Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ptsH
Description: phosphohistidinoprotein-hexose phosphotransferase component of PTS system (Hpr)
Alias: ECK2410, JW2408, ctr, hpr, iex?
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
Publications108 found, 100 shown here
- Khan M, Isaacson R. In vivo expression of the beta-glucoside (bgl) operon of Escherichia coli occurs in mouse liver. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:4746-9 pubmed..coli strain. These results demonstrated that expression of the bgl operon occurs in infected mouse liver and suggests a unique role for this operon in vivo. ..
- Marechal L. Transport and metabolism of trehalose in Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium. Arch Microbiol. 1984;137:70-3 pubmed..These findings suggest that trehalose is transported in these bacteria by an inducible phosphoenolpyruvate:trehalose phosphotransferase system. The presence of a constitutive trehalase was also detected. ..
- Mao Q, Schunk T, Flükiger K, Erni B. Functional reconstitution of the purified mannose phosphotransferase system of Escherichia coli into phospholipid vesicles. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:5258-65 pubmed..A new plasmid pTSHIC9 for the controlled overexpression of the cytoplasmic phosphoryl carrier proteins, enzyme I, HPr, and IIAGlc, and a simplified procedure for the purification of these proteins are also described.
- Chen Q, Engelberg Kulka H, Amster Choder O. The localization of the phosphorylation site of BglG, the response regulator of the Escherichia coli bgl sensory system. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:17263-8 pubmed..Thus, the mapping reported here is an important step toward the definition of the functional domains involved in the transduction of a signal by the components that constitute systems of this novel family. ..
- Amster Choder O, Wright A. BglG, the response regulator of the Escherichia coli bgl operon, is phosphorylated on a histidine residue. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:5621-4 pubmed..This result supports the notion that the bgl system is a member of a new family of bacterial sensory systems. ..
- Free A, Porter M, Deighan P, Dorman C. Requirement for the molecular adapter function of StpA at the Escherichia coli bgl promoter depends upon the level of truncated H-NS protein. Mol Microbiol. 2001;42:903-17 pubmed..These findings have important implications for the involvement of other proteins in H-NS-dependent transcriptional repression. ..
- Plumbridge J, Pellegrini O. Expression of the chitobiose operon of Escherichia coli is regulated by three transcription factors: NagC, ChbR and CAP. Mol Microbiol. 2004;52:437-49 pubmed
- Dole S, Klingen Y, Nagarajavel V, Schnetz K. The protease Lon and the RNA-binding protein Hfq reduce silencing of the Escherichia coli bgl operon by H-NS. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:2708-16 pubmed..These data provide evidence that the specific repression by H-NS can (directly or indirectly) be modulated and controlled by other pleiotropic regulators. ..
- Klevit R, Waygood E. Two-dimensional 1H NMR studies of histidine-containing protein from Escherichia coli. 3. Secondary and tertiary structure as determined by NMR. Biochemistry. 1986;25:7774-81 pubmed..resonance assignments of the 1H NMR spectrum of the 85-residue histidine-containing phosphocarrier protein (HPr) are complete [Klevit, R. E., Drobny, G. P., & Waygood, E. B...
- Madan R, Kolter R, Mahadevan S. Mutations that activate the silent bgl operon of Escherichia coli confer a growth advantage in stationary phase. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:7912-7 pubmed..Our results indicate a possible evolutionary advantage in retaining the silent bgl operon by wild-type bacteria. ..
- Geerse R, Izzo F, Postma P. The PEP: fructose phosphotransferase system in Salmonella typhimurium: FPr combines enzyme IIIFru and pseudo-HPr activities. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;216:517-25 pubmed..results, we have found that the fruF gene codes for a 39 kDa protein, FPr, that combines Enzyme IIIFru and pseudo-HPr activities...
- Williams N, Fox D, Shea C, Roseman S. Pel, the protein that permits lambda DNA penetration of Escherichia coli, is encoded by a gene in ptsM and is required for mannose utilization by the phosphotransferase system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986;83:8934-8 pubmed..Thus, Pel is required for function of the IIMan complex. The efficiency of the complex may depend on the ratio of Pel to IIMan. ..
