Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pitA
Description: phosphate transporter, low-affinity; tellurite importer
Alias: ECK3478, JW3460, pit
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Rao N, Torriani A. Molecular aspects of phosphate transport in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1990;4:1083-90 pubmedEscherichia coli transports inorganic phosphate (Pi) by the low-affinity transport system, Pit. When the level of the external Pi is lower than 20 microM, another transport system, Pst, is induced with a Kt of 0.25 microM...
- Lee K, Kenney F. Induction of alanine transaminase by adrenal steroids in cultured hepatoma cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1970;40:469-75 pubmed
- Elías A, Abarca M, Montes R, Chasteen T, Pérez Donoso J, Vásquez C. Tellurite enters Escherichia coli mainly through the PitA phosphate transporter. Microbiologyopen. 2012;1:259-67 pubmed publisher..Results showed that the PitA phosphate transporter was related to tellurite uptake...
- ElÃas A, DÃaz VÃ¡squez W, Abarca Lagunas M, Chasteen T, Arenas F, VÃ¡squez C. The ActP acetate transporter acts prior to the PitA phosphate carrier in tellurite uptake by Escherichia coli. Microbiol Res. 2015;177:15-21 pubmed publisher..While the PitA phosphate transporter is thought to be one of the main paths responsible for toxicant entry into Escherichia coli, ..
- Rosenberg H, Gerdes R, Chegwidden K. Two systems for the uptake of phosphate in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1977;131:505-11 pubmed..A comparison of these strains showed that one of the systems (PIT) was fully constitutive, required no binding protein, and operated in spheroplasts...
- Hoffer S, Tommassen J. The phosphate-binding protein of Escherichia coli is not essential for P(i)-regulated expression of the pho regulon. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:5768-71 pubmed..We demonstrate that P(i)-controlled expression is restored when the activity of the P(i) transporter PitA or PitB is increased. Apparently, PstS is not an essential component of the signal transduction pathway.
- Jackson R, Binet M, Lee L, Ma R, Graham A, McLeod C, et al. Expression of the PitA phosphate/metal transporter of Escherichia coli is responsive to zinc and inorganic phosphate levels. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2008;289:219-24 pubmed publisher..The Pst system (pstSCAB) is inducible by low phosphate concentrations whereas the low-affinity transporter (pitA) has been described as constitutively expressed...