Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ptsI
Description: PEP-protein phosphotransferase of PTS system (enzyme I)
Alias: ECK2411, JW2409, ctr
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
Publications104 found, 100 shown here
- Chen Q, Amster Choder O. BglF, the Escherichia coli beta-glucoside permease and sensor of the bgl system: domain requirements of the different catalytic activities. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:462-8 pubmed..Our results suggest that catalysis of the sugar-induced functions depends on specific interactions between IIBbgl and IICbgl which occur upon the interaction of BglF with the sugar. ..
- Gulati A, Mahadevan S. Mechanism of catabolite repression in the bgl operon of Escherichia coli: involvement of the anti-terminator BglG, CRP-cAMP and EIIAGlc in mediating glucose effect downstream of transcription initiation. Genes Cells. 2000;5:239-50 pubmed..The CRP-cAMP complex is also involved in this regulation. The results using the crr mutant suggest a negative role for EIIAGlc in the catabolite repression of the bgl genes. ..
- Patel H, Vyas K, Li X, Savtchenko R, Roseman S. Subcellular distribution of enzyme I of the Escherichia coli phosphoenolpyruvate:glycose phosphotransferase system depends on growth conditions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:17486-91 pubmed..The functions of EI sequestration remain to be determined. ..
- Tang C, Williams D, Ghirlando R, Clore G. Solution structure of enzyme IIA(Chitobiose) from the N,N'-diacetylchitobiose branch of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:11770-80 pubmed..This is associated with the presence of an unusually large (230-angstroms3) buried hydrophobic cavity at the trimer interface in IIA(Lac) that is reduced to only 45 angstroms3) in IIA(Chb). ..
- Vos E, ter Horst R, Poolman B, Broos J. Domain complementation studies reveal residues critical for the activity of the mannitol permease from Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1788:581-6 pubmed publisher..The involvement of specific residue positions in the oligomeric functioning of a sugar-translocating EII protein has not been presented before. ..
- Defez R, De Felice M. Cryptic operon for beta-glucoside metabolism in Escherichia coli K12: genetic evidence for a regulatory protein. Genetics. 1981;97:11-25 pubmed..We propose that bglY encodes a protein acting as a repressor of the bglBSRC operon, active in both the presence and absence of beta-glucosides, whose recognition site would be within the bglR locus. ..
- Hoving H, Koning J, Robillard G. Escherichia coli phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent phosphotransferase system: role of divalent metals in the dimerization and phosphorylation of enzyme I. Biochemistry. 1982;21:3128-36 pubmed..The relative effects of these salts suggest that hydrophobic interactions possibly play a significant role in enzyme I dimerization. ..
- Reizer J, Michotey V, Reizer A, Saier M. Novel phosphotransferase system genes revealed by bacterial genome analysis: unique, putative fructose- and glucoside-specific systems. Protein Sci. 1994;3:440-50 pubmed..It is suggested that both the frv and glv operons are cryptic in E. coli and that additional genes encoding novel PTS-related proteins will be revealed by bacterial genome sequence analyses. ..
- Peterkofsky A, Wang G, Garrett D, Lee B, Seok Y, Clore G. Three-dimensional structures of protein-protein complexes in the E. coli PTS. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2001;3:347-54 pubmed..Similarly, a common surface on IIA(Glc) interacts with HPr, IIB(Glc) and glycerol kinase. Thus, there is a common motif for the protein-protein interactions characteristic of the PTS. ..
- Patel H, Vyas K, Mattoo R, Southworth M, Perler F, Comb D, et al. Properties of the C-terminal domain of enzyme I of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:17579-87 pubmed..Interestingly, the dissociation constants for each of the ligands from EI-C are approximately the same as the kinetic (K(m)) constants for the ligands in the complete PTS sugar phosphorylation assays. ..
- Yun Y, Suh J. Calorimetric and spectroscopic investigation of the interaction between the C-terminal domain of Enzyme I and its ligands. Protein Sci. 2012;21:1726-33 pubmed publisher..66 mM from calorimetry. The binding thermodynamics of EIC and PEP compared to that of Enzyme I (EI) and PEP reveals that domain-domain motion in EI can contribute as large as ?-3.2 kcal/mol toward PEP binding. ..