- Kundig W, Roseman S. Sugar transport. II. Characterization of constitutive membrane-bound enzymes II of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system. J Biol Chem. 1971;246:1407-18 pubmed
- Buhr A, Erni B. Membrane topology of the glucose transporter of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:11599-603 pubmed..A sequence comparison of IIBCGlc with three related proteins indicates that the periplasmic loops differ in size and sequence while the cytoplasmic loops are better conserved. ..
- Schnetz K. Silencing of the Escherichia coli bgl operon by RpoS requires Crl. Microbiology. 2002;148:2573-8 pubmed..coli strains. Crl may therefore account for some of the observed strain-dependent variations of bgl operon expression levels and effects of pleiotropic regulators on bgl operon regulation. ..
- Dole S, Nagarajavel V, Schnetz K. The histone-like nucleoid structuring protein H-NS represses the Escherichia coli bgl operon downstream of the promoter. Mol Microbiol. 2004;52:589-600 pubmed..This suggests that H-NS induces polarity of transcription by acting as a roadblock to the elongating RNA polymerase. The control of the bgl operon by H-NS at two levels results in a highly specific repression. ..
- Hall B, Betts P, Kricker M. Maintenance of the cellobiose utilization genes of Escherichia coli in a cryptic state. Mol Biol Evol. 1986;3:389-402 pubmed..coli populations. This alternation of environments and fitnesses was predicted by the model for cryptic-gene maintenance that was previously published. ..
- Reizer J, Reizer A, Saier M. Novel phosphotransferase system genes revealed by bacterial genome analysis--a gene cluster encoding a unique Enzyme I and the proteins of a fructose-like permease system. Microbiology. 1995;141 ( Pt 4):961-71 pubmed..Identification of the putative products of this gene cluster leads to the proposal that several of the proteins encoded in this region function in anaerobic carbon metabolism. ..
- Seok Y, Sondej M, Badawi P, Lewis M, Briggs M, Jaffe H, et al. High affinity binding and allosteric regulation of Escherichia coli glycogen phosphorylase by the histidine phosphocarrier protein, HPr. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:26511-21 pubmedThe histidine phosphocarrier protein (HPr) is an essential element in sugar transport by the bacterial phosphoenolpyruvate:sugar phosphotransferase system...
- De Spiegeleer P, Vanoirbeek K, Lietaert A, Sermon J, Aertsen A, Michiels C. Investigation into the resistance of lactoperoxidase tolerant Escherichia coli mutants to different forms of oxidative stress. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2005;252:315-9 pubmed..Finally, a lactoperoxidase tolerant knock-out strain of ulaA, involved in ascorbic acid uptake, did not show resistance to any of the other oxidants. The possible modes of action of these different oxidants are discussed. ..
- Tang C, Iwahara J, Clore G. Visualization of transient encounter complexes in protein-protein association. Nature. 2006;444:383-6 pubmed..weak protein-protein complex between the amino-terminal domain of enzyme I and the phosphocarrier protein HPr. Neither the stereospecific complex alone nor any single alternative conformation can account fully for the ..
- Yagur Kroll S, Ido A, Amster Choder O. Spatial arrangement of the beta-glucoside transporter from Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:3086-94 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that the big loop participates in creating the sugar pathway and explain the observed coupling between translocation of PTS sugars from the periplasm to the cytoplasm and their phosphorylation. ..
- Yasuzawa K, Hayashi N, Goshima N, Kohno K, Imamoto F, Kano Y. Histone-like proteins are required for cell growth and constraint of supercoils in DNA. Gene. 1992;122:9-15 pubmed..The bgl operon was expressed in cells depleted of both HU and H-NS as well as in cells depleted of H-NS.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Saffen D, Presper K, Doering T, Roseman S. Sugar transport by the bacterial phosphotransferase system. Molecular cloning and structural analysis of the Escherichia coli ptsH, ptsI, and crr genes. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:16241-53 pubmedSpecialized lambda-transducing phages that carry the Escherichia coli genes ptsH, ptsI, crr, cysM, and cysA have been isolated, and the genes were subcloned in plasmid pBR322...
