Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: phnC
Description: phosphonate ABC transporter ATPase
Alias: ECK4099, JW4067
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Elashvili I, DeFrank J, Culotta V. phnE and glpT genes enhance utilization of organophosphates in Escherichia coli K-12. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1998;64:2601-8 pubmed..This result indicates that in E. coli, X-Pi is transported exclusively by the Phn system, whereas DIPP (or its metabolite) may be transported by both Phn and Glp systems. ..
- Iqbal S, Parker G, Davidson H, Moslehi Rahmani E, Robson R. Reversible phase variation in the phnE gene, which is required for phosphonate metabolism in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:6118-23 pubmed
- Rizk S, Cuneo M, Hellinga H. Identification of cognate ligands for the Escherichia coli phnD protein product and engineering of a reagentless fluorescent biosensor for phosphonates. Protein Sci. 2006;15:1745-51 pubmed..Since MP is the final degradation product of many nerve agents, these PhnD conjugates can function as components in a biosensor system for chemical warfare agents. ..
- Wanner B, Boline J. Mapping and molecular cloning of the phn (psiD) locus for phosphonate utilization in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:1186-96 pubmed..However, no gross structural change was detected in independent Phn+ phn(EcoK) mutants that have activating mutations near the phn locus. ..
- Chen C, Ye Q, Zhu Z, Wanner B, Walsh C. Molecular biology of carbon-phosphorus bond cleavage. Cloning and sequencing of the phn (psiD) genes involved in alkylphosphonate uptake and C-P lyase activity in Escherichia coli B. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:4461-71 pubmed..Sequence homology searches identify PhnC, PhnK, PhnL, and, possibly, PhnN proteins as members of nucleotide-binding proteins of the binding protein-..
- Saurin W, Dassa E. Sequence relationships between integral inner membrane proteins of binding protein-dependent transport systems: evolution by recurrent gene duplications. Protein Sci. 1994;3:325-44 pubmed..According to this model, it is probable that these transport systems derive from an ancestral system having only 1 hydrophobic membrane protein.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..