- Hall B, Xu L. Nucleotide sequence, function, activation, and evolution of the cryptic asc operon of Escherichia coli K12. Mol Biol Evol. 1992;9:688-706 pubmed..The duplications that gave rise to these paralogous genes are estimated to have occurred approximately 320 Mya, a time that predates the divergence of E. coli and Salmonella typhimurium. ..
- Schnetz K, Rak B. Regulation of the bgl operon of Escherichia coli by transcriptional antitermination. EMBO J. 1988;7:3271-7 pubmed..The bgl promoter (P0) is not subject to substrate-dependent regulation. The bgl operon has two additional promoters (P1 and P2) located within the terminators, which could also participate in regulation. ..
- Prior T, Kornberg H. Nucleotide sequence of fruA, the gene specifying enzyme IIfru of the phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent sugar phosphotransferase system in Escherichia coli K12. J Gen Microbiol. 1988;134:2757-68 pubmed
- Mahadevan S, Reynolds A, Wright A. Positive and negative regulation of the bgl operon in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:2570-8 pubmed..Based on several lines of evidence presented, we propose that the bglS gene product has an additional role as a component of the beta-glucoside transport system. ..
- Venkateswaran P, Wu H. Isolation and characterization of a phosphonomycin-resistant mutant of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1972;110:935-44 pubmed..Genetic studies indicate that the increased resistance toward phosphonomycin and temperature sensitivity in growth of this mutant are probably the consequences of a single mutation. ..
- Prasad I, Schaefler S. Regulation of the beta-glucoside system in Escherchia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1974;120:638-50 pubmed..It is, therefore, proposed that the bglB, bglS, bglR, bglC genes form a bgl operon. ..
- Nunn R, Markovic Housley Z, Génovésio Taverne J, Flükiger K, Rizkallah P, Jansonius J, et al. Structure of the IIA domain of the mannose transporter from Escherichia coli at 1.7 angstroms resolution. J Mol Biol. 1996;259:502-11 pubmed..Modeling suggests that the covalently bound phosphoryl group would be stabilized by the macrodipole of helix C. Putative interactions between IIA(Man) and the histidine-containing phosphocarrier protein are discussed. ..
- Eberstadt M, Grdadolnik S, Gemmecker G, Kessler H, Buhr A, Erni B. Solution structure of the IIB domain of the glucose transporter of Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1996;35:11286-92 pubmed..The phosphorylation site (Cys421) is at the end of beta 1 on the solvent-exposed face of the sheet surrounded by Asp419, Thr423 Arg424, Arg426, and Gln456 which are invariant in 15 homologous IIB domains from other PTS transporters. ..
- Amster Choder O, Wright A. Regulation of activity of a transcriptional anti-terminator in E. coli by phosphorylation in vivo. Science. 1990;249:540-2 pubmed..The bgl operon is thus regulated by a sensory system that modulates gene expression by protein phosphorylation and dephosphorylation in response to the external levels of inducer. ..
- Lengeler J. Characterisation of mutants of Escherichia coli K12, selected by resistance to streptozotocin. Mol Gen Genet. 1980;179:49-54 pubmed..These include a) mutants auxotrophic for amino acids, vitamins, or nucleotides, b) mutants negative or sensitive to carbohydrates in the medium, and c) mutants wth defects in energy metabolism such as PEP synthesis. ..
- Ryu S, Ramseier T, Michotey V, Saier M, Garges S. Effect of the FruR regulator on transcription of the pts operon in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:2489-96 pubmed..These results suggest that FruR alone does not mediate the in vivo glucose effect on pts operon expression. ..
- Seok Y, Lee B, Gazdar C, Svenson I, Yadla N, Peterkofsky A. Importance of the region around glycine-338 for the activity of enzyme I of the Escherichia coli phosphoenolpyruvate:sugar phosphotransferase system. Biochemistry. 1996;35:236-42 pubmed..Mutation at glycine-338 influences the autophosphorylation rather than the phosphoryl transfer activity of enzyme I. ..
- Garrett D, Seok Y, Peterkofsky A, Gronenborn A, Clore G. Solution structure of the 40,000 Mr phosphoryl transfer complex between the N-terminal domain of enzyme I and HPr. Nat Struct Biol. 1999;6:166-73 pubmed publisher..The transition state can be formed with minimal changes in overall conformation, and is stabilized in favor of phosphorylated HPr, thereby accounting for the directionality of phosphoryl transfer...
