;27:681-7 pubmed publisher..However, MT had marginal effect on these conformational changes suggesting that the in vivo functionality of signal peptide is important in the interaction with Ffh and concomitant structural change of the protein. ..
- Allert M, Dwyer M, Hellinga H. Local encoding of computationally designed enzyme activity. J Mol Biol. 2007;366:945-53 pubmed
- Lager I, Fehr M, Frommer W, Lalonde S. Development of a fluorescent nanosensor for ribose. FEBS Lett. 2003;553:85-9 pubmed..Inhibitor studies suggest that uptake is mediated by a monosaccharide transporter of the GLUT family, however, ribose taken up into the cell was not or only slowly released, indicating irreversibility of uptake. ..
- Pradel N, Santini C, Ye C, Fevat L, Gérard F, Alami M, et al. Influence of tat mutations on the ribose-binding protein translocation in Escherichia coli. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;306:786-91 pubmed..These results would suggest that under the Sec-defective conditions the export of a portion of folded RBP could be rescued by the Tat system. ..
- Ohba A, Mizushima T, Katayama T, Sekimizu K. Amounts of proteins altered by mutations in the dnaA gene of Escherichia coli. FEBS Lett. 1997;404:125-8 pubmed..As pulse-labeling experiments revealed that the rates of synthesis of the proteins were altered in the mutant, DnaA protein may be involved in expression of these proteins. ..
- Lee H, Chi S, Kang M, Baek K, Kim H. Stability and folding of precursor and mature tryptophan-substituted ribose binding protein of Escherichia coli. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1996;328:78-84 pubmed..Refolding kinetics of the WT-RBP and Trp-RBP showed a two-step reaction when monitored by fluorescence and by CD. ..
- Lopilato J, Garwin J, Emr S, Silhavy T, Beckwith J. D-ribose metabolism in Escherichia coli K-12: genetics, regulation, and transport. J Bacteriol. 1984;158:665-73 pubmedWe have isolated mutants defective in high-affinity D-ribose transport. The mutations map in rbsT or rbsB , the structural gene for ribose binding protein...
- Prajapati R, Indu S, Varadarajan R. Identification and thermodynamic characterization of molten globule states of periplasmic binding proteins. Biochemistry. 2007;46:10339-52 pubmed..The ability of these sequentially unrelated proteins to form highly ordered molten globules may be related to their large size as well as an intrinsic property of periplasmic binding protein folds. ..
- Han M, Lee J, Lee S, Yoo J. Proteome-level responses of Escherichia coli to long-chain fatty acids and use of fatty acid inducible promoter in protein production. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2008;2008:735101 pubmed publisher..showing altered expression levels with oleic acid presence, 9 proteins including AldA, Cdd, FadA, FadB, FadL, MalE, RbsB, Udp, and YccU were newly synthesized...
- Clifton M, Simon M, Erramilli S, Zhang H, Zaitseva J, Hermodson M, et al. In vitro reassembly of the ribose ATP-binding cassette transporter reveals a distinct set of transport complexes. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:5555-65 pubmed publisher..nucleotide binding domains; a transmembrane domain homodimer, RbsC2; and a periplasmic substrate binding protein, RbsB. To investigate the transport mechanism of the complex RbsABC2, we probed intersubunit interactions by varying the ..