- Parker L, Hall B. A fourth Escherichia coli gene system with the potential to evolve beta-glucoside utilization. Genetics. 1988;119:485-90 pubmed..We have designated this gene system the sac locus. The sac locus is a fourth set of genes with the potential for evolving to provide beta-glucoside utilization. ..
- Nobelmann B, Lengeler J. Molecular analysis of the gat genes from Escherichia coli and of their roles in galactitol transport and metabolism. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:6790-5 pubmed..7 min or 2,173 to 2,180 kbp. The genes are expressed constitutively in both strains, probably due to a mutation(s) in gatR. Transcription initiation sites for the gatYp and the gatRp promoters were determined by primer extension analysis...
- Vick J, von Bredow J. Effectiveness of intramuscularly administered cyanide antidotes on methemoglobin formation and survival. J Appl Toxicol. 1996;16:509-16 pubmed..It would appear from these studies that HH, DMAP and sodium nitrite with atropine are all potentially effective intramuscular antidotes for acute cyanide poisoning. ..
- Blankenhorn D, Phillips J, Slonczewski J. Acid- and base-induced proteins during aerobic and anaerobic growth of Escherichia coli revealed by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:2209-16 pubmed..and induction of several enzymes of sugar metabolism at low pH: the phosphotransferase system components ManX and PtsH and the galactitol fermentation enzyme GatY...
- Somavanshi R, Ghosh B, Sourjik V. Sugar Influx Sensing by the Phosphotransferase System of Escherichia coli. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e2000074 pubmed publisher..Finally, we observe that default uptake through the uninduced PTS network correlates well with the quality of the carbon source, apparently representing an optimal regulatory strategy. ..
- Rodionova I, Zhang Z, Mehla J, Goodacre N, Babu M, Emili A, et al. The phosphocarrier protein HPr of the bacterial phosphotransferase system globally regulates energy metabolism by directly interacting with multiple enzymes in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:14250-14257 pubmed publisherThe histidine-phosphorylatable phosphocarrier protein (HPr) is an essential component of the sugar-transporting phosphotransferase system (PTS) in many bacteria...
- Reynolds A, Mahadevan S, LeGrice S, Wright A. Enhancement of bacterial gene expression by insertion elements or by mutation in a CAP-cAMP binding site. J Mol Biol. 1986;191:85-95 pubmed..The role of the insertion sequences in activation of the bgl operon is discussed. ..
- Britton P, Murfitt D, Parra F, Jones Mortimer M, Kornberg H. Phosphotransferase-mediated regulation of carbohydrate utilisation in Escherichia coli K12: identification of the products of genes on the specialised transducing phages lambda iex (crr) and lambda gsr (tgs). EMBO J. 1982;1:907-11 pubmed..using a series of specialised transducing phages carrying different, overlapping, segments of the cysA-gsr-ptsI-ptsH- iex - cysZ -lig region of the genome of Escherichia coli...
- Reizer J, Ramseier T, Reizer A, Charbit A, Saier M. Novel phosphotransferase genes revealed by bacterial genome sequencing: a gene cluster encoding a putative N-acetylgalactosamine metabolic pathway in Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 1996;142 ( Pt 2):231-50 pubmed..A pathway for the metabolism of N-acetylgalactosamine biochemically similar to that for the metabolism of N-acetylglucosamine is proposed. ..
- Garrett D, Seok Y, Peterkofsky A, Clore G, Gronenborn A. Identification by NMR of the binding surface for the histidine-containing phosphocarrier protein HPr on the N-terminal domain of enzyme I of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system. Biochemistry. 1997;36:4393-8 pubmed..5 kDa histidine-containing phosphocarrier protein HPr of the Escherichia coli phosphoenolpyruvate:sugar phosphotransferase system has been investigated by heteronuclear ..
