Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ppsA
Description: phosphoenolpyruvate synthase
Alias: ECK1700, JW1692, pps
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Narindrasorasak S, Bridger W. Probes of the structure of phosphoenolpyruvate synthetase: effects of a transition state analogue on enzyme conformation. Can J Biochem. 1978;56:816-9 pubmed..These results indicate the formation of an enclosed structure during catalysis in which reactive groups are rendered quite inaccessible to solvent. ..
- van der Rest M, Frank C, Molenaar D. Functions of the membrane-associated and cytoplasmic malate dehydrogenases in the citric acid cycle of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:6892-9 pubmed..1.1.38 and EC 188.8.131.52, respectively) and of the phosphoenolpyruvate synthase (EC 184.108.40.206) gene pps were created. They were introduced separately or together with the deletion of mqo...
- Cooper R, Kornberg H. The direct synthesis of phosphoenolpyruvate from pyruvate by Escherichia coli. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 1967;168:263-80 pubmed
- Berman K, Cohn M. Phosphoenolpyruvate synthetase of Escherichia coli. Purification, some properties, and the role of divalent metal ions. J Biol Chem. 1970;245:5309-18 pubmed
- Cooper R, Kornberg H. The mechanism of the phosphoenolpyruvate synthase reaction. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1967;141:211-3 pubmed
- Cook A, Knowles J. Phosphoenolpyruvate synthetase and pyruvate, orthophosphate dikinase: stereochemical consequences at both the beta-phospho and gamma-phospho groups of ATP. Biochemistry. 1985;24:51-8 pubmed
- Rizk M, Liao J. Ensemble modeling for aromatic production in Escherichia coli. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6903 pubmed publisher..the overexpression of genes coding for transketolase (Tkt), transaldolase (Tal), and phosphoenolpyruvate synthase (Pps) to screen the ensemble, we arrive at a set of models that properly describes the known enzyme overexpression ..
- Kao K, Tran L, Liao J. A global regulatory role of gluconeogenic genes in Escherichia coli revealed by transcriptome network analysis. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:36079-87 pubmed..This work demonstrates that the gluconeogenic genes in Escherichia coli, ppsA, sfcA, and maeB, provide a feedback loop to the global regulator, cAMP receptor protein (CRP), in carbon source ..
- Han K, Park J, Seo H, Ahn K, Lee J. Multiple stressor-induced proteome responses of Escherichia coli BL21(DE3). J Proteome Res. 2008;7:1891-903 pubmed publisher..The quantitative and systematic proteome analyses that we have performed provide more detailed information on E. coli BL21(DE3), a widely used host strain for recombinant protein overexpression. ..
- Li Y, Liu Y, Wang S, Tong Z, Xu Q. [Co-expressions of phosphoenolpyruvate synthetase A (ppsA) and transketolase A (tktA) genes of Escherichia coli]. Sheng Wu Gong Cheng Xue Bao. 2003;19:301-6 pubmed..To channel more carbon flux into the aromatic pathway, one has to overcome pathways competing for PEP. ppsA and tktA are the key genes in central metabolism of aromatic amino acids biosynthesis...
- Phue J, Noronha S, Hattacharyya R, Wolfe A, Shiloach J. Glucose metabolism at high density growth of E. coli B and E. coli K: differences in metabolic pathways are responsible for efficient glucose utilization in E. coli B as determined by microarrays and Northern blot analyses. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2005;90:805-20 pubmed..The inactivation of the gluconeogenesis enzyme phosphoenolpyruvate synthetase (ppsA), the activation of the anaplerotic sfcA shunt, and low and stable pyruvate dehydrogenase (aceE, aceF) cause ..
- Cooper R, Kornberg H. Net formation of phosphoenolpyruvate from pyruvate by Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1965;104:618-20 pubmed
- Narindrasorasak S, Bridger W. Phosphoenolypyruvate synthetase of Escherichia coli: molecular weight, subunit composition, and identification of phosphohistidine in phosphoenzyme intermediate. J Biol Chem. 1977;252:3121-7 pubmed..Several lines of evidence, including identification of 3-phosphohistidine in alkaline digests of the phosphoenzyme, indicate that a histidyl residue is the site of phosphorylation. ..
- Berman K, Cohn M. Phosphoenolpyruvate synthetase. Partial reactions studied with adenosine triphosphate analogues and the inorganic phosphate-H2 18O exchange reaction. J Biol Chem. 1970;245:5319-25 pubmed
- Oh M, Liao J. Gene expression profiling by DNA microarrays and metabolic fluxes in Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Prog. 2000;16:278-86 pubmed..For example, several genes were unexpectedly up-regulated, such as pps, ilvG, aroF, secA, and dsbA in acetate and asnA and asnB in glycerol, or down-regulated, such as ackA, pta, and ..
- Brice C, Kornberg H. Location of a gene specifying phosphopyruvate synthase activity on the genome of Escherichia coli, K12. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 1967;168:281-92 pubmed
- Geerse R, van der Pluijm J, Postma P. The repressor of the PEP:fructose phosphotransferase system is required for the transcription of the pps gene of Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;218:348-52 pubmedWe have cloned the pps gene, coding for PEP synthase, of Escherichia coli. PEP synthase catalyses the ATP-dependent conversion of pyruvate into phosphoenol-pyruvate and is required for gluconeogenesis...
- Shen T, Liu Q, Xie X, Xu Q, Chen N. Improved production of tryptophan in genetically engineered Escherichia coli with TktA and PpsA overexpression. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2012;2012:605219 pubmed publisherIntracellular precursor supply is a critical factor for amino acid productivity. In the present study, ppsA and tktA genes were overexpressed in genetically engineered Escherichia coli to enhance the availability of two precursor ..
- Tamura M, Honda N, Fujimoto H, Cohen S, Kato A. PpsA-mediated alternative pathway to complement RNase E essentiality in Escherichia coli. Arch Microbiol. 2016;198:409-21 pubmed publisher..suggested that reduction in RNase E is associated with decreased expression of phosphoenolpyruvate synthetase (PpsA), which converts pyruvate to phosphoenolpyruvate during gluconeogenesis...