Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rbn
Description: RNase BN, tRNA processing enzyme
Alias: ECK2262, JW2263, ecoZ, elaC, rnz, zipD
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Dutta T, Deutscher M. Catalytic properties of RNase BN/RNase Z from Escherichia coli: RNase BN is both an exo- and endoribonuclease. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:15425-31 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that RNase BN may differ from other members of the RNase Z family, and they provide important information to be considered in identifying a physiological role for this enzyme. ..
- Schilling O, Vogel A, Kostelecky B, Natal da Luz H, Spemann D, Späth B, et al. Zinc- and iron-dependent cytosolic metallo-beta-lactamase domain proteins exhibit similar zinc-binding affinities, independent of an atypical glutamate at the metal-binding site. Biochem J. 2005;385:145-53 pubmedZiPD (zinc phosphodiesterase; synonyms are ElaC, ecoZ, RNaseZ and 3' tRNase) and the iron-dependent redox enzyme FlRd (flavorubredoxin) from Escherichia coli represent prototypical cases of proteins sharing the metallo-beta-lactamase fold ..
- Ezraty B, Dahlgren B, Deutscher M. The RNase Z homologue encoded by Escherichia coli elaC gene is RNase BN. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:16542-5 pubmed..Yet, E. coli retains an RNase Z homologue, ElaC, whose function is under active study...
- Elbarbary R, Takaku H, Nashimoto M. Functional analyses for tRNase Z variants: an aspartate and a histidine in the active site are essential for the catalytic activity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1784:2079-85 pubmed publisher..We observed that the Mn(2+) ions cannot rescue the activities of Asp(I)Ala and His(V)Ala variants from each species, which are lost in the presence of Mg(2+). This observation may support the proposed catalytic mechanism. ..
- Perwez T, Kushner S. RNase Z in Escherichia coli plays a significant role in mRNA decay. Mol Microbiol. 2006;60:723-37 pubmed..have chromosomally encoded CCA determinants, the function of its putative RNase Z homologue, the product of the elaC gene, is not clear. Here we demonstrate that the E. coli ElaC protein (RNase Z) endonucleolytically processes B...
- Seidman J, Schmidt F, Foss K, McClain W. A mutant of escherichia coli defective in removing 3' terminal nucleotides from some transfer RNA precursor molecules. Cell. 1975;5:389-400 pubmed..In another instance, precursor RNA maturation was normal, even though this involved the removal of 3'nucleotides. These observations point to the possible existence of at least two 3' ribonucleases for the biosynthesis of transfer RNAs. ..
- Deutscher M. Ribonucleases active at 3' terminus of transfer RNA. Methods Enzymol. 1990;181:421-33 pubmed
- Maisurian A, Buyanovskaya E. Isolation of an Escherichia coli strain restricting bacteriophage suppressor. Mol Gen Genet. 1973;120:227-9 pubmed
- Asha P, Blouin R, Zaniewski R, Deutscher M. Ribonuclease BN: identification and partial characterization of a new tRNA processing enzyme. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1983;80:3301-4 pubmed..The presence of multiple RNases in E. coli and a strategy for their identification and separation are discussed. ..
- Kostelecky B, Pohl E, Vogel A, Schilling O, Meyer Klaucke W. The crystal structure of the zinc phosphodiesterase from Escherichia coli provides insight into function and cooperativity of tRNase Z-family proteins. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:1607-14 pubmedThe elaC gene product from Escherichia coli, ZiPD, is a 3' tRNA-processing endonuclease belonging to the tRNase Z family of enzymes that have been identified in a wide variety of organisms...
- Schilling O, Späth B, Kostelecky B, Marchfelder A, Meyer Klaucke W, Vogel A. Exosite modules guide substrate recognition in the ZiPD/ElaC protein family. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:17857-62 pubmedEscherichia coli ZiPD is the best characterized protein encoded by the elaC gene family and is a model for the 3'-pre-tRNA processing endoribonucleases (tRNase Z)...
- Takaku H, Minagawa A, Takagi M, Nashimoto M. The N-terminal half-domain of the long form of tRNase Z is required for the RNase 65 activity. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:4429-38 pubmed..Furthermore, the optimal concentrations of NaCl, MgCl2 and MnCl2 differed between tRNase ZSs and tRNase ZLs, and the K(m) values implied that tRNase ZLs interact with pre-tRNA substrates more strongly than tRNase ZSs. ..
- Pellegrini O, Nezzar J, Marchfelder A, Putzer H, Condon C. Endonucleolytic processing of CCA-less tRNA precursors by RNase Z in Bacillus subtilis. EMBO J. 2003;22:4534-43 pubmed..We have thus renamed the gene rnz. A CCA motif downstream of the discriminator base inhibits RNase Z activity in vitro, with most of the inhibition ..
- Redko Y, Li de la Sierra Gallay I, Condon C. When all's zed and done: the structure and function of RNase Z in prokaryotes. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2007;5:278-86 pubmed..In this Review, we outline the important recent developments that have contributed to our understanding of this enzyme, particularly in prokaryotes. ..
- Schilling O, Rüggeberg S, Vogel A, Rittner N, Weichert S, Schmidt S, et al. Characterization of an Escherichia coli elaC deletion mutant. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;320:1365-73 pubmedThe elaC gene of Escherichia coli encodes a binuclear zinc phosphodiesterase (ZiPD)...
- Callahan C, Deutscher M. Identification and characterization of the Escherichia coli rbn gene encoding the tRNA processing enzyme RNase BN. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:7329-32 pubmed..On the basis of these data, we suggest that o290 be renamed rbn. Potential homologs of rbn in other organisms also were identified.