- Plumbridge J. Expression of the phosphotransferase system both mediates and is mediated by Mlc regulation in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1999;33:260-73 pubmed..Transcription of ptsH p0 and ptsG are subject to the same regulatory pattern...
- Jia Z, Quail J, Waygood E, Delbaere L. The 2.0-A resolution structure of Escherichia coli histidine-containing phosphocarrier protein HPr. A redetermination. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:22490-501 pubmedThe x-ray structure of Escherichia coli HPr has been redetermined at 2.0-A resolution. In contrast to the previous study (El-Kabbani, O. A. L., Waygood, E. B., and Delbaere, L. T. J. (1987) J. Biol. Chem...
- Britton P, Boronat A, Hartley D, Jones Mortimer M, Kornberg H, Parra F. Phosphotransferase-mediated regulation of carbohydrate utilization in Escherichia coli K12: location of the gsr (tgs) and iex (crr) genes by specialized transduction. J Gen Microbiol. 1983;129:349-56 pubmed..illegitimate recombination event, the distribution of phage types showed that the gene order is cysA gsr ptsI (ptsH, iex) cysZ lig; both gsr+ and iex+ were dominant...
- Hall B, Xu L, Ochman H. Physical map location of the asc (formerly sac) operon of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:5250 pubmed
- Lee C, Saier M. Mannitol-specific enzyme II of the bacterial phosphotransferase system. III. The nucleotide sequence of the permease gene. J Biol Chem. 1983;258:10761-7 pubmed..The possible functions of such a protein structure are discussed. RNA mapping has identified the promoter and mRNA start point for the mtl operon. ..
- Hu J, Hu K, Williams D, Komlosh M, Cai M, Clore G. Solution NMR structures of productive and non-productive complexes between the A and B domains of the cytoplasmic subunit of the mannose transporter of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:11024-37 pubmed publisher..The non-productive IIA(Man)-IIB(Man) complex may possibly be relevant to subsequent phosphoryl transfer from His-175 of IIB(Man) to the incoming sugar located on the transmembrane IIC(Man)-IID(Man) complex. ..
- Keyhani N, Roseman S. Wild-type Escherichia coli grows on the chitin disaccharide, N,N'-diacetylchitobiose, by expressing the cel operon. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:14367-71 pubmed..Furthermore, sequencing evidence indicates that the operon contains an additional gene of unknown function to be designated as chbG. Thus, the overall gene sequence is to be named chbBCARFG. ..
- Chen Q, Amster Choder O. BglF, the sensor of the bgl system and the beta-glucosides permease of Escherichia coli: evidence for dimerization and intersubunit phosphotransfer. Biochemistry. 1998;37:8714-23 pubmed..The membrane-bound sensor, BglF, has two phosphorylation sites: site 1 accepts a phosphoryl group from HPr and delivers it to site 2; site 2 delivers the phosphoryl group either to beta-glucosides or to BglG...
- Keyhani N, Rodgers M, Demeler B, Hansen J, Roseman S. Analytical sedimentation of the IIAChb and IIBChb proteins of the Escherichia coli N,N'-diacetylchitobiose phosphotransferase system. Demonstration of a model phosphotransfer transition state complex. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:33110-5 pubmed..A model is presented that describes the concerted assembly and disassembly of IIA(Chb)-IIB(Chb) complexes contingent on phosphorylation-dependent conformational changes, especially of IIA(Chb). ..
- Hall B, Betts P. Cryptic genes for cellobiose utilization in natural isolates of Escherichia coli. Genetics. 1987;115:431-9 pubmed..It is estimated that in any random isolate the probability of any particular cluster having been irreversibly inactivated by the accumulation of random mutations is about 0.5. ..