- Hvorup R, Chang A, Saier M. Bioinformatic analyses of the bacterial L-ascorbate phosphotransferase system permease family. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2003;6:191-205 pubmed..These results suggest that the Sga and Gat families of PTS permeases comprise a small superfamily in which the transmembrane IIC domains evolved independently of all other known PTS permeases. ..
- Patrick W, Quandt E, Swartzlander D, Matsumura I. Multicopy suppression underpins metabolic evolvability. Mol Biol Evol. 2007;24:2716-22 pubmed..This genome-wide survey demonstrates that multifunctional genes are common and illustrates the mechanistic diversity by which their products enhance metabolic robustness and evolvability. ..
- Giel M, Desnoyer M, Lopilato J. A mutation in a new gene, bglJ, activates the bgl operon in Escherichia coli K-12. Genetics. 1996;143:627-35 pubmed..The putative protein encoded by the bglJ gene has homolgy to a family of transcriptional activators. Evidence is presented that increased expression of the bglJ product is needed for activation of the bgl operon. ..
- Caramel A, Schnetz K. Lac and lambda repressors relieve silencing of the Escherichia coli bgl promoter. Activation by alteration of a repressing nucleoprotein complex. J Mol Biol. 1998;284:875-83 pubmed
- Ohta T, Ueguchi C, Mizuno T. rpoS function is essential for bgl silencing caused by C-terminally truncated H-NS in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:6278-83 pubmed..We also examined whether the H-NS homolog StpA has such an adapter function, as was previously proposed. Our results did not support the idea that StpA has an adapter function in the genetic background used. ..
- Fux L, Nussbaum Shochat A, Lopian L, Amster Choder O. Modulation of monomer conformation of the BglG transcriptional antiterminator from Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:6775-81 pubmed..Based on these results we suggest a model for the modulation of BglG conformation and activity by BglF. ..
- Amster Choder O, Houman F, Wright A. Protein phosphorylation regulates transcription of the beta-glucoside utilization operon in E. coli. Cell. 1989;58:847-55 pubmed..Addition of inducer stimulates BglF to dephosphorylate BglG, allowing BglG to function as a positive regulator of operon expression. Beta-Glucosides are then phosphorylated and transported into the cell by BglF. ..
- Kricker M, Hall B. Biochemical genetics of the cryptic gene system for cellobiose utilization in Escherichia coli K12. Genetics. 1987;115:419-29 pubmed..Other strains inducibly express a gene which specifies transport of arbutin but not the other beta-glucosides. The arbutin transport gene, arbT, maps outside of the cel locus. ..
- Parra F, Jones Mortimer M, Kornberg H. Phosphotransferase-mediated regulation of carbohydrate utilization in Escherichia coli K12: the nature of the iex (crr) and gsr (tgs) mutations. J Gen Microbiol. 1983;129:337-48 pubmed..In consequence the inducer (or its precursor) may be excluded from the cell and induction thus prevented. ..
- Gutknecht R, Flükiger K, Lanz R, Erni B. Mechanism of phosphoryl transfer in the dimeric IIABMan subunit of the Escherichia coli mannose transporter. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:6091-6 pubmed
- Garcia Alles L, Zahn A, Erni B. Sugar recognition by the glucose and mannose permeases of Escherichia coli. Steady-state kinetics and inhibition studies. Biochemistry. 2002;41:10077-86 pubmed..A working model that accounts for the kinetic data is presented. ..
- Nilsson A, Berg O, Aspevall O, Kahlmeter G, Andersson D. Biological costs and mechanisms of fosfomycin resistance in Escherichia coli. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2003;47:2850-8 pubmed..Resistance in the mutants isolated in vitro was caused by ptsI, cyaA, glpT, uhpA/T, and unknown mutations, whereas no cyaA or ptsI mutants could be found in vivo...
- Fux L, Nussbaum Shochat A, Amster Choder O. A fraction of the BglG transcriptional antiterminator from Escherichia coli exists as a compact monomer. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:50978-84 pubmed..Our results imply that the monomer-dimer transition involves a conformational change. The possible role of the compact form in preventing untimely induction of the bgl operon is discussed. ..
