Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: phnD
Description: phosphonate ABC transporter periplasmic binding protein
Alias: ECK4098, JW4066, psiD
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Elashvili I, DeFrank J, Culotta V. phnE and glpT genes enhance utilization of organophosphates in Escherichia coli K-12. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1998;64:2601-8 pubmed..This result indicates that in E. coli, X-Pi is transported exclusively by the Phn system, whereas DIPP (or its metabolite) may be transported by both Phn and Glp systems. ..
- Yakovleva G, Kim S, Wanner B. Phosphate-independent expression of the carbon-phosphorus lyase activity of Escherichia coli. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 1998;49:573-8 pubmed..coli cells, releasing the carbon moiety into the periplasm. These data are in agreement with the observation that phosphonates cannot serve as the carbon source for E. coli growth. ..
- Alicea I, Marvin J, Miklos A, Ellington A, Looger L, Schreiter E. Structure of the Escherichia coli phosphonate binding protein PhnD and rationally optimized phosphonate biosensors. J Mol Biol. 2011;414:356-69 pubmed publisherThe phnD gene of Escherichia coli encodes the periplasmic binding protein of the phosphonate (Pn) uptake and utilization pathway. We have crystallized and determined structures of E...
- Hare R, Walker S, Dorman T, Greene J, Guzman L, Kenney T, et al. Genetic footprinting in bacteria. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:1694-706 pubmed..In addition, the ability of recombinant proteins to complement mutagenized hosts has been evaluated by genetic footprinting using a bacteriophage lambda transposon delivery system. ..
- Metcalf W, Wanner B. Evidence for a fourteen-gene, phnC to phnP locus for phosphonate metabolism in Escherichia coli. Gene. 1993;129:27-32 pubmed..Also, these plasmids were employed to introduce nonpolar phnD::lacZ and phnD::uidA fusions into the chromosome, which allowed us to show that phnD probably has a role in ..
- Wackett L, Wanner B, Venditti C, Walsh C. Involvement of the phosphate regulon and the psiD locus in carbon-phosphorus lyase activity of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:1753-6 pubmed..Since psiD::lacZ(Mu d1) mutants cannot metabolize methylphosphonic acid, psiD may be the structural gene(s) for C-P lyase.
- Makino K, Kim S, Shinagawa H, Amemura M, Nakata A. Molecular analysis of the cryptic and functional phn operons for phosphonate use in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:2665-72 pubmed..Studies of the structure, regulation, and function of the phn region suggest that the phosphate starvation-inducible phn operon consists of 14 cistrons from phnC to phnP. ..
- Wanner B. Genes for phosphonate biodegradation in Escherichia coli. SAAS Bull Biochem Biotechnol. 1992;5:1-6 pubmed..Fourteen genes for phosphonate metabolism comprise the phnC-to-phnP gene cluster: three gene products (PhnC, PhnD, and PhnE) comprise a binding protein-dependent phosphonate transporter, which also transports Pi and phosphate ..