- Weigel N, Powers D, Roseman S. Sugar transport by the bacterial phosphotransferase system. Primary structure and active site of a general phosphocarrier protein (HPr) from Salmonella typhimurium. J Biol Chem. 1982;257:14499-509 pubmedThe general histidine-containing phosphocarrier protein (HPr) of the Salmonella phosphotransferase system is required for the phosphorylation of all sugar substrates by this system...
- Nobelmann B, Lengeler J. Sequence of the gat operon for galactitol utilization from a wild-type strain EC3132 of Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1995;1262:69-72 pubmed..All genes are highly similar to the gat genes from E. coli K-12; in this organism they map at 46.70 min of the gene map, equivalent to about 2180-2186 kbp...
- Yamada M, Saier M. Positive and negative regulators for glucitol (gut) operon expression in Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1988;203:569-83 pubmed..An additional cistron of the gut operon, of unknown function, may follow the gutR gene. ..
- Boos W, Ehmann U, Forkl H, Klein W, Rimmele M, Postma P. Trehalose transport and metabolism in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:3450-61 pubmed..The phenotype of this mutant indicated that trehalose-6-phosphate is the effective in vivo inducer of the system. ..
- Parker L, Hall B. Characterization and nucleotide sequence of the cryptic cel operon of Escherichia coli K12. Genetics. 1990;124:455-71 pubmed..We conclude that the genes for these two enzyme IIIs diverged much more recently than did their hosts, indicating that E. coli and S. aureus have undergone relatively recent exchange of chromosomal genes. ..
- Klein W, Horlacher R, Boos W. Molecular analysis of treB encoding the Escherichia coli enzyme II specific for trehalose. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:4043-52 pubmed..Instead, enzyme IITre-mediated phosphorylation of trehalose requires the activity of enzyme IIAGlc, a component of the major glucose transport system. ..
- Caramel A, Schnetz K. Lac and lambda repressors relieve silencing of the Escherichia coli bgl promoter. Activation by alteration of a repressing nucleoprotein complex. J Mol Biol. 1998;284:875-83 pubmed
- Azuaga A, Canet D, Smeenk G, Berends R, Titgemeijer F, Duurkens R, et al. Characterization of single-tryptophan mutants of histidine-containing phosphocarrier protein: evidence for local rearrangements during folding from high concentrations of denaturant. Biochemistry. 2003;42:4883-95 pubmed..the stability and folding behavior of a small globular protein, the histidine-containing phosphocarrier protein (HPr)...
- Fux L, Nussbaum Shochat A, Lopian L, Amster Choder O. Modulation of monomer conformation of the BglG transcriptional antiterminator from Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:6775-81 pubmed..Based on these results we suggest a model for the modulation of BglG conformation and activity by BglF. ..
- Yagur Kroll S, Amster Choder O. Dynamic membrane topology of the Escherichia coli beta-glucoside transporter BglF. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:19306-18 pubmed..This is the first systematic topological study carried out with an intact phosphotransferase system permease and the first demonstration of a reentrant loop in this group of proteins. ..
- Flores S, Flores N, de Anda R, Gonzalez A, Escalante A, Sigala J, et al. Nutrient-scavenging stress response in an Escherichia coli strain lacking the phosphoenolpyruvate: carbohydrate phosphotransferase system, as explored by gene expression profile analysis. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2005;10:51-63 pubmed..This condition is responsible of the utilization of secondary carbon sources in the presence of glucose. ..
- Yu T, Yun Y, Lee K, Ahn K, Suh J. Active site phosphoryl groups in the biphosphorylated phosphotransferase complex reveal dynamics in a millisecond time scale. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:1439-44 pubmed publisherThe N-terminal domain of Enzyme I (EIN) and phosphocarrier HPr can form a biphosphorylated complex when they are both phosphorylated by excess cellular phosphoenolpyruvate...
- Figge R, Ramseier T, Saier M. The mannitol repressor (MtlR) of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:840-7 pubmed..5. It is homologous to the product of an open reading frame (URF2D) upstream of the E. coli gapB gene but represents a novel type of transcriptional regulatory protein. ..