- Feldheim D, Chin A, Nierva C, Feucht B, Cao Y, Xu Y, et al. Physiological consequences of the complete loss of phosphoryl-transfer proteins HPr and FPr of the phosphoenolpyruvate:sugar phosphotransferase system and analysis of fructose (fru) operon expression in Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:5459-69 pubmed..fruR), the energy-coupling enzymes of the phosphoenolpyruvate:sugar phosphotransferase system (PTS) (ptsH and ptsI), and the proteins of cyclic AMP action (cya and crp) were analyzed for their effects on cellular physiological ..
- Figge R, Ramseier T, Saier M. The mannitol repressor (MtlR) of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:840-7 pubmed..5. It is homologous to the product of an open reading frame (URF2D) upstream of the E. coli gapB gene but represents a novel type of transcriptional regulatory protein. ..
- Görke B, Rak B. Catabolite control of Escherichia coli regulatory protein BglG activity by antagonistically acting phosphorylations. EMBO J. 1999;18:3370-9 pubmed..Thus, the PTS may represent a highly integrated signal transduction network in carbon catabolite control. ..
- Bramley H, Kornberg H. Nucleotide sequence of bglC, the gene specifying enzymeIIbgl of the PEP:sugar phosphotransferase system in Escherichia coli K12, and overexpression of the gene product. J Gen Microbiol. 1987;133:563-73 pubmed
- Dahl U, Jaeger T, Nguyen B, Sattler J, Mayer C. Identification of a phosphotransferase system of Escherichia coli required for growth on N-acetylmuramic acid. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:2385-92 pubmed..Close homologs of MurP were identified in the genome of several bacteria, and we believe that these organisms might also be able to utilize MurNAc. ..
- Hall B, Xu L, Ochman H. Physical map location of the asc (formerly sac) operon of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:5250 pubmed
- Lee C, Saier M. Mannitol-specific enzyme II of the bacterial phosphotransferase system. III. The nucleotide sequence of the permease gene. J Biol Chem. 1983;258:10761-7 pubmed..The possible functions of such a protein structure are discussed. RNA mapping has identified the promoter and mRNA start point for the mtl operon. ..
- Liao D, Kapadia G, Reddy P, Saier M, Reizer J, Herzberg O. Structure of the IIA domain of the glucose permease of Bacillus subtilis at 2.2-A resolution. Biochemistry. 1991;30:9583-94 pubmed..This may be important for the interaction with the IIB domain of the permease and/or play a catalytic role in the phosphoryl transfer from IIA to IIB. ..
- Britton P, Boronat A, Hartley D, Jones Mortimer M, Kornberg H, Parra F. Phosphotransferase-mediated regulation of carbohydrate utilization in Escherichia coli K12: location of the gsr (tgs) and iex (crr) genes by specialized transduction. J Gen Microbiol. 1983;129:349-56 pubmedA lysogen of Escherichia coli K12 with lambda cI857 S7 xis6 nin5 b515 b519 integrated into ptsI was induced and the lysates plated on a Pel- host [on which lambda strains with less than the wild-type amount of DNA form plaques at low ..
- Keyhani N, Roseman S. Wild-type Escherichia coli grows on the chitin disaccharide, N,N'-diacetylchitobiose, by expressing the cel operon. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:14367-71 pubmed..Furthermore, sequencing evidence indicates that the operon contains an additional gene of unknown function to be designated as chbG. Thus, the overall gene sequence is to be named chbBCARFG. ..
- Dole S, Nagarajavel V, Schnetz K. The histone-like nucleoid structuring protein H-NS represses the Escherichia coli bgl operon downstream of the promoter. Mol Microbiol. 2004;52:589-600 pubmed..This suggests that H-NS induces polarity of transcription by acting as a roadblock to the elongating RNA polymerase. The control of the bgl operon by H-NS at two levels results in a highly specific repression. ..
- Keyhani N, Rodgers M, Demeler B, Hansen J, Roseman S. Analytical sedimentation of the IIAChb and IIBChb proteins of the Escherichia coli N,N'-diacetylchitobiose phosphotransferase system. Demonstration of a model phosphotransfer transition state complex. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:33110-5 pubmed..A model is presented that describes the concerted assembly and disassembly of IIA(Chb)-IIB(Chb) complexes contingent on phosphorylation-dependent conformational changes, especially of IIA(Chb). ..
- Hall B, Betts P. Cryptic genes for cellobiose utilization in natural isolates of Escherichia coli. Genetics. 1987;115:431-9 pubmed..It is estimated that in any random isolate the probability of any particular cluster having been irreversibly inactivated by the accumulation of random mutations is about 0.5. ..
