Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: raiA
Description: cold shock protein associated with 30S ribosomal subunit
Alias: ECK2594, JW2578, yfiA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Gavini N, Davidson B. pheAo mutants of Escherichia coli have a defective pheA attenuator. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:21532-5 pubmed
- Ueta M, Yoshida H, Wada C, Baba T, Mori H, Wada A. Ribosome binding proteins YhbH and YfiA have opposite functions during 100S formation in the stationary phase of Escherichia coli. Genes Cells. 2005;10:1103-12 pubmed publisherDuring the stationary phase of Escherichia coli growth, ribosomal structure changes drastically. Proteins RMF, YhbH, YfiA and SRA are expressed and bind to ribosome particles...
- El Sharoud W. Ribosome inactivation for preservation: concepts and reservations. Sci Prog. 2004;87:137-52 pubmed..Such proteins include ribosome modulation factor (RMF), YfiA and YhbH. Examining the influence of RMF on the survival of E...
- Agafonov D, Spirin A. The ribosome-associated inhibitor A reduces translation errors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;320:354-8 pubmedRecently we have reported about a novel stress response protein (pY or RaiA) associated with Escherichia coli ribosomes that inhibits translation at the aminoacyl-tRNA binding stage...
- Sato A, Watanabe T, Maki Y, Ueta M, Yoshida H, Ito Y, et al. Solution structure of the E. coli ribosome hibernation promoting factor HPF: Implications for the relationship between structure and function. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;389:580-5 pubmed publisher..The hibernation promoting factor HPF plays a crucial role in 100S ribosome formation. However, YfiA, a known paralog of HPF inhibits 100S formation, although it shares high sequence similarity...
- Wilson D, Nierhaus K. The how and Y of cold shock. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2004;11:1026-8 pubmed
- Salmon K, Hung S, Mekjian K, Baldi P, Hatfield G, Gunsalus R. Global gene expression profiling in Escherichia coli K12. The effects of oxygen availability and FNR. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:29837-55 pubmed..In particular, we describe an approach for identifying gene expression patterns (clusters) obtained from multiple perturbation experiments based on a subset of genes that exhibit high probability for differential expression values. ..
- Agafonov D, Kolb V, Spirin A. Ribosome-associated protein that inhibits translation at the aminoacyl-tRNA binding stage. EMBO Rep. 2001;2:399-402 pubmed..The function of the protein in adaptation of cells to environmental stress is discussed. ..
- Hudson G, Davidson B. Nucleotide sequence and transcription of the phenylalanine and tyrosine operons of Escherichia coli K12. J Mol Biol. 1984;180:1023-51 pubmed
- Vila Sanjurjo A, Schuwirth B, Hau C, Cate J. Structural basis for the control of translation initiation during stress. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2004;11:1054-9 pubmed..The mechanism used by protein Y to reduce translation initiation during stress and quickly release ribosomes for renewed translation initiation may therefore occur widely in nature. ..
- Saint Ruf C, Taddei F, Matic I. Stress and survival of aging Escherichia coli rpoS colonies. Genetics. 2004;168:541-6 pubmed..By measuring cell viability and by transcriptome analysis, here we show that rpoS cells as well as wild-type cells survive when they form colonies on solid media. ..
- Kalinin A, Rak A, Shcherbakov D, Bayer P. 1H, 13C and 15N resonance assignments of the ribosome-associated cold shock response protein Yfia of Escherichia coli. J Biomol NMR. 2002;23:335-6 pubmed
- Ye K, Serganov A, Hu W, Garber M, Patel D. Ribosome-associated factor Y adopts a fold resembling a double-stranded RNA binding domain scaffold. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:5182-91 pubmed..It appears probable that functional properties of pY are not identical to those of dsRBDs, as the postulated RNA-binding site in pY does not coincide with the RNA-binding surface of the dsRBDs...