Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: proW
Description: glycine betaine/proline ABC transporter permease
Alias: ECK2672, JW2653, osrA, proU
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Prigent Combaret C, Vidal O, Dorel C, Lejeune P. Abiotic surface sensing and biofilm-dependent regulation of gene expression in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:5993-6002 pubmed..in sessile bacteria: the OmpC porin, the high-affinity transport system of glycine betaine (encoded by the proU operon), the colanic acid exopolysaccharide (wca locus, formerly called cps), tripeptidase T (pepT), and the nickel ..
- Gul N, Poolman B. Functional reconstitution and osmoregulatory properties of the ProU ABC transporter from Escherichia coli. Mol Membr Biol. 2013;30:138-48 pubmed publisherThe ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporter ProU from Escherichia coli translocates a wide range of compatible solutes and contributes to the regulation of cell volume, which is particularly important when the osmolality of the environment ..
- Stirling D, Hulton C, Waddell L, Park S, Stewart G, Booth I, et al. Molecular characterization of the proU loci of Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli encoding osmoregulated glycine betaine transport systems. Mol Microbiol. 1989;3:1025-38 pubmedThe proU loci of Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli encode high-affinity glycine betaine transport systems which play an important role in survival under osmotic stress...
- Gowrishankar J, Jayashree P, Rajkumari K. Molecular cloning of an osmoregulatory locus in Escherichia coli: increased proU gene dosage results in enhanced osmotolerance. J Bacteriol. 1986;168:1197-204 pubmedThe proU locus in Escherichia coli encodes an important osmoregulatory function which mediates the growth-promoting effect of L-proline and glycine betaine in high-osmolarity media...
- May G, Faatz E, Villarejo M, Bremer E. Binding protein dependent transport of glycine betaine and its osmotic regulation in Escherichia coli K12. Mol Gen Genet. 1986;205:225-33 pubmed..of a high-affinity, binding protein dependent transport system for glycine betaine, which is encoded by the proU region...
- Gowrishankar J. Identification of osmoresponsive genes in Escherichia coli: evidence for participation of potassium and proline transport systems in osmoregulation. J Bacteriol. 1985;164:434-45 pubmed..obtained to support the notion that osrA codes for an osmoresponsive L-proline transport system and is homologus to proU in Salmonella typhimurium...
- Prince W, Villarejo M. Osmotic control of proU transcription is mediated through direct action of potassium glutamate on the transcription complex. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:17673-9 pubmedOsmoregulated transcription from the proU promoter of Escherichia coli has been successfully reconstituted from purified components in a simple in vitro system consisting of plasmid DNA template, RNA polymerase, and nucleotides in the ..
- Nandineni M, Laishram R, Gowrishankar J. Osmosensitivity associated with insertions in argP (iciA) or glnE in glutamate synthase-deficient mutants of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:6391-9 pubmed..Insertions conferring an osmosensitive phenotype were identified in the proU, argP (formerly iciA), and glnE genes encoding a glycine betaine/proline transporter, a LysR-type transcriptional ..