- Hu J, Hu K, Williams D, Komlosh M, Cai M, Clore G. Solution NMR structures of productive and non-productive complexes between the A and B domains of the cytoplasmic subunit of the mannose transporter of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:11024-37 pubmed publisher..The non-productive IIA(Man)-IIB(Man) complex may possibly be relevant to subsequent phosphoryl transfer from His-175 of IIB(Man) to the incoming sugar located on the transmembrane IIC(Man)-IID(Man) complex. ..
- Yamada M, Saier M. Positive and negative regulators for glucitol (gut) operon expression in Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1988;203:569-83 pubmed..An additional cistron of the gut operon, of unknown function, may follow the gutR gene. ..
- Chen Q, Amster Choder O. BglF, the sensor of the bgl system and the beta-glucosides permease of Escherichia coli: evidence for dimerization and intersubunit phosphotransfer. Biochemistry. 1998;37:8714-23 pubmed
- Nobelmann B, Lengeler J. Sequence of the gat operon for galactitol utilization from a wild-type strain EC3132 of Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1995;1262:69-72 pubmed..All genes are highly similar to the gat genes from E. coli K-12; in this organism they map at 46.70 min of the gene map, equivalent to about 2180-2186 kbp...
- Mukerji M, Mahadevan S. Characterization of the negative elements involved in silencing the bgl operon of Escherichia coli: possible roles for DNA gyrase, H-NS, and CRP-cAMP in regulation. Mol Microbiol. 1997;24:617-27 pubmed
- Plumbridge J. Expression of the phosphotransferase system both mediates and is mediated by Mlc regulation in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1999;33:260-73 pubmed..The ptsG22 mutation, although negative for glucose transport, shows a weak positive regulatory phenotype. The mutation has been sequenced and its effect on regulation investigated. ..
- Ammer J, Brennenstuhl M, Schindler P, Holtje J, Zahner H. Phosphorylation of streptozotocin during uptake via the phosphoenolpyruvate: sugar phosphotransferase system in Escherichia coli. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1979;16:801-7 pubmed..It is concluded that streptozotocin is taken up by E. coli via the phosphoenolpyruvate:sugar phosphotransferase system and consequently accumulates in the cell at first as streptozotocin-phosphate. ..
- Vick J, von Bredow J. Effectiveness of intramuscularly administered cyanide antidotes on methemoglobin formation and survival. J Appl Toxicol. 1996;16:509-16 pubmed..It would appear from these studies that HH, DMAP and sodium nitrite with atropine are all potentially effective intramuscular antidotes for acute cyanide poisoning. ..
- Erni B, Zanolari B, Kocher H. The mannose permease of Escherichia coli consists of three different proteins. Amino acid sequence and function in sugar transport, sugar phosphorylation, and penetration of phage lambda DNA. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:5238-47 pubmed..Residual sugar phosphorylation activity is found with the truncated form of II-PMan. No obvious homologies at the level of amino acid sequence could be detected with other bacterial transport proteins...
- Yagur Kroll S, Ido A, Amster Choder O. Spatial arrangement of the beta-glucoside transporter from Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:3086-94 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that the big loop participates in creating the sugar pathway and explain the observed coupling between translocation of PTS sugars from the periplasm to the cytoplasm and their phosphorylation. ..
- Keyhani N, Bacia K, Roseman S. The transport/phosphorylation of N,N'-diacetylchitobiose in Escherichia coli. Characterization of phospho-IIB(Chb) and of a potential transition state analogue in the phosphotransfer reaction between the proteins IIA(Chb) AND IIB(Chb). J Biol Chem. 2000;275:33102-9 pubmed..This is apparently the first report of the isolation of a transition state analogue in a protein-protein phosphotransfer reaction. ..
- Free A, Porter M, Deighan P, Dorman C. Requirement for the molecular adapter function of StpA at the Escherichia coli bgl promoter depends upon the level of truncated H-NS protein. Mol Microbiol. 2001;42:903-17 pubmed..These findings have important implications for the involvement of other proteins in H-NS-dependent transcriptional repression. ..