- Singh J, Mukerji M, Mahadevan S. Transcriptional activation of the Escherichia coli bgl operon: negative regulation by DNA structural elements near the promoter. Mol Microbiol. 1995;17:1085-92 pubmed..These results suggest that the cryptic nature of the bgl promoter is because of the presence of DNA structural elements near the promoter that negatively affect transcription. ..
- Rohwer J, Meadow N, Roseman S, Westerhoff H, Postma P. Understanding glucose transport by the bacterial phosphoenolpyruvate:glycose phosphotransferase system on the basis of kinetic measurements in vitro. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:34909-21 pubmed
- Curtis S, Epstein W. Phosphorylation of D-glucose in Escherichia coli mutants defective in glucosephosphotransferase, mannosephosphotransferase, and glucokinase. J Bacteriol. 1975;122:1189-99 pubmed..The locus of mutations to loss of mannosephosphotransferase, mpt, is between the eda and fadD genes. Mutations to loss of glucokinase, glk, are between the ptsI and dsd genes. ..
- Parra F, Britton P, Castle C, Jones Mortimer M, Kornberg H. Two separate genes involved in sulphate transport in Escherichia coli K12. J Gen Microbiol. 1983;129:357-8 pubmed
- Ueguchi C, Suzuki T, Yoshida T, Tanaka K, Mizuno T. Systematic mutational analysis revealing the functional domain organization of Escherichia coli nucleoid protein H-NS. J Mol Biol. 1996;263:149-62 pubmed..This finding is also addressed with regard to a unique regulatory mechanism (i.e. silencing) for the bgl operon, which is partly mediated by H-NS. ..
- Hall B. Activation of the bgl operon by adaptive mutation. Mol Biol Evol. 1998;15:1-5 pubmed..coli. ..
- Jung Y, Cai M, Clore G. Solution structure of the IIAChitobiose-HPr complex of the N,N'-diacetylchitobiose branch of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:23819-29 pubmed publisher..complex of enzyme IIA of the N,N'-diacetylchitobiose (Chb) transporter with the histidine phosphocarrier protein HPr has been solved by NMR...
- Chen Q, Nussbaum Shochat A, Amster Choder O. A novel sugar-stimulated covalent switch in a sugar sensor. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:44751-6 pubmed
- Ray W, Larson T. Application of AgaR repressor and dominant repressor variants for verification of a gene cluster involved in N-acetylgalactosamine metabolism in Escherichia coli K-12. Mol Microbiol. 2004;51:813-26 pubmed..The apparent ability to produce negatively dominant and non-inducible variants of proteins of the DeoR/GlpR family of currently unknown function will likely facilitate screening for function. ..
- Bettenbrock K, Fischer S, Kremling A, Jahreis K, Sauter T, Gilles E. A quantitative approach to catabolite repression in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:2578-84 pubmed..The different phenomena affecting the phosphorylation level of EIIACrr, the key regulation molecule for inducer exclusion and catabolite repression in enteric bacteria, can now be explained quantitatively. ..
- Prior T, Kornberg H. Nucleotide sequence of fruA, the gene specifying enzyme IIfru of the phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent sugar phosphotransferase system in Escherichia coli K12. J Gen Microbiol. 1988;134:2757-68 pubmed..residues (His381) of Enzyme IIfru and those surrounding the particular histidines of other Enzymes II, and of HPr, known to be involved in phosphorylation...
- Napper S, Prasad L, Delbaere L. Structural investigation of a phosphorylation-catalyzed, isoaspartate-free, protein succinimide: crystallographic structure of post-succinimide His15Asp histidine-containing protein. Biochemistry. 2008;47:9486-96 pubmed publisher..We previously reported the serendipitous creation of a protein, His15Asp histidine-containing protein (HPr), which undergoes phosphorylation-catalyzed formation of a succinimide whose hydrolysis is seemingly exclusive for ..