- Sugiyama J, Mahmoodian S, Jacobson G. Membrane topology analysis of Escherichia coli mannitol permease by using a nested-deletion method to create mtlA-phoA fusions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:9603-7 pubmed
- Reynolds A, Felton J, Wright A. Insertion of DNA activates the cryptic bgl operon in E. coli K12. Nature. 1981;293:625-9 pubmed
- Boustred A, Fernandes D, van Zyl A. Minimally invasive iliac cancellous bone graft harvesting. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997;99:1760-4 pubmed..The procedure could be used in adults, it could also be used to obtain bone graft for treating other conditions, and other donor sites could be approached with the same technique. ..
- Tang C, Clore G. A simple and reliable approach to docking protein-protein complexes from very sparse NOE-derived intermolecular distance restraints. J Biomol NMR. 2006;36:37-44 pubmed
- Rimmele M, Boos W. Trehalose-6-phosphate hydrolase of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:5654-64 pubmed..This report corrects our previous view on the function of the treC gene product as an amylotrehalase, which was based on the analysis of the metabolic products of trehalose metabolism in whole cells. ..
- Rhiel E, Flükiger K, Wehrli C, Erni B. The mannose transporter of Escherichia coli K12: oligomeric structure, and function of two conserved cysteines. Biol Chem Hoppe Seyler. 1994;375:551-9 pubmed..Two cysteines in IICMan and IIDMan which are conserved in the homologous subunits of the fructose transporter of Bacillus subtilis and of sorbose transporter of Klebsiella pneumoniae are not necessary for phosphotransferase function. ..
- Wang L, Li J, March J, Valdes J, Bentley W. luxS-dependent gene regulation in Escherichia coli K-12 revealed by genomic expression profiling. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:8350-60 pubmed..These data are consistent with the function of LuxS as an important metabolic enzyme but appear not to support the role of AI-2 as a true signal molecule for E. coli W3110 under the investigated conditions. ..
- Reidl J, Boos W. The malX malY operon of Escherichia coli encodes a novel enzyme II of the phosphotransferase system recognizing glucose and maltose and an enzyme abolishing the endogenous induction of the maltose system. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:4862-76 pubmed..This is not the case in a malT(Con) strain that expresses the mal genes constitutively. We conclude that malY encodes an enzyme that degrades the inducer of the maltose system or prevents its synthesis. ..
- Dole S, Klingen Y, Nagarajavel V, Schnetz K. The protease Lon and the RNA-binding protein Hfq reduce silencing of the Escherichia coli bgl operon by H-NS. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:2708-16 pubmed..These data provide evidence that the specific repression by H-NS can (directly or indirectly) be modulated and controlled by other pleiotropic regulators. ..
- Reichenbach B, Breustedt D, Stülke J, Rak B, Görke B. Genetic dissection of specificity determinants in the interaction of HPr with enzymes II of the bacterial phosphoenolpyruvate:sugar phosphotransferase system in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:4603-13 pubmed..Therefore, they may constitute a signature motif that determines the specificity of HPr for either gram-negative or -positive EIIs. ..
- Kornberg H, Jones Mortimer M. PtsX: a gene involved in the uptake of glucose and fructose by Escherichia coli. FEBS Lett. 1975;51:1-4 pubmed
- Schnetz K, Rak B. Beta-glucoside permease represses the bgl operon of Escherichia coli by phosphorylation of the antiterminator protein and also interacts with glucose-specific enzyme III, the key element in catabolite control. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:5074-8 pubmed..In the absence of both sugars, when the catabolite-controlled promoter of the operon is derepressed, enzyme IIIGlc may mediate tight repression of antitermination. ..
- Huber F, Erni B. Membrane topology of the mannose transporter of Escherichia coli K12. Eur J Biochem. 1996;239:810-7 pubmed..IIDMan is anchored in the membrane by a single membrane-spanning segment at the end of the C-terminus, while most of the protein (250 residues) protrudes into the cytoplasm. ..
- Plumbridge J. Repression and induction of the nag regulon of Escherichia coli K-12: the roles of nagC and nagA in maintenance of the uninduced state. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:2053-62 pubmed
- Peri K, Goldie H, Waygood E. Cloning and characterization of the N-acetylglucosamine operon of Escherichia coli. Biochem Cell Biol. 1990;68:123-37 pubmed..The nagD gene is followed by repetitive extragenic palindromic sequences. The nag genes appear to be organized in an operon: nagD nagC nagA nagB nagE. ..
- Hall B, Faunce W. Functional genes for cellobiose utilization in natural isolates of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:2713-7 pubmed
- Chen Q, Arents J, Bader R, Postma P, Amster Choder O. BglF, the sensor of the E. coli bgl system, uses the same site to phosphorylate both a sugar and a regulatory protein. EMBO J. 1997;16:4617-27 pubmed..Possible mechanisms that ensure correct phosphoryl delivery to the right entity, sugar or protein, depending on environmental conditions, are discussed. ..
- De Reuse H, Huttner E, Danchin A. Analysis of the ptsH-ptsI-crr region in Escherichia coli K-12: evidence for the existence of a single transcriptional unit. Gene. 1984;32:31-40 pubmedA cosmid containing the ptsH, ptsI and crr genes of Escherichia coli coding for three components of the phosphoenolpyruvate: sugar phosphotransferase system (PTS) has been isolated...
- Reizer J, Mitchell W, Minton N, Brehm J, Reizer A, Saier M. Proposed topology of the glucitol permeases of Escherichia coli and Clostridium acetobutylicum. Curr Microbiol. 1996;33:331-3 pubmed
- Vogler A, Broekhuizen C, Schuitema A, Lengeler J, Postma P. Suppression of IIIGlc-defects by enzymes IINag and IIBgl of the PEP:carbohydrate phosphotransferase system. Mol Microbiol. 1988;2:719-26 pubmed..We conclude from these results that the IIIGlc-like domain of Enzyme IINag and IIBgl can replace IIIGlc in IIIGlc-dependent carbohydrate transport and phosphorylation. ..
- Ab E, Schuurman Wolters G, Reizer J, Saier M, Dijkstra K, Scheek R, et al. The NMR side-chain assignments and solution structure of enzyme IIBcellobiose of the phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent phosphotransferase system of Escherichia coli. Protein Sci. 1997;6:304-14 pubmed..A loop that is proposed to be involved in the binding of the phosphoryl-group follows the cysteine. The loop appears to be disordered in the unphosphorylated state. ..
- Schnetz K, Wang J. Silencing of the Escherichia coli bgl promoter: effects of template supercoiling and cell extracts on promoter activity in vitro. Nucleic Acids Res. 1996;24:2422-8 pubmed
- Görke B. Regulation of the Escherichia coli antiterminator protein BglG by phosphorylation at multiple sites and evidence for transfer of phosphoryl groups between monomers. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:46219-29 pubmed..The active His-208-phosphorylated BglG dimer can subsequently be inhibited in its activity by EIIBgl-catalyzed phosphorylation at His-101. ..
- Schnetz K, Rak B. IS5: a mobile enhancer of transcription in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:1244-8 pubmed..Activation of gene expression by means of interaction of a defective mobile element in cis with functions encoded by a nondefective element in trans has so far been described only for a maize controlling element. ..
- Seip S, Lanz R, Gutknecht R, Flükiger K, Erni B. The fructose transporter of Bacillus subtilis encoded by the lev operon: backbone assignment and secondary structure of the IIB(Lev) subunit. Eur J Biochem. 1997;243:306-14 pubmed..The protein fold of IIBLev has no similarity to any of the known structures of other phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent-carbohydrate-phosphotransferase-system proteins. ..
- Kroon G, Grotzinger J, Dijkstra K, Scheek R, Robillard G. Backbone assignments and secondary structure of the Escherichia coli enzyme-II mannitol A domain determined by heteronuclear three-dimensional NMR spectroscopy. Protein Sci. 1993;2:1331-41 pubmed..The resulting secondary structure is considerably different from that reported for IIAglc of E. coli and Bacillus subtilis determined by NMR and X-ray. ..
- Dimitrova M, Szczepanowski R, Ruvinov S, Peterkofsky A, Ginsburg A. Interdomain interaction and substrate coupling effects on dimerization and conformational stability of enzyme I of the Escherichia coli phosphoenolpyruvate:sugar phosphotransferase system. Biochemistry. 2002;41:906-13 pubmed
- Nishio Y, Usuda Y, Matsui K, Kurata H. Computer-aided rational design of the phosphotransferase system for enhanced glucose uptake in Escherichia coli. Mol Syst Biol. 2008;4:160 pubmed publisher..Such design and analysis predicted that the mlc knockout mutant with ptsI gene overexpression would greatly increase the specific glucose uptake rate...