- Brun Y, Lapointe J. Locations of genes in the 52-minute region on the physical map of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:4746-7 pubmed
- Kricker M, Hall B. Directed evolution of cellobiose utilization in Escherichia coli K12. Mol Biol Evol. 1984;1:171-82 pubmed..A fourth gene at an unknown location increases the growth rate on cellobiose. The cel genes constitute a second cryptic system for beta-glucoside utilization in E. coli K12. ..
- Meadow N, Mattoo R, Savtchenko R, Roseman S. Transient state kinetics of Enzyme I of the phosphoenolpyruvate:glycose phosphotransferase system of Escherichia coli: equilibrium and second-order rate constants for the phosphotransfer reactions with phosphoenolpyruvate and HPr. Biochemistry. 2005;44:12790-6 pubmed..Enzyme I by phosphoenolpyruvate followed by the transfer of the phospho group to the low-molecular weight protein, HPr. Transient state kinetic methods were used to estimate the second-order rate constants for both phosphotransfer ..
- Ruijter G, van Meurs G, Verwey M, Postma P, van Dam K. Analysis of mutations that uncouple transport from phosphorylation in enzyme IIGlc of the Escherichia coli phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent phosphotransferase system. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:2843-50 pubmed..were able to transport glucose in the absence of the general phosphoryl-carrying proteins of the PTS, enzyme I and HPr, although with relatively low affinity. Km values of the uncoupled enzymes IIGlc for glucose ranged from 0.5 to 2...
- Prasad I, Schaefler S. Regulation of the beta-glucoside system in Escherchia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1974;120:638-50 pubmed..It is, therefore, proposed that the bglB, bglS, bglR, bglC genes form a bgl operon. ..
- Defez R, De Felice M. Cryptic operon for beta-glucoside metabolism in Escherichia coli K12: genetic evidence for a regulatory protein. Genetics. 1981;97:11-25 pubmed..We propose that bglY encodes a protein acting as a repressor of the bglBSRC operon, active in both the presence and absence of beta-glucosides, whose recognition site would be within the bglR locus. ..
- Sampaio M, Chevance F, Dippel R, Eppler T, Schlegel A, Boos W, et al. Phosphotransferase-mediated transport of the osmolyte 2-O-alpha-mannosyl-D-glycerate in Escherichia coli occurs by the product of the mngA (hrsA) gene and is regulated by the mngR (farR) gene product acting as repressor. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:5537-48 pubmed..Thus, MngR is the regulator (repressor) of the MG transport/metabolism system. Thus, the mngR mngA mngB gene cluster encodes an MG utilizing system. ..
- Schnierow B, Yamada M, Saier M. Partial nucleotide sequence of the pts operon in Salmonella typhimurium: comparative analyses in five bacterial genera. Mol Microbiol. 1989;3:113-8 pubmed..DNA segment of 549 base pairs which encompasses the operator-promoter of the pts operon, the entirety of the ptsH gene, encoding HPr of the phosphotransferase system (PTS), the first 29 nucleotides of the ptsI gene, encoding ..
- Sonden B, Uhlin B. Coordinated and differential expression of histone-like proteins in Escherichia coli: regulation and function of the H-NS analog StpA. EMBO J. 1996;15:4970-80 pubmed..Evidently, these proteins have both overlapping and distinct functions in the cell, and they are both important for normal cell growth and gene control. ..
- Schnetz K, Rak B. Regulation of the bgl operon of Escherichia coli by transcriptional antitermination. EMBO J. 1988;7:3271-7 pubmed..The bgl promoter (P0) is not subject to substrate-dependent regulation. The bgl operon has two additional promoters (P1 and P2) located within the terminators, which could also participate in regulation. ..
- Plumbridge J. Sequence of the nagBACD operon in Escherichia coli K12 and pattern of transcription within the nag regulon. Mol Microbiol. 1989;3:505-15 pubmed..A second promoter producing nagD-specific transcripts has been mapped just in front of the nagD gene...
- Thapar R, Nicholson E, Rajagopal P, Waygood E, Scholtz J, Klevit R. Influence of N-cap mutations on the structure and stability of Escherichia coli HPr. Biochemistry. 1996;35:11268-77 pubmed..describes the effect of N-capping substitutions on the structure and stability of histidine-containing protein (HPr)...
- Manna D, Wang X, Higgins N. Mu and IS1 transpositions exhibit strong orientation bias at the Escherichia coli bgl locus. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:3328-35 pubmed..Transposon hot-spot behavior and orientation bias may relate to an asymmetry of transposon DNA-protein complexes and to interactions with proteins that produce transcriptionally silenced chromatin. ..
- Ramseier T, Negre D, Cortay J, Scarabel M, Cozzone A, Saier M. In vitro binding of the pleiotropic transcriptional regulatory protein, FruR, to the fru, pps, ace, pts and icd operons of Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium. J Mol Biol. 1993;234:28-44 pubmed..Computer searches revealed the presence of this sequence in numerous functionally diverse operons, implying that FruR is a global transcriptional regulatory protein in enteric bacteria. ..
- Ab E, Schuurman Wolters G, Saier M, Reizer J, Jacuinod M, Roepstorff P, et al. Enzyme IIBcellobiose of the phosphoenol-pyruvate-dependent phosphotransferase system of Escherichia coli: backbone assignment and secondary structure determined by three-dimensional NMR spectroscopy. Protein Sci. 1994;3:282-90 pubmed..These data show that enzyme IIBcellobiose consists of a 4-stranded parallel beta-sheet and 5 alpha-helices. In the wild-type enzyme IIBcellobiose, the catalytic residue appears to be located at the end of a beta-strand. ..
- Parra F, Jones Mortimer M, Kornberg H. Phosphotransferase-mediated regulation of carbohydrate utilization in Escherichia coli K12: the nature of the iex (crr) and gsr (tgs) mutations. J Gen Microbiol. 1983;129:337-48 pubmed..The iex mutation does not affect the phosphorylation of either of these compounds...
- Cornilescu G, Lee B, Cornilescu C, Wang G, Peterkofsky A, Clore G. Solution structure of the phosphoryl transfer complex between the cytoplasmic A domain of the mannitol transporter IIMannitol and HPr of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:42289-98 pubmed..A domain (IIA(Mtl)) of the mannitol transporter II(Mannitol) and the histidine-containing phosphocarrier protein (HPr) of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system has been solved by NMR, including the use of conjoined rigid ..
- Vos E, ter Horst R, Poolman B, Broos J. Domain complementation studies reveal residues critical for the activity of the mannitol permease from Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1788:581-6 pubmed publisher..The involvement of specific residue positions in the oligomeric functioning of a sugar-translocating EII protein has not been presented before. ..
- Ab E, Schuurman Wolters G, Nijlant D, Dijkstra K, Saier M, Robillard G, et al. NMR structure of cysteinyl-phosphorylated enzyme IIB of the N,N'-diacetylchitobiose-specific phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent phosphotransferase system of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 2001;308:993-1009 pubmed..We propose a proton relay network by which a transfer occurs between the cysteine SH proton and the solvent via the hydroxyl group of Thr16. ..
- Aboulwafa M, Saier M. Characterization of soluble enzyme II complexes of the Escherichia coli phosphotransferase system. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:8453-62 pubmed..coli. Thus, both phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent phosphotransferase system enzymes exist in soluble and membrane-integrated forms that exhibit dissimilar physical and kinetic properties...
- Keyhani N, Wang L, Lee Y, Roseman S. The chitin disaccharide, N,N'-diacetylchitobiose, is catabolized by Escherichia coli and is transported/phosphorylated by the phosphoenolpyruvate:glycose phosphotransferase system. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:33084-90 pubmed..that transport of [(3)H]Me-TCB and (GlcNAc)(2) involves a specific PTS Enzyme II complex, requires Enzyme I and HPr of the PTS, and results in the accumulation of the sugar derivative as a phosphate ester...